Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Wednesday 18 November | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Wednesday 18 November

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
Wednesday 18 November

Portsmouth Matchday Moments ..club You Tube.

The away game at Crewe Alexandra on Tuesday 15 December will now kick-off at 7pm.

To help with player injuries and fatigue the EFL have agreed to the use of five substitutions during games starting this Friday. League One and Two clubs can still name seven players as subs while in the Championship it will increase to nine subs on the bench.

Stat attack: Argyle are joint-second in League One for having the most amount of goal attempts at an average of 14.4 per game and the joint-highest for shots on target at an average of 5.3 per game, the same as Portsmouth, who along with Peterborough United are the only two teams to have scored more goals than the Greens.

Wikipedia quiz: Who is this?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The acid question is, 'how do you judge a successful dribble'? Does it mean the dribbler goes on to score himself, or, does he directly provide an assist for someone else to score. If those are the criteria, then Argyle should have scored a lot more goals. I am not trying to be clever over this, but the alternative appears to be that the dribbler is tackled, and loses possession to the opposition. Can that fact be considered a success? The figures become subjective statistics in my book.

Feb 8, 2005
Subjective or not, my interpretation is that a successful dribble ends with a pass to a fellow player, not to an opposition player or a tackle but to one of his own.

It's just a stat.

Jun 27, 2019
The only definition I can find is 'moving past a player while maintaining possession.'

So if you lose the ball as soon as you've beaten a player that still counts as a successful dribble (assuming that definition is correct).

Oct 5, 2013
jimsing":3qq04yql said:
Subjective or not, my interpretation is that a successful dribble ends with a pass to a fellow player, not to an opposition player or a tackle but to one of his own.

It's just a stat.

Yes thatā€™s the definition for the stats. If player loses the ball thatā€™s a dribble but obviously not a successful dribble.

Jun 27, 2019
philevs":1p5ltnf5 said:
jimsing":1p5ltnf5 said:

It's just a stat.

Yes thatā€™s the definition for the stats. If player loses the ball thatā€™s a dribble but obviously not a successful dribble.

Obviously that can't be the definition. If he bangs one into the top corner having beaten three men are you saying that doesn't count as a successful dribble? Or if he beats a man down the wing and then wins a corner... that's not a successful dribble? Or if a defender carries the ball out of his area, beating an opponent, before playing a ball down-field that gets intercepted... that's not a successful dribble either?

Oct 5, 2013
WoodsyGreen":1aiseyjp said:
philevs":1aiseyjp said:
jimsing":1aiseyjp said:

It's just a stat.

Obviously that can't be the definition. If he bangs one into the top corner having beaten three men are you saying that doesn't count as a successful dribble? Or if he beats a man down the wing and then wins a corner... that's not a successful dribble? Or if a defender carries the ball out of his area, beating an opponent, before playing a ball down-field that gets intercepted... that's not a successful dribble either?

Suggest you define it for us, then!

Jun 27, 2019
philevs":2emng122 said:
WoodsyGreen":2emng122 said:
philevs":2emng122 said:
jimsing":2emng122 said:

It's just a stat.

Suggest you define it for us, then!

Think I kind of already have. Beat a man with the ball at your feet - that's a successful dribble.

Jul 14, 2008
A two second google search would give you the Opta definition of a successful dribble.

Dribbles/Take-ons
A successful dribble means the player beats the defender while retaining possession, unsuccessful ones are where the dribbler is tackled.