Lowe and Mayor | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Lowe and Mayor

Matts 19

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 19, 2019
Bury fan here who was welcomed down to the Argyle v Oldham game in Sept 19 (2-2)

At the time a lot of scepticism around Lowe and especially Danny Mayor. I believe Lowe made some comments saying Mayor was better than Graham Carey and from what i was reading on this site a lot of Argyle fans completely disagreed with that opinion. I remember reading some comments saying Danny was not very good at all. The jury was still out on Lowe also

Being a Bury fan my opinion will obviously be very bias towards the pair of them

The question is what is the general opinion from the Argyle faithful. 14 month later and is Lowe the young, breath of fresh air attacking manager he was made out to be. Is Mayor as good and creative as you was led to believe?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge wrote: Lowe has definitely been a breath of fresh air and the attacking football we're playing is, in my opinion, the best we've played since the Holloway era in the Championship. He's still very young as well and will be learning on the job, which makes me think he'll definitely manage at a high level. His backroom staff who also came from Bury are also clearly a big part of what we're doing, along with Nance and the addition of Neil Dewsnip. On & off the pitch, for the first time in a very, very long time, the club feels as if it has real direction & real leadership.

Danny is a very talented player, though I think with Danny, people were perhaps led to believe he'd be very similar to Carey, AKA be directly scoring goals constantly, when in actual fact he's used more to assist the assister and be the man who carries us forward, which he's exceptional at doing.

Returnofthepob

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
Cobi Budge":1pdrkl06 said:
Lowe has definitely been a breath of fresh air and the attacking football we're playing is, in my opinion, the best we've played since the Holloway era in the Championship. He's still very young as well and will be learning on the job, which makes me think he'll definitely manage at a high level. His backroom staff who also came from Bury are also clearly a big part of what we're doing, along with Nance and the addition of Neil Dewsnip. On & off the pitch, for the first time in a very, very long time, the club feels as if it has real direction & real leadership.

Danny is a very talented player, though I think with Danny, people were perhaps led to believe he'd be very similar to Carey, AKA be directly scoring goals constantly, when in actual fact he's used more to assist the assister and be the man who carries us forward, which he's exceptional at doing.

I’d agree with that. Both top drawer.
What’s the latest with Bury AFC / Bury FC

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
Welcome back to the forum and can I first say I am still massively in hope that Bury make a resurgence. As a small aside I just pulled Bury in my FM19 save as a home FA cup side and it genuinely made me feel such remorse for you all....

Ref the main topic, I still think it was a very unfair comparison to make between Carey and Mayor. Carey was our talisman for a good few years and really had a lot of end product, pulling up trees to get single handed results.

Having watched mayor for some time now, he is a massively talented player in my opinion. His ability on the ball is second to none (better than Carey again in my opinion) but his real value is taking the team up the field and creating space and opportunities for his team mates. Where he gets critique is that his actual goals and assists ratings are fairly low, but his impact on the game is really not represented in those stats.

Ref Lowe, great man manager and loving his reign. The only question in my mind is whether there is tactical flexibility to counter the opponents as we play one formation with some variety in style, but pretty much we play our way.

When all is said and done, I think we are spectacularly lucky to have them both and the current experience of supporting Argyle is very good. And none of us should lose perspective that there are many out there who are in real turmoil where football is concerned, and i am sure the worst is yet to come for many.

Hope all in Bury have their chins up and you are all welcome at home park any time

:scarf:

Aug 5, 2016
Mayor is absolutely brilliant but he is not yet carrying Argyle the way Carey used to.

Mayor has a far better team around him (credit to Lowe) and perhaps doesn't feel the need to try and take over matches and do it all himself.

Carey at his best would combine the assists of Cooper, the deliveries of Cooper, the distance shots of Connor Grant, the dribbles of Mayor and the non stop running of Edwards and Moore. He really was one of a kind and I don't think Lowe realise just what a player we witnessed for 4 seasons before he said that.

Matts 19

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 19, 2019
Returnofthepob":11qu4ttx said:
Cobi Budge":11qu4ttx said:
Lowe has definitely been a breath of fresh air and the attacking football we're playing is, in my opinion, the best we've played since the Holloway era in the Championship. He's still very young as well and will be learning on the job, which makes me think he'll definitely manage at a high level. His backroom staff who also came from Bury are also clearly a big part of what we're doing, along with Nance and the addition of Neil Dewsnip. On & off the pitch, for the first time in a very, very long time, the club feels as if it has real direction & real leadership.

I’d agree with that. Both top drawer.
What’s the latest with Bury AFC / Bury FC

Tbh it is all absolute chaos

It is hard to tell what sort of numbers are behind AFC as attendances have been limited to 300 (covid restrictions)and every game so far has sold out. Although they have over 1000 members IMO a lot of Bury fans simply refuse to get on bored as the original Bury FC are still in theory going. The club has not been officially liquidated so hope still remains. Those who have publicly shown allegiance to AFC are being branded as traitors, rats and never real Bury Fc fans in the first place

Strong rumours going around that the madman who owns us (Steve Dale) will sell for £200,000 rather than the initial 1.5 million he was asking for have got many excited that Bury FC will return at Gigg lane sooner rather than later. Sad thing is good men like Mike Curtis (groundsman) are still working full time at the club without pay. 18 month on and he is still mowing the grass dailly, the pitch is in pristine condition and he refuses to believe/accept it is over

The fan base is completely split and tbh the whole situation is a complete and utter clusterf**k. It really is a massive mess

Oct 1, 2013
Lowe's only error with regards to Danny Mayor was to attempt to compare him to Carey and Lamieras in the first place.

