• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Black History Month - Argyle related

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
As it is Black History Month and our Jack Leslie has received good exposure of late, it made me think of the first black player I could remember seeing play against Argyle and, along with that as a discussion point, who was the best black player seen play against Argyle and perhaps for Argyle ?

I saw Albert Johanneson play for Leeds in 1963, I think he was the first one I can remember (we lost 1-0).

As for the best, it´s a toss up between Laurie Cunningham (Orient) and Ruud Gullitt (Chelsea friendly).

For Argyle I would say Curtis Nelson.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Ebanks-Blake possibly, did end up doing a job in the Premier League for Wolves.

Special mention for Hayles in his first season too - fantastic.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
First black player for Argyle I remember was Calvin Plummer. Can't really remember if he was good or bad.

Best I've seen amongst our ranks were all in Holloway's side - SEB, Hayles, Sinclair, all for different qualities. Best black player I've seen us play against was Ruud Gullit - anyone at that Chelsea friendly will probably say that. It was like a level of footballer never seen at Home Park before or since.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I can remember Ade Coaker for West Ham in a reserve match. Loads of went to see him as he was a star on Match of the Day a few weeks before.

The earliest (and best) black player I can remember playing is in the league was Laurie Cunningham in 1977 he played against us for Orient and he absolutely took us apart. Scored a cracking goal as well.

Aug 8, 2013
I remember Tyrone James as a decent back in the
late 70's. Can't recall anyone before that.

Nov 2, 2004
In the early 60s Albert Johannson who played for Leeds Utd, he was brilliant and was the first black person I had ever physically seen. He became a short term hero as Leeds and him swept everything before them.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
IJN":r4v7ool1 said:
I can remember Ade Coaker for West Ham in a reserve match. Loads of went to see him as he was a star on Match of the Day a few weeks before.

The earliest (and best) black player I can remember playing is in the league was Laurie Cunningham in 1977 he played against us for Orient and he absolutely took us apart. Scored a cracking goal as well.

Adi Coker and Clyde Best played in the same Hammers side I believe.

Horsley Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Sep 21, 2003
West Horsley
Our very own Michael Trebilcock went onto to play for Everton and I think was the first black player to score a goal in an F A Cup Final.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Bernie Bernbaum":2kpnxips said:
IJN":2kpnxips said:

Adi Coker and Clyde Best played in the same Hammers side I believe.

I sort of remember thinking that, but I have the vaguest of memories that he didn't play, but I could easily be wrong. I certainly know I wanted to see him most of all the Hammers that day.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
cheshiregreen":9z628wwy said:
Graham Evans":9z628wwy said:
Chobham Green":9z628wwy said:
Our very own Michael Trebilcock went onto to play for Everton and I think was the first black player to score a goal in an F A Cup Final.
Mike Trabilcock is not a black guy?

I beg to differ. And it's Trebilcock.

I do believe Mike Trebilcock was a 'war baby' His Dad served in the US forces and was stationed in the area prior to D-day
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Trebilcock

Dec 21, 2010
Clive Charles, Ade Coaker and Clyde Best created a record at the time for three black players turning out for a First Division team. It's ironic that I was approached by the National Front outside Upton Park and asked if I hated black people !

Mar 22, 2020
Tyrone James was the first black Argyle player I saw. The best for us in the modern era I'd say was Scott Sinclair and against us although he got a lot of stick from the green army, Lyle Taylor was magnificent for Charlton that Tuesday night.