PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A very enjoyable game.

2-2 was probably fair although we had the better chances.

What did we learn?
Once again we have a good first half and struggled in the second half but we did fight back to earn a draw.
Poor defending cost us the second goal, George Cooper should have made more if an effort to block the shot but there were several mistakes before that.
Cooper's delivery from crosses was poor, if he's not delivering as an attacker he then becomes a liability.

Hardie struggled without Jephcott, we now know it has to be those two upfront and not Hardie with another. Hardie had two good chances, on one he should have taken a shot instead of trying to round the keeper and had a second shot well blocked.

Camara was quiet, we missed his tenacity.

The penalty looked harsh but these days they are given.

On the plus side Watts had another good game, Telford had his best cameo in a Green shirt and turned the game late for us.

Michael Cooper made one superb save, Nouble was a threat up front - his hold up play and running the channels made a difference.

Overall, the good form continues and on the big stage we gave a good account of ourselves despite the early Sky Portsmouth bias.
We were purring during the first half, the movement and passing was first class. For the second half we hit more long balls through the centre rather than in the channels.

Lowe just needs to analyse why we struggle during the early stages of most second halves. Is it a fitness issue? Or is it just that the opposition managers work us out, although you'd expect any scouting system to forewarn the opposition teams.

It looked a squad decision to all have short back and sides haircuts. :)

Man of the match - Nouble.

M Cooper 7, Aimson 6, Okopu 7, Watts 7, Fornah 5, Edwards 6, Camara 6, Mayor 7, G Cooper 5, Hardie 5, Nouble 7. Subs - Grant 6, Telford 7, Reeves 6.

Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
Did anyone else think the pitch looked poorly lit on tv or is it just my telly ? It never looked that dark in the good old days when we actually went to the game.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Ipplepen green":1p15ibug said:
Did anyone else think the pitch looked poorly lit on tv or is it just my telly ? It never looked that dark in the good old days when we actually went to the game.
That's because we have lights on one side of the ground that are intended for night working on the M6, not a modern-day football stadium.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
great match to watch and yet again hugely frustrating not being allowed to be there.i thought the draw was the correct result.I feel we missed the threat and pace of Byron.my ratings;
M Cooper 7, Aimson 8, Okopu 7, Watts 9, Fornah 5, Edwards 8, Camara 4, Mayor 5, G Cooper 5, Hardie 6, Nouble 8. Subs - Grant 6, Telford 6, Reeves N/a

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ipplepen green":gpyq51g6 said:

Yes, the area of the pitch in front of the dug-outs is always poorly lit, I thought Sky would have provided extra lights so it must be good enough for live TV games.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
That block by Pring was the turning point of the game.
Poor defensively by Fornah and Cooper before their second.
Once again Mayor disappeared for most of second half which is so frustrating when he played so well in first 45.
Once again Telford added nothing after coming on .
Watts was MoTM for me.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Decent should have been 2-0 up big miss by Hardie or block by the defender? Depends on your viewpoint. Coops did not suggest he should start ahead of Byron. We are every bit as good as Portsmouth. I am very impressed with Opoku and Watts. We are improving and I don’t see us finishing below where we are now. I haven’t missed a game this season and I think we are getting better as time goes by. That’s my takeaway.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Well I couldn't resist the match pass.
I wish I'd had it on mute mind you...well, particularly when that Gary O'Neil character was talking.
Argyle clearly were the better side other than for a ten minute spell. The keeper pulls off a good (albeit the shot was a good height for a keeper) save from Nouble, then the defender pulls off a wonder block from Hardie at 1-0...yeah we need to find just an extra little bit of ruthlessness but Jacket was clearly relieved to get out with a point.
They should pin that O'Neil's drivel up in the dressing room... He'd just reviewed footage of the block and said 'that's saved the game for Portsmouth' then he's said they'll be there or there abouts but we won't trouble the play offs. We're two points behind them with a game to make up...we have some tough away games this week, but for him to write us off as also rans after that is frankly stupid.
As an aside, I thought Opoku was excellent up against a 'street wise' character like Marquis who put an elbow on him in the first half and will run into any part of your body not taped to your side to try and get you in the book. Looked like his unwillingness to get drawn into that kind of thing was riling Marquis who wouldn't have got on the scoresheet had it not been for the pen.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
First 35 was outstanding. It's honestly a joy to see us being able to play through a high press so well whilst keeping the thing on the deck. The fluidity with Mayor and Cooper interchanging was superb, our distribution from the back (so important in this system) was excellent, and we fully deserved our lead. Portsmouth tried to mirror our style, but were nowhere near as good at it.

As I said on the other thread though, this system and style, fantastic when it works, is fragile when it doesn't. We need to try and keep up that energy and movement off the ball for 90 minutes, albeit I appreciate that's very tough in normal season, never mind this one with added fixture congestion. Maybe a switch to a more actively direct style when we're struggling to pass well would be a good move - perhaps playing Mayor and Cooper more centrally in behind Nouble, who could do a job as a target man.

We did to get back into the game after our poor 15 minute spell in the 2nd half. Portsmouth maybe just edged the 2nd half but we battered them in the first, so I think we deserved the win. To not do so is a little disappointing, but given their away record it's not the end of the world.

