Anoraks 59 - Now that's what I call Argyle trivia! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Anoraks 59 - Now that's what I call Argyle trivia!

Jan 11, 2016
The 'Seasiders' lead the way on 4. There are several teams on 3 including the 'Riversiders' who did it in just 4 seasons. Whatever had been the outcome of last night's game it would have made no difference to Pompey's tally which is matched by that of Man Utd. My only such away experience involved defeat for Argyle at a club which sadly no longer exists.

Over to you!

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
The Seasiders are Blackpool. The Riversiders are Blackburn Rovers and the team that no longer exists I presume is Bury or may be Macclesfield. Man Untd are mentioned which are all teams in the North West. However Portsmouth is then thrown into the equation and I am floundering to think what this can be. In the absence of other posts I suspect that I am not alone.
I think we are going to need a clue or two here.

Jan 11, 2016
Apologies for the delay in responding!

The Seasiders are not Blackpool in this instance but they definitely do play at the seaside!
The Riversiders are not Blackburn or Middlesbrough but they definitely do play beside a river!
The Portsmouth reference was to establish that this is nothing to do with results or goals.
Bury are indeed that team that no longer exists.

Here's a sequence of players that should point towards the answer

Gregg Wylde - Ryan Edwards - Callum McFadzean - Luke Jephcott

Remember we're talking Argyle trivia here!

Aug 8, 2013
Hmm... I think the players named may have scored our first goal of the season in recent years.

So.... teams we've scored our first of the season against over the years ?

The 'Riversiders' might be Wimbledon; I think Kingsmeadow is near a river.

No idea about the "Seasiders' though.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Sainghin Green":3uit5pu3 said:
Apologies for the delay in responding!

The Seasiders are not Blackpool in this instance but they definitely do play at the seaside!
The Riversiders are not Blackburn or Middlesbrough but they definitely do play beside a river!
The Portsmouth reference was to establish that this is nothing to do with results or goals.
Bury are indeed that team that no longer exists.

Here's a sequence of players that should point towards the answer

Gregg Wylde - Ryan Edwards - Callum McFadzean - Luke Jephcott

Remember we're talking Argyle trivia here!

The Argyle scorers were all the first Argyle goal scorer in each of the last four seasons.
I assume the other part of the question is the number of times we've played the team in the opening game of the season.

Mar 18, 2014
first home league goal???

seasiders Grimsby or Southend
riversiders Reading or Brentford
Manchester United and Portsmouth 2 each

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
Many teams are situated next to a river, if it is due to proximity to a river then it could be Fulham or Nottingham Forest who are almost in the Thames and the Trent.
As for sea well there is always Swansea.
It is true that Blackpool are the Tangerines and I know they have been ruled out. But (trivia here) their fans love singing 'sea- sea- seasiders'

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Dreamgreen":xc1qrfcj said:
Shrewsbury was definitely by the river

The Riversiders was the nickname name of supporters who stood on the terrace at Gay Meadow that ran alongside the River Severn. There was also the guy in the coracle who was employed to collect the ball when it flew out of the ground and into the river.

On the first game theme we did play Shrewsbury (albeit not at Gay Meadow) in August 2011 when Carl Fletcher famously equalised late on.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Graham
I remember the day well....IJN...bought us all fish and chips....