Brief Synopsis

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A battling win capped by two well worked goals although we were hanging on a bit at the end.

Doncaster were the better team in the first and final quarters of the game but we won it in the middle two quarters with some great attacking play.
We gave away another sloppy goal with Moore and Mayor very slow to move out of defence which left the Doncaster striker onside to score.

We came to life after the first 20 minutes in which Doncaster dominated possession and pinned us back in our half without troubling Cooper in goal.

Mayor was our (only) creative spark and was unplayable and it was him that turned the tide against Donny.

Jephcott had a chance well saved but soon after a fantastic run from Mayor finished with a ball cut back to Jephcott who fired home. The goal was all about Mayor's run and Jephcott's knack of finding space.
At the back Opoku was playing well and Fornah and Camara were winning the midfield battle.

Would we fall away in the second half?

Once again Mayor took the game to Donny and was at the heart of most attacks, although it did mean we were lopsided and predictable down the left.

A great ball from Watts found Moore in space and he moved to the byline before finding his fellow wing-back Edwards at the far post who slotted in what proved to be the winner.

Whether it was a conscious decision or that Donny raised their game but after the goal we sat back to protect the 2-0 lead. This led to unnecessary pressure and panic and Donny now started to create chances.

One particular scare came when we left only Moore back defending when we had a corner and sure enough Donny broke away and luckily, with Moore floundering, they didn't score.

Their goal was sloppy and was basic 'clear the lines and get up the pitch', Mayor and Moore ambled and allowed the Donny goal scorer the be onside.

With the previous anonymous ref now giving Donny free kicks at every opportunity we had to see out a late charge but thankfully we did - just!

Mayor had one of best games in a Green shirt, he did fade late in the game but so did the team.
It's a worry that if he's out of the game we don't have any creativity or flair which is why George Cooper is also critical to the team.

The defence played well and Okopu looked very assured. Will Canavan get back into the team?

Jephcott has the gift of movement and finding space, very Tynanesque!

Cooper did everything right with good handling and distribution, Donny's style of play didn't test him with crosses.

Hardie was very average, he ran into dead ends and struggled throughout.

Donny were neat and tidy but lacked a goal threat.

A good win to cap a very good start to the season which ironically we haven't really looked at our best, however we are picking up points. A week off now.

The commentator was obsessed with scores in other games.

Man of the match - Mayor.

Cooper 7, Aimson 6, Okopu 7, Watts 7, Fornah 7, Edwards 7, Camara 7, Mayor 8, Moore 7, Hardie 5, Jephcott 7. Subs Nouble 6, Abraham n/a.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
We got away with a sloppy last 20-25 minutes today. We seem to just go a bit ‘meh’ a bit too easily and too often for my liking.

It was Moore who played their striker onside. He was picking himself up off the floor in the penalty area at the time.

I liked the energy and bite that Fornah and Camara brought to the midfield in the first half. Nice dynamic and snappy they set the tempo a bit higher than normal.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
The only thing that worries me slightly with young Cooper is he tends to be a bit hesitant to come and claim the ball at times. They had a golden chance to score but the fella headed wide from about six yards out. Hopefully he is working on that side of the game.

Watts is starting to look the part after a shaky start long may that continue.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
All in all a good win. Expect Doncaster to be around the play offs.

Few observations.

Luke takes chances well, but, felt his first touch let him down a few times tonight. When Nouble isn't playing, our strikers need to find a way to hold the ball up so we can build attacks.

Byron Moore - great going forward but felt he was slow to spot danger second half when Donny pressed us after our second goal.

Like others thought Watts continued his recent improvement, Mayor glided past defenders gloriously, should have resulted in more goals.

The team had holes opening up second half, leaving Donny the chance to threaten us. Is it naivety with our young defenders Opoku and Watts or is it Fornah and Camara not spotting danger as the opposition piled forward?

Few days on training ground available now to address some of this.

Sep 30, 2018
Well done Argyle

Positives going forward.

