♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
From this Friday, EFL clubs can use 5 substitutes for rest of 2020-21 season

And can have 7 subs on the bench.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54989289

Championship clubs will be able to name up to nine substitutes in matchday squads

League One and League Two clubs can name seven substitutes.

Aug 4, 2011
Will lead to time wasting, drawn out ends to games. Yes the ref is “supposed” to add on 30 seconds per sub. But if a team makes 3, 4 or 5 separate subs in the last 10 mins it will kill any momentum. Right up Wycombe’s street this. Bad move

Sep 6, 2006
Ridiculous. At the very least a caveat should have been put in that subs not be made in injury time. Not necessary and just a time wasting tactic.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
I believe the rule is that teams can make 5 subs but can only have 3 opportunities to do so.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
ping_g5":3jr7ckuw said:
I believe the rule is that teams can make 5 subs but can only have 3 opportunities to do so.

I was going to post this, but then decided that I’d either dreamed it or made it up. I’m glad someone else has heard about it.

Oct 1, 2013
Yeah, i believed it was 5 on 3 occasions.
Would still take longer as they additional 2 subs will still trudge off individually ... usually at a snails pace if they are winning.

The argument for 5 was due to the high turnover in games and less recovery time for the squad.
I tend to be a bit old school and think "they are supposed to be athletes... surely they can handle 2 games in 7 days"..... but i am starting to understand the fatigue that players will accumulate over a season as its not just game time, but training too.
Bodies so highly strung in high pressure, high stakes games are more likely to break.... so why not allow this for the good of the game?

Ultimately the time wasted is on the ref to sort out.... make them go off at the side and produce yellow cards for time wasting etc. They can help themselves.... whether they will is another question!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":201qqp5p said:
Ridiculous. At the very least a caveat should have been put in that subs not be made in injury time. Not necessary and just a time wasting tactic.

That's all very well when there are 5 mins to add on but what about like at Torquay in the Cup when 22 minutes had to be added? How about if some of the stoppage time is due to a floodlight failure?

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":jzimppyo said:
Balham_Green":jzimppyo said:

That's all very well when there are 5 mins to add on but what about like at Torquay in the Cup when 22 minutes had to be added? How about if some of the stoppage time is due to a floodlight failure?

Ys because that happens so often doesn't it?

Aug 4, 2011
Another issue for me is why has this been introduced mid way through a season? If it was the rule from the beginning it would be a bit more palatable.

As mentioned, making 2 subs at a time won’t matter. One sub will conveniently not have his laces tied, shin pads in etc. Clubs will exploit this as an opportunity to time waste and slow down play.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
I am behind this as long as it's short term. This season the games are coming thicker and faster than usual, so it makes sense to protect the players. There are still only three opportunities to make subs, so the time wasting opportunities aren't any larger than normal, and the refs should crack down on it anyway.

Hopefully we go back to three subs once things are back to normal.

Sep 25, 2010
I understand why, because of the pressure of fitness on the players, due to games being played very close to each other.

But I don’t like it, as towards the end of the match, it looks like a friendly, where it could be 10 subs.