Cleverest goal scored by an argyle player | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Cleverest goal scored by an argyle player

Aug 17, 2005
To start it off I will start with Triggers. He asked the ref if it was okay to take the indirect free kick quickly who agreed. With no supporting argyle players around he kicked it against the opposition goalkeeper so the ball bounced back to him and then proceeded to round the goalkeeper with the resultant goal

Apr 8, 2014
That’s not how I remember it. I thought Trigger put the ball down knocked it towards goal, the keeper instinctively tried to stop it, touching it and it going in.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I recall Trigger saying that his intention was to kick it against the keeper and put in the rebound, just how Signalspast described, but it didn’t go as planned.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Dwight Marshall's run around the other side of the keeper home to Barnsley in the FA Cup. Pele-esque, although unlike Dwight, Pele missed!

Jun 27, 2019
RKB":24gtcdra said:
Dwight Marshall's run around the other side of the keeper home to Barnsley in the FA Cup. Pele-esque, although unlike Dwight, Pele missed!

You took the words right out of my mouth, RKB, though it was actually against Port Vale in a league game. He scored another cracker in that Barnsley FA Cup game you mentioned.

Dwight also scored an overhead kick on his debut that was barely a couple of feet above ground. What a clever player he was.

Regarding the Trigger goal, I remember being unable to celebrate for ages because I was convinced the ref hadn’t allowed it. Great goal.

My other favourite is the last of Sir Tommy’s four goals (help me someone, was it Preston?), where the ball hit their corner flag so squarely that it bounced back into play. We reacted first, crossed and he scored.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
By the dictionary definition of 'clever' it has to be Trigger. :clap:

People like Mariner, Kemp(es) and King Tommy scored 'clever' goals but on their scoring instinct with very little logical thought involved. That's what real goal scorers do. :scarf:

Aug 2, 2011
Knibbsworth":1k889y8v said:
Got to be the Newman/Trebilcock sideways penalty.

If I recall correctly Newman placed the ball for the penalty stepped back and then passed it sideways - my failing memory thought it was to George Carter but could well have been Trebilcock. Either way they were outside the penalty area when Newman kicked it and then ran into shoot passed the goalie. Cannot remember who it was against.

Aug 5, 2016
mervyn":2216pjhy said:
Knibbsworth":2216pjhy said:
Got to be the Newman/Trebilcock sideways penalty.

Before my time. Was it a pass first? Was this banned later?

Yes, the penalty kick was a marginal sideways pass.

With goalkeeper dived and on the floor, player 2 (the onrunning Trebilcock, coming from outside the box with all the other players) has all the goal to aim for.

Obviously it is crucial player 2 gets to the ball before any defender.

Henry and Pires tried it about 15 years ago, but Henry made a hash of the penalty kick. I don't think he made proper contact so the goal never stood.

Afterwards, Match of the Day showed Argyle doing it properly in the early 70s.

As far as I know the method hasn't yet been banned.

I think Suarez and Messi did it for Barca and were hailed as crafty South American geniuses.

Jun 27, 2019
It was Pires who 'took' the penalty, but he flunked the pass, scuffing the ball with his studs so wasn't able to touch it again as Henry charged past him screaming for him to pass it.

Apparently they had an absolute roasting from Wenger as it was only 1-0 at the time! Anyone know what the score in the Argyle game was when we did it?

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I seem to remember Terry Venables being involved in something similar for Crystal Palace. No details remembered I´m afraid.