We are winning at home, scoring a couple goals consistently, against different range of opponents(Doncaster, Blackpool, Northampton etc.).

Despite our limited amount of clean sheets across all games(2 so far), we finish games with a win...at home.

Our negatives are away from home, which is perhaps irrelevant, in the short term, with our next away league game against Fleetwood, in a months time..as well as tonight.

All the same, our inability to outscore Wigan, or to fail to score against hull and Lincoln, has lead me to believe, that there a positives going forward for us away from home...if we can get more creativity to support mayor.

Perhaps Telford can link things with him in a number 10 role, with..yes I said it.. a change of system... or something similar, as well as offering an attacking threat.

Otherwise, I worry away from home(2 draws, 2 losses).

So it's good that this is the only negative I can see, because, I genuinely believe we have better players, than our results away from home have suggested so far, and I can't see any negatives at home(4 wins, 1 draw).

We get results at home, and that's what counts.

Top stuff Argyle.

Keep it up. :D

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Our last 12 league game at home:

Won: 9
Dawn: 3
Lost: 0

30 points from a possible 36.

Very impressive.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
That is the third game that Aimson, Opoku and Watts formed our back three.
Watts is now a very consistent player who is winning the ball in the air and his distribution is very good. He has already proven that he can score goals.
Opoku was thrown in at the last minute at Lincoln and played on the left and was not convincing but it was unfair to judge him too harshly. His performance against Wigan was the first occasion that he played in the centre and looked OK. Tonight, I thought he was very good. He did well in a one on one to put the forward off without conceding a free kick which would probably have resulted in a red card.
Aimson is now looking match fit, looks a good defender although he occasionally misplaces a straightforward pass. However, I do remember one excellent crossfield pass to Byron Moore. I think he is getting there.
Doncaster are probably a better side than they showed tonight and I think that the back 3 can take a lot of credit for that.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
davie nine":1tja7hn6 said:
Watts is now a very consistent player who is winning the ball in the air and his distribution is very good. He has already proven that he can score goals.
Opoku was thrown in at the last minute at Lincoln and played on the left and was not convincing but it was unfair to judge him too harshly. His performance against Wigan was the first occasion that he played in the centre and looked OK. Tonight, I thought he was very good. He did well in a one on one to put the forward off without conceding a free kick which would probably have resulted in a red card.
Aimson is now looking match fit, looks a good defender although he occasionally misplaces a straightforward pass. However, I do remember one excellent crossfield pass to Byron Moore. I think he is getting there.
Doncaster are probably a better side than they showed tonight and I think that the back 3 can take a lot of credit for that.

Interesting take on the Opoku challenge. I think he was extremely fortunate the forward didn’t go down otherwise I think the ref would have had little option but to send him off and secondly he was lucky he didn’t score as he had been outmuscled and outpaced, had it been an Argyle striker we would have
been massively disappointed, I think it was a terrible finish.

Having said all that quite wtf he was doing isolated one on one with the striker from a long punt forward on a break is a mystery.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Larry David":845644nx said:
davie nine":845644nx said:

Interesting take on the Opoku challenge. I think he was extremely fortunate the forward didn’t go down otherwise I think the ref would have had little option but to send him off and secondly he was lucky he didn’t score as he had been outmuscled and outpaced, had it been an Argyle striker we would have
been massively disappointed, I think it was a terrible finish.

Having said all that quite wtf he was doing isolated one on one with the striker from a long punt forward on a break is a mystery.

If you’re both talking about the break from our own corner, it was Byron Moore who was last man, not Opoku. They don’t even look alike.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Yes, it was the commentator who incorrectly said it was Opoku as the last man.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
The more i see of Jephcott the more i see him in the same vain as Joe Mason.

Apart from the ability to find space and being calm their doesn't appear the physical attributes to play the game at this level, not quick, not big, not overly strong - but he has a knack/footballing brain to make the very best of what he does have. That you feel can only improve with more games at this level.

Mayor was excellent, the ability to beat players and wrong foot defenders is a real special talent that not many have, as others have said without him, you do wonder where the creative juices will come from.

