Strikers for Fleetwood | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Strikers for Fleetwood

Oct 5, 2013
As I see it, it has to be Jephcott up front with Nouble, who had his best game for us so far against Portsmouth.
If Jephcott not fit, then Telford looked sharp on Monday, and ought to play alongside Nouble.
Hardie must be concerned about his own form this season, everything about his game seems less accomplished.
It appears that Abraham hasnā€™t done enough as yet to make himself get picked.

Aug 5, 2016
Seems harsh on Hardie. It was his runs that stretched the Pompey backline. He rounded their keeper before having to wait an age for anyone else (except Pompey defenders) to get in the box and support him. He should have got on the scoresheet except for a literally unbelievable block by Pring. I had to watch replays as to how Hardie beat the keeper but it didn't go in.

I don't think he played badly last night. The Pompey defenders can hardly say they had him in their pocket. He is doing the right things and he is a big outlet for the team, as Jephcott and Nouble won't catch those balls down the channel we resort to. The goals will eventually come back.

Oct 5, 2013
Knibbsworth":1ehh827l said:
Seems harsh on Hardie. It was his runs that stretched the Pompey backline. He rounded their keeper before having to wait an age for anyone else (except Pompey defenders) to get in the box and support him. He should have got on the scoresheet except for a literally unbelievable block by Pring. I had to watch replays as to how Hardie beat the keeper but it didn't go in.

I don't think he played badly last night. The Pompey defenders can hardly say they had him in their pocket. He is doing the right things and he is a big outlet for the team, as Jephcott and Nouble won't catch those balls down the channel we resort to. The goals will eventually come back.

Yes you could be right.
I really think it was a bad miss by Hardie and a pivotal one in the course of the match, would have made it 2-0. Three yards out, no-one tight on him, anything above ground-level goes in, has to be a goal. I think RL thinks so too from his post-match comments.
But not just that, his close control seems poor with the ball often pinging off him rather than sticking, his off-the-ball runs are good but not leading to anything because of this, he doesnā€™t seem willing to use his left foot, and heā€™s had none of his long runs in on goal that we saw last season (probably because heā€™s up against better defending).
As someone said elsewhere, to me Hardie does seem lost without Jephcott.
Will therefore be interesting to see if RL pairs Jephcott with Hardie or with Nouble, because Hardie does seem to play much better alongside Jephcott, which shows Lukeā€™s ability to make it easier for others to play.

Oct 14, 2015
Reading between the lines in regards to what RL has said about the match and in particular Hardie I get the impression heā€™s pretty angry with him and I canā€™t see him starting on Saturday.

Returnofthepob

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
philevs":qztqgmay said:
I really think it was a bad miss by Hardie and a pivotal one in the course of the match, would have made it 2-0. Three yards out, no-one tight on him, anything above ground-level goes in, has to be a goal. I think RL thinks so too from his post-match comments.

Iā€™m not sure that RL was sure about his comment after the match. He said something like ā€œwas it good block or not a great finish you decide.ā€ I think he was frustrated that we didnā€™t get the win. He wouldnā€™t have had a chance to watch it back.

You are correct though in the air and it goes in. But when you watch the replay RH had little time to react and did the right thing in hitting it as hard as he could. The defender just made a wonder block. 9 times in 10 itā€™s a goal.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knibbsworth":bwqizg85 said:

You are right. His pace, with long strides, is deceptively quick, even in League 1.
When his luck changes, he will score a hat trick.

Feb 23, 2006
Its not going to be an easy choice for RL as he appears to have multiple options with strikers.One of them is going to have to be an impact striker coming on as required tactics injuries bullying defenders Nouble probably played one of his best games for Argyle last night how do you leave him out. Hardie was unlucky last night not to score,hes an intelligent footballer with pace but feel hes better with an instinctive target man like Jephcott alongside him. RL has to find the right combination every game not easy obviously it can depend on the opposition and their set up.

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
I think there will be a few changes at the weekend.