Mayor is a different type of player to Carey, which in itself brings a different set of merits.
Mayor is fantastic on the ball, draws opposition out of position and makes space for others.
Carey provided end product and would fashion chances for himself from nothing.
Lamieras was very quick, direct and a great finisher.

All 3 are top players, but are very different types of players... hence the comparison was ill-advised and inacurate at the time.

Jan 27, 2012
Carey is a better player than Mayor.

I'm not suggesting that Mayor is rubbish, but Carey was more versatile and worked harder off the ball. He scored goals and had more direct influence on games. There were times when he carried the whole team.

Lowe should not have made the comment about Mayor being better- it was a daft thing to say on a number of levels. Apart from being disrespectful to Carey (a real fans favourite) it also put Mayor under unnecessary pressure. I like Lowe but he needs to think before opening his gob sometimes.

Matts 19

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 19, 2019
gaspargomez":1irfocrz said:
Carey is a better player than Mayor.

I'm not suggesting that Mayor is rubbish, but Carey was more versatile and worked harder off the ball. He scored goals and had more direct influence on games. There were times when he carried the whole team.

Lowe should not have made the comment about Mayor being better- it was a daft thing to say on a number of levels. Apart from being disrespectful to Carey (a real fans favourite) it also put Mayor under unnecessary pressure. I like Lowe but he needs to think before opening his gob sometimes.

Statiscally for Argyle Carey is on a different level to Mayor, very surprised to see Danny has only scored 2 goals in a Argyle shirt. At Bury he was never known as a goalscorer but always offered a threat when cutting in from the left and set pieces. When he was feeding great goalscorers like Lowe, James Vaughan and Nicky Maynard he was at his best, i remember a couple of years when we did not have a decent number 9 he struggled. Overall he was known as a great dribbler and a skillful, creative attacking midfielder who got bums off their seats. His goalscoring record has never been great

Something i do not think Argyle fans are aware of is that Danny struggles with (or used to) is major anxiety/panic attacks/depression. By all accounts he hated his time at Sheff Wed and Southend simply because he was away from home and could not settle, The move to Argyle come as a big shock to those in the know as it is so far from home and personally i think Lowes comments intended to give him confidence more than throwing shade on the likes of Carey

Delighted Lowe is making a good impression in general

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Its a simple question for me. Would I rather Mayor was lining up for us or against us?
Answer: Quite obviously for us.

Feb 15, 2005
DM is a good skilful player who struggles to score goals, I believe he has had the most shots for us this season. He gets us up the pitch and worthy of his place in this team for sure. As for GC he influenced the games far more but he’s gone but not forgotten. RL is a good young manager that gets his team to play football, let’s hope we can improve our away performances and results.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Both very good players in their own right but two totally different players in totally different teams who do the job they have been tasked.

Mayor's role, first and foremost, is to help us progress up the pitch and retain possession which he does very well. Yes he could add more goals, assists but as mentioned above he generally 'assists the assister'. Also from his time at Bury it looked like he often played in McFadzean who crossed for the goal.

Carey on the other hand was tasked with carrying an altogether lesser team. Dribble, shoot from anywhere, whatever and he did that very very well. He also lost the ball a lot which in the Lowe model would not be as acceptable as the team is working as one to progress up the pitch.

Stats wise, Carey stands head and shoulders over Mayor but in terms of doing what they have been tasked with doing... i would say they are on a par. Depends what your yardstick is for measuring success. I hope Mayor can add some more stats to his profile so when people look back on his time they dont assume is was a failure as he is integral to the way this team plays.

Loved Carey when he was at his peak..unplayable, quick thinking and deadly from set piece or open play. The season we were relegated, I don't think that CG was any where near his top form.

Danny Mayor, different gravy, can draw defenders to him, leaving space for Coops and others to exploit. He looks a pain in the butt to play against as seen in the Swindon game, leaving a defender on his backside. His understanding of the game is awesome and he can pick a pass..it's quite exciting seeing him and Moore/Coops run defences ragged.

I still think there is more to come from DM...having CG and DM in same team (we can dream)..would be great to watch.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
Tin hat on.

For me Danny Mayor is every bit as good as Carey and Lameiras were. But those two delivered some amazing (and important) individual goals which Danny's lacked so far. Therein lies the rub - plenty of Argyle fans only look at goals scored to see a player's value. However his input to the whole game and the system we play is seriously impressive. He draws defenders away for others to make runs and whilst he's not always the immediate assist, a lot of what he does ends up creating a chance somewhere down the line. And it's so exciting seeing players play for your team who can take on and beat men with a bit of trickery. But if he had 15 goals a season to go with that, he most definitely would not be playing for us in League 1.

As for Lowe, in 35 of years of being a fan, he's probably my favourite manager. Sturrock got the results first time round but we were largely ugly to watch and his off field demeanour wasn't as captivating. Lovely guy but the way Lowe interacts with our fans and media together with the football he gets us to play is what sets him apart for me. Not to mention his network of contacts is impressive for a young manager. He's destined for bigger and better - whether the club can move forward at the same pace remains to be seen but I hope we all succed in his vision together.