Anoraks 56 - They've all done it! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Anoraks 56 - They've all done it!

Jan 11, 2016
Jack Cock, Sammy Black, Jack Leslie, Maurice Tadman, Gordon Astall, Neil Langman, Wilf Carter, Jimmy Gauld, Johnny Williams, Frank Lord, Paul Mariner, Billy Rafferty, Fred Binney, Kevin Hodges and many more have all done it.

Tommy Tynan once did it frustratingly - Mike Bickle once did it gloriously - Paul Wotton did it on three consecutive occasions and on two of them David Norris kept him company.

Of the present squad Gary Sawyer has done it twice and could make it three times this season.

Any offers?

Caribou

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jan 4, 2011
Gloucestershire
Martin_Brock":2kyty9ag said:
I would've said been top scorer for the club in a particular season, but that would rule out Gary Sawyer.

Something to do with captaincy?

M

I’m wondering if it is something to do with promotion winning captains.

Caribou

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jan 4, 2011
Gloucestershire
Caribou":vshn7g9k said:
Martin_Brock":vshn7g9k said:
I would've said been top scorer for the club in a particular season, but that would rule out Gary Sawyer.

Something to do with captaincy?

M

I’m wondering if it is something to do with promotion winning captains.

...but of course the three consecutive rules that out, quite apart from anything else. Back to school.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Jan 11, 2016
......is the right answer - which is a relief because the first clue was going to be that Howard Forinton had aslo done it!

Anyone going to pick up on the Mike Bickle and Tommy Tynan references. I was there for Mike Bickle's exploits - what a wonderful afternoon that was.

I notice it's Charlton at the Valley this Boxing Day which brings back memories of those Christmas goal fests against them when Wilf Carter scored his 5 in the return match on Dec 27 after the 4-6 on Boxing Day 1960. Great days!

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I remember the boxing day game when we beat Torquay 6 nil in front of 20,000 plus in a 3rd tier game. Bickle scored 4 and Piper 2 that day. I was behind the Devonport End goal and I'm sure one of Piper's was a direct free kick from just outside the box.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
jerryatricjanner":3gs98qob said:
I remember the boxing day game when we beat Torquay 6 nil in front of 20,000 plus in a 3rd tier game. Bickle scored 4 and Piper 2 that day. I was behind the Devonport End goal and I'm sure one of Piper's was a direct free kick from just outside the box.

Indeed it was. I remember it being the first ever swervy, bendy, Beckamesque free kick I ever saw live.

What a Happy Christmas that was !

Jan 11, 2016
Does anyone remember Tommy Tynan's losing hat-trick in the 3-4 at Ashton Gate on Boxing Day 1984? How did the scoring go? Were we always chasing the game or did they get a late winner?

And can anyone claim to have seen the two Gary Sawyer goals at Cardiff in 2009 and MKD in 2017?

For the record the three consecutive Paul Wotton occasions were

2003 h Bournemouth 2-2 + David Norris
2004 h QPR 2-1
2005 a Cardiff 2-0 + David Norris

.....and Howard Forinton at Barnet in 1998!