Official website
Fans forum 1
Fans forum 2
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Posh

Kick-off is at 7pm

Sunday

Tom Nield is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 35 yellow cards and no reds in 11 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in February last season when the Greens beat Crewe Alexandra 2-1 at Home Park.
He will be assisted on Tuesday by Geoffrey Russell and Martyn Holmes while the fourth official is Declan Ford.
Nield is a senior nurse in the NHS and earlier this year spoke about his job battling Covid-19 on the frontline .... Sky Sports.

Argyle have played at Peterborough 16 times, winning four games, drawing three and losing nine. The last visit to London Road in February 2019 finished with a 1-0 win to the Pilgrims with Ruben Lameiras scoring the goal.

The Posh have lost just twice in the last 13 games in all competitions and have lost once at home in the league this season, the 2-1 defeat to Blackpool on Saturday.

Peterborough co-owner Darragh MacAnthony says his club has only made £30,000 from 12 matches broadcast on iFollow and would happily dump the streaming service .... Peterborough Today.

Monday

According to Sky Bet Peterborough are the clear favourites to win the game at 3/4, an Argyle win has odds of 3/1 and the draw is on offer at 11/4.

Purchase a iFollow match pass ... here.

After two successive defeats Posh co-owner Darragh MacAnthony looks ahead to the game against Argyle .... Instagram video.

Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson looks ahead to the game .... Posh club video.

Peterborough v Argyle Frequently Asked Questions . ....club website.

Tuesday

Match preview ... Posh club website.

Posh manager Darren Ferguson looks ahead to the game ... Peterborough Today.
“They’d had a good start to the season. But they’ve been much better at home than away.
“Obviously the result didn’t go their way on Saturday, but they have good players like Coops and Danny Mayor. I’ve managed Conor Grant and he’s also a strong performer.
“They like to play through the thirds and they usually play with wing-backs, a system they play very well. I suppose they could change tonight after their result on Saturday, but as usual it’s all about getting our level of performance back up.”
The match programme is available .... here.

Match preview .... club website.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Site Manager":1zsnq5hl said:
Peterborough United
Official website
Fans forum 1
Fans forum 2
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Posh

Kick-off is at 7pm

Sunday

Tom Nield is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 35 yellow cards and no reds in 11 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in February last season when the Greens beat Crewe Alexandra 2-1 win at Home Park.
He will be assisted on Tuesday by Geoffrey Russell and Martyn Holmes while the fourth official is Declan Ford.
Nield is a senior nurse in the NHS and earlier this year spoke about his job battling Covid-19 on the frontline .... Sky Sports.

Argyle have played at Peterborough 16 times, winning four games, drawing three and losing nine. The last visit to London Road in February 2019 finished with a 1-0 win to the Pilgrims with Ruben Lameiras scoring the goal.

The Posh have lost just twice in the last 13 games in all competitions and have lost once at home in the league this season, the 2-1 defeat to Blackpool on Saturday.

Peterborough co-owner Darragh MacAnthony says his club has only made £30,000 from 12 matches broadcast on iFollow and would happily dump the streaming service .... Peterborough Today.

Monday

According to Sky Bet Peterborough are the clear favourites to win the game at 3/4, an Argyle win has odds of 3/1 and the draw is on offer at 11/4.

Once again.... why is this so important? It's like blaming the police for a rise in drink driving prosecutions.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":1oe7al4c said:
Site Manager":1oe7al4c said:
Peterborough United
Official website
Fans forum 1
Fans forum 2
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Posh

Kick-off is at 7pm

Sunday

Tom Nield is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 35 yellow cards and no reds in 11 games. He was last in charge of an Argyle game in February last season when the Greens beat Crewe Alexandra 2-1 win at Home Park.

Monday

Once again.... why is this so important? It's like blaming the police for a rise in drink driving prosecutions.

Probably because it is the only statistic relevant to a referee, and in no way comes across as accusatory.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":1mm9tdzn said:
Site Manager":1mm9tdzn said:
Peterborough United
Official website
Fans forum 1
Fans forum 2
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Posh

Kick-off is at 7pm

Sunday

Monday

Are you suggesting that when the ONS publish crime statistics they are blaming the police for the crime?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PlymOdi":27powe4i said:
Lundan Cabbie":27powe4i said:
Site Manager":27powe4i said:
Peterborough United
Official website
Fans forum 1
Fans forum 2
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Posh

Kick-off is at 7pm

Sunday

Monday

Are you suggesting that when the ONS publish crime statistics they are blaming the police for the crime?

Quite the opposite. I'm suggesting that the issuing of cards is because players have committed offences and not down to referees.