Cooper 7 - distribution, again, so so good. Nothing he could do about either goal, not a lot to do otherwise.

Aimson 7 - excellent defensively but too many aimless long balls for my liking. Get that sorted and he'll be the complete package.

Opoku 7 - one strange moment where he left a dangerous ball across in the first half - it almost looked to me like Marquis might have shouted "leave" and he fell for it (Marquis should have been booked if so). I cant think why else Opoku would have left it. Other than that though, very good.

Watts 8 - would have been a 9 if not for the handball - I can see why the ref gave it, correct application of the rules, but it feels unfortunate. You don't jump with your hands down by your sides. Very good passing into Cooper and Mayor in the first half though.

Fornah 6 - generally ok but terrible miskick leading to their 2nd goal. Decent on the ball but I feel that Grant can offer us more there.

Edwards 7 - good first half, not as good in the 2nd but he did well. Strange decision not to cross the ball with seconds left in the game though, I get and agree with the general philosophy of not crossing too often, but surely in that situation a cross is the best option.

Camara 6 - saw some glimpses of his superb energy and driving forward with the ball, albeit not his best game. He's still an upgrade on Sarcevic though, for sure.

Mayor 8 - that dummy in the 2nd half was "sick". And again, his movement and creativity, even if it doesn't always work, does get us up the pitch and create chances.

Cooper 6 - he wasn't brilliant, but I feel that some on here are being a little harsh on the lad. He's clearly getting there on the wing back role in terms of when to press and when to sit off when out of possession, and when to play it simple in possession. But he did create some openings and interchanged with Mayor well. Superb ball in for the equaliser. Its not like playing Andre Blackman at wing back, it WILL work - he just needs to keep working at it. He'll get there, I think.

Hardie 6 - a little quiet. Some really good touches and it appeared that his movement from what we could see was good again. Not happening in front of goal for him, the block was brilliant but he could maybe have just hit it higher into the vacant roof of the net.

Nouble 8 - a real nuisance. In the FGR game in pre-season I criticised his lack of pushing out wide off the ball and pressing opposition full backs/outside centre backs. Tonight, he did this in spades. Good link up play too. I'd be leaning towards Nouble and Jephcott as the pairing for future matches, with Hardie's pace being a real asset off the bench.

Subs: Telford 7, Grant 6, Reeves n/a.

Aug 4, 2011
bringonthemilkman":3syxvc1r said:
Once again Mayor disappeared for most of second half which is so frustrating when he played so well in first 45.
Once again Telford added nothing after coming on ..
I thought Telford played well when he came on. Won the free kick (along with a few others) for the goal and headed it back from the resulting set piece. Yes Mayor was quieter second half but still a huge threat and great on the ball

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
We need to learn to finish sides off when we are on top as we were first half tonight.

Nouble had good chance at 1-0 as did Hardie early 2nd half.

Couple of tough away trips ahead now so these will be good test of the resilience of our young defenders. Let's hope Byron is fit to return at LWB. George Cooper nowhere near the influence of last season and still vulnerable defensively.

Think Jephcott will start with Nouble against the "cod army".

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
football-bet-data":i9nht6kn said:
bringonthemilkman":i9nht6kn said:
Once again Telford added nothing after coming on ..
I thought Telford played well when he came on. Won the free kick (along with a few others) for the goal and headed it back from the resulting set piece. Yes Mayor was quieter second half but still a huge threat and great on the ball

I agree, I thought Telford was excellent. He held it up well, made intelligent runs and assisted the equaliser. Credit where it's due. When is Hardie's luck in front of goal going to change? 9 times out of 10 that strike would either have missed the defender totally or ricocheted off him into the net. You have to say on tonight's evidence Nouble deserves to start again on Saturday.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's harsh on Frank the Tank but our best partnership is Hardie and Jephcott because they bring out the best in each other. Hardie is lost without Jephcott.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Based on his performance tonight, I agree with the comments about Nouble starting again on Saturday and next Tuesday.

These are 2 very difficult games where we will do well to get anything and I think Nouble will help us to get up the field and relieve the pressure on our defence.

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":3vz6mhv0 said:
Well I couldn't resist the match pass.
I wish I'd had it on mute mind you...well, particularly when that Gary O'Neil character was talking.
Argyle clearly were the better side other than for a ten minute spell. The keeper pulls off a good (albeit the shot was a good height for a keeper) save from Nouble, then the defender pulls off a wonder block from Hardie at 1-0...yeah we need to find just an extra little bit of ruthlessness but Jacket was clearly relieved to get out with a point.
They should pin that O'Neil's drivel up in the dressing room... He'd just reviewed footage of the block and said 'that's saved the game for Portsmouth' then he's said they'll be there or there abouts but we won't trouble the play offs. We're two points behind them with a game to make up...we have some tough away games this week, but for him to write us off as also rans after that is frankly stupid.
As an aside, I thought Opoku was excellent up against a 'street wise' character like Marquis who put an elbow on him in the first half and will run into any part of your body not taped to your side to try and get you in the book. Looked like his unwillingness to get drawn into that kind of thing was riling Marquis who wouldn't have got on the scoresheet had it not been for the pen.

Did you miss the incident where Opoku smashed Marquis across the chops with his fist then? He got a yellow but it could have been a red on another day.