Nine games in and in truth, i think we have to pleased with our start, the two defeats away at the current top two weren't catastrophic, we were at least Lincoln's equal in the first half of that game and i thought comfortably the better in the 2nd half at Hull. A sloppy 25 mins at Wimbledon and Wigan were probably the biggest disappointments so far.

We now need an away win!!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Voice_of_Reason":3fkapchh said:
The more i see of Jephcott the more i see him in the same vain as Joe Mason.

Apart from the ability to find space and being calm their doesn't appear the physical attributes to play the game at this level, not quick, not big, not overly strong - but he has a knack/footballing brain to make the very best of what he does have. That you feel can only improve with more games at this level.

I don't disagree, however, you can improve your physical attributes. Jon Lucas can see to that. But for a player of his age to have the knack of finding space around the penalty box is something that's hard to teach. It's invaluable. I've seen plenty of strikers over the years who are hard working and physical but couldn't score goals. I'd much rather have it the other way round. Personally, I'm not sure he's fully fit at the moment following his slight injury.

Good performance last night I thought. The first half was almost as dominant as against Wigan, difference here being that Wigan are just a bad football team, Doncaster are a good football team who we made to look poor through excellent pressing. We didn't allow them time on the ball at all and other than one corner where Aimson lost his man, they barely had a sniff for the first half.

Second half, inevitably, they got back into the game. But I thought we displayed more control that in the past two games and it didn't feel like the game was running away from us, other than a 5 minute spell. There goal was clever play by the midfielder, who realised the offside trap wasn't going to work.

I thought we noticeably hoofed the ball into the channel less last night. The balls that did go long went into chest or feet rather than in behind and it made a big difference. I said after Lincoln, we needed to play through the thirds more and stop bypassing midfield. Last night we did that and it's no surprise that Mayor was outstanding (albeit slightly wasteful at times). In terms of dribbling and close control, in my time supporting Argyle I think only Ruben Lameiras comes close to his level. He is incredibly comfortable dribbling out of tight spaces, losing his man and getting up the pitch fast. It's invaluable, certainly was last night and Doncaster couldn't get near to him for 90 minutes.

I'd also like to see us persist with this back three now. They've got gradually better over the three games and familiarity will only benefit them and Cooper. Whilst Canavan is my favoured CB, I think the weak link at the moment is Aimson and only Wootton can really slot in at RCB. Watts and Opoku are left sided.

Ratings:

Cooper - 7 - One shaky moment where he punched Aimson. A communication error. Made up for it with an excellent punch to clear the corner that followed.
Moore - 7 - His best game of the season. Much more like the player we saw last year.
Aimson - 7 - I remain unconvinced, but he was better last night.
Opoku - 7 - His best game so far. As predicted, getting better with more minutes. Definitely looks more comfortable at CB, rather than LWB.
Watts - 8 - We've got a player on our hands here. Really beginning to flourish. Him driving forward at LCB adds a dimension to the attack.
Fornah - 7 - Solid performance. Although he seems to have spells where he becomes a bit immobile.
Camara - 8 - Bloody love this guy. Saw on twitter last night he covered 12.5km in the game. Outstanding.
Mayor - 8.5 - Arguably his best performance in a green shirt. Unplayable for most of the evening.
Hardie - 6 - Not his best game, but worked hard and evidence is there that he's getting sharper.
Jephcott - 7 - Not his best game either, but always dangerous around the box and got his goal.

Nouble - 7 - Held the ball up really well when he came on. Think I prefer him off the bench for now.
Abraham - N/A - Wasn't on long enough. A willing runner, though.

This was a good display against a playoff quality side. However we know we can match anyone at home. We need to figure out how to start getting points on the road. After a few long trips of late, the Accrington postponement is welcome to be honest.

Aug 24, 2008
For physical attributes just look at Barnes if Burnley. Left Argyle a boy now a beast and handful of a man.

Oct 5, 2013
Great summary by Nobby, really enjoyed reading it and think your take on last night is very good.