Lundan Cabbie":2huirbf7 said:
PlymOdi":2huirbf7 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2huirbf7 said:
Site Manager":2huirbf7 said:
Peterborough United
Official website
Fans forum 1
Fans forum 2
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Posh

Kick-off is at 7pm

Sunday

Monday

Quite the opposite. I'm suggesting that the issuing of cards is because players have committed offences and not down to referees.

Are you suggesting then LC that all referees are absolutely consistent?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Of course not but then how many cards they have had to issue does not reflect on their consistency unless you at least break them down into warranted and unwarranted.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
If I was the manager of a football team at our level (or any professional level), I would want to know who the ref was, and I would also want to know if he a fussy, blow the whistle at any opportunity, or whether he is more likely to let the game flow. Just like players, the officials get a reputation of ne sort or another. Therefore the card count would almost certainly be a point of interest.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Dreamgreen":2wfr0nkl said:
If I was the manager of a football team at our level (or any professional level), I would want to know who the ref was, and I would also want to know if he a fussy, blow the whistle at any opportunity, or whether he is more likely to let the game flow. Just like players, the officials get a reputation of ne sort or another. Therefore the card count would almost certainly be a point of interest.
Agreed - its not a stone-wall indicator, but much like how we all say things even out over a season in football, its probable that refs will get some games that are more violent, then others which are practically friendly. Therefore, the cards stats can be a good indicator of how "card-happy" he is, whilst not being completely definitive.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
In my line of work (education) it is certainly the case that some people are regarded as hard markers and some are a bit softer. No-one says that the hard markers give lower marks because the students' work are not very clever or that the softer markers somehow manage to have much better performing students in their classes... actually that's not true, the hard markers and the soft markers will sometimes try to justify their grading on that basis, but everyone else just knows that really they are just judging work harshly or being too generous so that they don't have to change their behaviour. There are systems in place to try to moderate standards and produce more uniform evaluations.

It must be the same in refereeing. If, over a largish number of games, a referee has given significantly more or less cards than the norm then that referee must be either card-happy or letting too much go. I can't see how it is possible to argue otherwise unless the stats are produced after only a small number of games when random sampling issues will come into play.

I think that the card statistics are interesting and potentially useful.

[I'm generally seen as a hard marker by the way, but I don't feel the need to justify this - I just retain the standards where they should be... ;) ]

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
The less cards a ref issues generally means he or she has more control of the game, I constantly hear "well it was an easy game to ref" without any credit given to the official. there are some aspects they can't control of course but players respect a ref who appears fair and human.

The overall card tally is, therefore, relevant.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The Doctor":14f5s8km said:
In my line of work (education) it is certainly the case that some people are regarded as hard markers and some are a bit softer. No-one says that the hard markers give lower marks because the students' work are not very clever or that the softer markers somehow manage to have much better performing students in their classes... actually that's not true, the hard markers and the soft markers will sometimes try to justify their grading on that basis, but everyone else just knows that really they are just judging work harshly or being too generous so that they don't have to change their behaviour. There are systems in place to try to moderate standards and produce more uniform evaluations.

It must be the same in refereeing. If, over a largish number of games, a referee has given significantly more or less cards than the norm then that referee must be either card-happy or letting too much go. I can't see how it is possible to argue otherwise unless the stats are produced after only a small number of games when random sampling issues will come into play.

I think that the card statistics are interesting and potentially useful.

[I'm generally seen as a hard marker by the way, but I don't feel the need to justify this - I just retain the standards where they should be... ;) ]

A referees work is there for all to see. Just saying that he has issued X amount of cards is being lazy. At the very least tell the readers how many were stone-wall cards and how many were possibly dodgy.

If there are eight bookable offences in a match then eight yellow cards should be shown. That's not him being card happy. The interesting stat would surely be the number of these cards that maybe shouldn't have been given. (It's probably not many though).

Aug 5, 2016
Lundan Cabbie":16c2cr83 said:
PlymOdi":16c2cr83 said:
Lundan Cabbie":16c2cr83 said:
Site Manager":16c2cr83 said:
Peterborough United
Official website
Fans forum 1
Fans forum 2
Twitter
Latest news

The Countdown to Posh

Kick-off is at 7pm

Sunday

Monday

Referees are human beings and not robots.

Some issue yellow cards and red cards in instances where others wouldn't.

Over the course of a season, you work out who the card happy referees are.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Do not forget there is a Referee Assessor at each match, who has his/her own marking system. I am sure their reports can influence the future development / promotion of the ref in question. I am sure the appointments committee would not want to see a big variation between the assessors report and the ref's card production level.

“Blaming him” ? The simple figures stats are reported every week whether high, middling or low, without comment.

As to relevance, we’re approaching the cut off for wiping the slate clean in terms of cards. The leniency of the ref in each of our games before then is clearly relevant.