Firstly i hope Moore is back, we miss his 90 minutes of energy.
Secondly Conor Grant really impressed last night, whilst i admire the energy of the midfield three last night, at times we lacked composure and that's Grant key asset, he's never hurried or flustered and used the ball well.
Lastly the strikers, its a tough one Nouble was clearly one of our best players last night, but i dont think he is an automatic starter Saturday, Jephcott and Hardie are showing signs of building up a good understanding, that can often outweigh any individual play. It would be incredibly harsh on Big Frank, but i certainly think its a possibility.

Oct 5, 2013
Returnofthepob":p7q5kmlz said:
philevs":p7q5kmlz said:

Iā€™m not sure that RL was sure about his comment after the match. He said something like ā€œwas it good block or not a great finish you decide.ā€ I think he was frustrated that we didnā€™t get the win. He wouldnā€™t have had a chance to watch it back.

You are correct though in the air and it goes in. But when you watch the replay RH had little time to react and did the right thing in hitting it as hard as he could. The defender just made a wonder block. 9 times in 10 itā€™s a goal.

I think that it was a straightforward chance because there was no-one right up tight on him, he just needed to lift it slightly over them both, and itā€™s one that a goal poacher would have taken. Hardie is not that type of striker though, however Jephcott is which is why heā€™ll always get picked if fit.

Jul 12, 2016
Jephcott and Hardie have to be the first choice pairing up front.
IMO they are more likely to score on a regular basis than Nouble. However we will be fortunate to get anything from the next two games so maybe Nouble will retain his place?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
It has to be Hardie and Jephcott because they bring out the best in each other, Jephcott is a poacher (we would have won against Pompey if he had played) and comes short to feet, Hardie runs the channels and stretches opposition defences.

However, Jephcott is playing tonight in Germany and will not arrive home until Wednesday which will be a day off and then on the bus on Friday for the long trip to Fleetwood, so with preparations for the Fleetwood game already started I think Jephcott will be on the bench on Saturday.

After Fleetwood it should be Hardie/Jephcott.

As a side issue Telford played his best cameo in a Green shirt against Pompey so will give Lowe another option.

Oct 5, 2013
oldage":331r44b2 said:
Jephcott and Hardie have to be the first choice pairing up front.
IMO they are more likely to score on a regular basis than Nouble. However we will be fortunate to get anything from the next two games so maybe Nouble will retain his place?

If Nouble doesnā€™t get to start then I hope RL will give him at least 35-40 mins on as sub if weā€™re behind.

Oct 5, 2013
PL2 3DQ":zh9vr692 said:
It has to be Hardie and Jephcott because they bring out the best in each other, Jephcott is a poacher (we would have won against Pompey if he had played) and comes short to feet, Hardie runs the channels and stretches opposition defences.

However, Jephcott is playing tonight in Germany and will not arrive home until Thursday which will be a day off and then on the bus on Friday for the long trip to Fleetwood, so with preparations for the Fleetwood game already started I think Jephcott will be on the bench on Saturday.

After Fleetwood it should be Hardie/Jephcott.

As a side issue Telford played his best cameo in a Green shirt against Pompey so will give Lowe another option.

I would think Jephcott will arrive home Wednesday, and if so, then in for training on Thursday and off to Fleetwood on Friday. A lot of players will be wanted back asap by their clubs.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Jephcott and Hardie always. Most likely to score, best chemistry, best balance of qualities.

Hardie has not been among the goals this year but has been very selfless and hard working. It will come. He was only denied last night by a quite incredible block by Cameron Pring and Lowe is being harsh if he genuinely thinks Hardie should have done better.

Nouble had an excellent game yesterday running the channels, but I donā€™t think he carries enough of a goal threat and doesnā€™t get in the right areas in the box.

Telford is a cameo player. Abraham, a bit of a mystery and will have to be patient for his chances.

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
philevs":anxa3sm4 said:
Knibbsworth":anxa3sm4 said:

Yes you could be right.
Hardie beat the keeper and it was heading for goal until Pring made an amazing block. If that block had been done by an Argyle player we'd have been waxing lyrical about it. So let's give Pring some praise rather than knock Hardie. I'd bet Ryan Lowe hadn't seen a replay when he made his comment last night.