THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

THE best game you've ever seen Argyle play.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
For me, it's easy, the 3-0 away win in our memorable League Cup run in the 70's.

They were top of the top tier, they put a full team out and we crushed them. Their fans couldn't believe it as they had beaten Man Utd 5-0 on the Saturday, and then up we come, 3rd tier and humiliate them in their own back yard.

Walshy outshone Stan Bowles that day. :scarf:

Yours...................? (No fannying around, you can't have two, it has to be THE one :greensmile: )

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Hilsborough 2003.

Magical night - evening game at an iconic ground, amazing turnout from the Green Army and the realisation that yes - we were the real deal and promotion was a formality if we kept our key players fit.

Friio, Trigger, Cocko and the much maligned Steve Adams were all superb that night, the spine of team was set, we looked way too good for League 1. Only a late consolation stopped it from being the complete performance. How it made me smile that when we got back into the car and tuned into the local radio - the first three callers i heard all said the same thing - we played the winners of the league tonight - a truly magical feeling coming away from an Argyle away victory and having complete faith in the manager, the goalkeeper, the defence, the midfield and the forwards. No doubting the formation, the commitment or talent of anyone involved. I dont ever remember that feeling before or since!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It was a close call for me. That's my second favourite. :greensmile:

Jul 24, 2009
Voice_of_Reason":3hsblduw said:
Hilsborough 2003.

Magical night - evening game at an iconic ground, amazing turnout from the Green Army and the realisation that yes - we were the real deal and promotion was a formality if we kept our key players fit.

Friio, Trigger, Cocko and the much maligned Steve Adams were all superb that night, the spine of team was set, we looked way too good for League 1. Only a late consolation stopped it from being the complete performance. How it made me smile that when we got back into the car and tuned into the local radio - the first three callers i heard all said the same thing - we played the winners of the league tonight - a truly magical feeling coming away from an Argyle away victory and having complete faith in the manager, the goalkeeper, the defence, the midfield and the forwards. No doubting the formation, the commitment or talent of anyone involved. I dont ever remember that feeling before or since!
Great shout, what a night that was. We'd just put 5 past Port Vale on their patch the previous Saturday as well if I remember rightly. What a performance and what a season that was.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Yes, Hillsborough for me too. We absolutely mullered them in their own back yard.
The combination of results in that magical spell were something like;

Bristol City (H) W 4-0 (Trophy game)
Tranmere (H) W 6-0
Port Vale (A) W 5-1 (my second favourite- Friio's top corner strike from 30 yards my best goal ever)
Sheff W (A) W 3-1

I have never seen us destroy teams regularly like that, before or since.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
1993 The Hawthorns
2-5

Totally unexpected as had just lost to them up the road. Stevie Castle and Paul Dalton on fire.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Tynan One Nil":3512qwyi said:
1993 The Hawthorns
2-5

Totally unexpected as had just lost to them up the road. Stevie Castle and Paul Dalton on fire.

I ripped up the ticket for that one. :facepalm:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Crikey, I am so used to comparing the worst performances ever seen on PASOTI, :greensmile: , I had to reset for this question.

All of the oustanding performances have already been mentioned, and as Ian´s request was for ONE memory only, I am going for the Hillsborough win as others have said. I don´t think I have been more proud to be an Argyle fan when the final whistle blew as I was that night.

I was on a Corporate in the grandstand, surrounded by home fans, obviously. The first one went in, I couldn´t help myself. I stood up (jumped up actually). The second went in, I did the same and a steward came over and suggested that if I did it again I may be evicted. Before he went more than 5 yards away, the third one went in ! I shouted out in my best Corporal Jones (Dads Army) impersonation ... "I´m not standing up, I´m not standing up".

Great night :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I did the corporate for that one as well Malc. I ended up with a (bleddy hot) Pukka Pie on my head when Friio ghosted in with his header. I must admit as you, it was my proudest night I think.

It would have been my No 1 BUT Wednesday were poor, QPR most definitely weren't, hence it just edging it.

The play-off semi-final win against Colchester in 1996. End to end stuff, Warnock being sent off and jumping into the Mayflower just behind us and a late winner from Paul Williams. Final was always going to be a massive anti-climax after that but at least we won.

M

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Yes, QPR away in that amazing 74/75 League Cup run for me too. By the way, Ian, don't think you mention that it was QPR at their place in the OP.

They had flags flying saying that they were the top London club. What a team they had! But this was the emerging Waiters' promotion team and it matched them in all areas - going "toe to toe" as the present manager is wont to say. Will never forget the "Easy, easy" chant after the third goal went in. QPR fans were very complimentary as we left the ground, though others have a different tale to tell. I'll leave that to Ian.

QPR brought on a young blonde-haired lad called John Delve to try and counter our midfield dominance, and the morning newspapers had him standing in the goal retrieving the ball after the third goal. He saw that there was a team developing here and joined us soon after. A definite bonus after a great evening in West London.

Bil

May 31, 2019
Argyle vs Bristol City 4-0 1986
Ive never been so happy.
But Argyle vs Leeds 6-3 is up there but neither team had a defence :nworthy: