✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Mental or tactical?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I dont think it's mental.

Its not like 2015/16. Then, we'd go ahead, soil ourselves, drop deep and not press the ball at all. Even when we go ahead in games under Lowe, I think our shape is OK.

However, I wonder if it's a fitness thing. I dont mean this in a "we need to much fitter" type thing, but this system requires us to be so fluid in possession and energetic off it. When we're on it, as we were in the first 35 tonight, we're brilliant. But it does require a lot of energy.

In our bad spells, we just seem to go quite static off the ball and struggle to retain it for any length of time. Its a circumstance of our style playing out from the back. We need to persist with the style in general, its the best fit for this squad, but maybe acknowledge when the passing game stops working as well, sacrifice a CM, go to 3-4-3 and play it longer into the channels more. It will stop us from coming under so much pressure in 2nd halves.

Jun 23, 2008
It was more a case of when we were the better team, most of the 1st half, we didn't have a goal scorer. Nouble had 2 good chances and a proper centre forward would scored at least one of them. A point was acceptable but the soft penalty was the turning point and then we went to sleep but showed good character to get back in the game.

Aug 5, 2016
The tactics visibly changed. Lost passing composure and hit long hopeless balls for half an hour.

How do we go from looking like one of the best passing sides in the division to not wanting the ball in one 15 minute break?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Give Jackett some credit for changing things at half-time, they were always going to push forward more in the second half and Harrison is a good player to bring off the bench.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I think the physical and mental intensity of the first half performance by Argyle in this and other games is impressive, but hard to sustain over 90 minutes, although in the last couple of games they have tended to come back into games late on.

Mar 14, 2009
From my perspective teams are cautious in the first half.

Then, just like with Portsmouth, if teams are behind the opposition become braver. I think this is what we are seeing. Teams pressing higher and maybe putting on extra forward thinking player.

I think unfortunately when we have time and space we execute our football. When we are pressed we are more hurried and we become sloppy.

I also wonder if by rarely changing your formation in game that your giving a tactical advantage to the opposition. OK, lm sure it gets tweaked sometimes but for example Argyle won’t ever surprise an opposition team/manager because they know what set up to expect at the start of a game.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I didn't feel like it was a game of two HALVES on this occasion.

We do have periods though where we get a little loose and where teams capitalise on us at this level.

As someone said earlier, credit to Jackett for his substitutions at half time.

On another day, Nouble and Hardie would have buried thier chances but it was not to be tonight.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
When we have a good first half and are ahead at half time, the opposition is forced to change it about a bit. We don’t change, it would be madness to change anything when we’ve been doing so well. We then seem to take about 20 mins to get to grips with the changes made by the opposition and then get back into it again.

We must find a way to adapt quicker.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
GreenThing":35bmbzzx said:

Or perhaps another approach would be to capitalise better on the good spells so that we don’t have to adapt. Really, in all the games we’ve not won this season we’ve had good chances to score but not taken enough of them or had plenty of attacking possession without quite opening the opposition up. We’re getting ahead in games but leaving the door ajar for the other team to come back into things.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
The first and second half league tables in today's Argyle Daily News is quite remarkable really. I know we've generally appeared to be better in first halves but to go from top to 18th really shows what a stark contrast it is.

Personally, as mentioned above, my money's on it being a fitness thing in as much as we don't pace ourselves. We give it 100% from the start and inevitably run out of steam second half, resulting in less pressing/passing and longer balls, plus loss of concentration.
Our opponents pace themselves throughout the whole game, so we do better than them first half but worse second.
It's a bit simplistic but I can't see what else it can be as we're so consistently on a different level first half to second. It's something we need to address, somehow!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
This season in League One ..
Screenshot-20201117-001431-Samsung-Internet.jpg
[/url]

Last season in League Two ...

Sep 6, 2006
Harry57":1e3008e7 said:
It was more a case of when we were the better team, most of the 1st half, we didn't have a goal scorer. Nouble had 2 good chances and a proper centre forward would scored at least one of them. A point was acceptable but the soft penalty was the turning point and then we went to sleep but showed good character to get back in the game.

Bit harsh on Nouble when you have not mentioned the better chances for Hardie.

Oct 5, 2013
The Doctor":uywshk7y said:
GreenThing":uywshk7y said:

Or perhaps another approach would be to capitalise better on the good spells so that we don’t have to adapt. Really, in all the games we’ve not won this season we’ve had good chances to score but not taken enough of them or had plenty of attacking possession without quite opening the opposition up. We’re getting ahead in games but leaving the door ajar for the other team to come back into things.

Think you’re spot on here, a characteristic of our play this season is that we dominate the first half but don’t get out of sight, too many missed chances (apart from Jephcott who has been superb), and this allows other teams a way back in.
It’s something RL keeps on mentioning, and so he knows where the problem lies.
Missing chances and not scoring when completely dominating is deflating for a team, and coupled with tactical changes by the opposition at half time accounts for our poorer second half performances.
In fact given the chances we’ve been missing, we’re doing well to get as much out of games as we are, so the team deserve credit for that.