Barnsley.... (and Argyle) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Barnsley.... (and Argyle)

Nov 21, 2020
Just wondered what your take/experiences with Barnsley were?
Obviously we're thankful of Steve Cooper in the late 80's :D Full on entertainment he was!
My first trip to Home Park following my lot was on the special train in 1980. A 3-1 win, and a few hundred Argyle fans giving the police the runaround in the park afterwards are what jumps out.
Also a certain FA Cup tie in the early 90's and not to.mention the abandoned match lol.

Whenever I think of trips to Barnsley, it makes me think of getting peed in a swimming pool, given that's about the closest place to drink.

Saying that, I went with a friend from Sheffield once, must be around 2008 and just before Christmas. She was very much into making mulled wine around that time. We took a 1.5L flask and as we arrived a couple of minutes after kick off, no one checked our bags. Seem to remember quite an enjoyable afternoon, if not much of the game.

M

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Nov 21, 2020
Lol @ Skinner Normanton... :lol: Parky's most loved footballer.
I guess we celebrate like we've won the Championship cos it's a rare occurrence scoring etc lol.

Have to say, I've always admired Argyle's away support. Normally brought decent numbers to Oakwell - even back in the 80's

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I attended Barnsley for the first time a coupe of seasons ago. It was a Tuesday night and I loved it under floodlights.

A proper ground and the burger vans outside were 'ansome.

Met David Norris that night as well which was a bonus.

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
Lived there for 4 years...never got to see Argyle play there as we were struggling to stay in the League at that point and Barnsley were in the Championship.

Nice club though. Has a good old school feel to it and saw a few matches when invited (one of the friends was an avid fan).

Aug 4, 2011
Had a friend who was an avid Barnsley fan (despite having a cockney accent), Barnsley were a premiership side when I met him in the 90’s and Argyle were, well being Argyle and yo yoing between the bottom two divisions.

As the years progressed, Argyle got better as Barnsley got worse. Attended all the games at Oakwell (him in the home end me in the away) found a good few pubs round the city centre.

I even went in the Barnsley end in a game at Torquay with him once. Very strange being in an away end of a team you had no affiliation with amongst their most hardcore supporters.

(Before I met him) I do remember the cup games of 94. How lucky you were with a draw and how you brought quite “a firm” down. The away end piled down to the entrance gates after the final whistle (despite away fans in those days being held back and lead out through the lyndhurst). One bloke somehow snake hipped his way out between the railings and was suitably set apon by police dogs.

Nov 21, 2020
I once spent a week in Tavistock with an old neighbour prior to start of the season. Can't remember if it was 1990 or 91 :think:
We lost 2-1 and i think it was Dwight Marshall's dehut for Argyle?

Also know what you mean regarding being in the away end with "other" fans lol. Once went to Watford and Chelsea with a WBA supporting mate when i was living in London. Felt strange

Jan 27, 2012
Steve Cooper was one of my favourite players back in the day. He wasn’t the best player in the team, but he was the most exciting. You could tell he was a former gymnast with all his acrobatics.

I only saw him do somersaults on TV though- for Barnsley. He never did that celebration for Argyle.

Aug 10, 2006
remember going to Barnsley early 80s in the big open end behind the goal no roof then Barnsley fans were throwing spuds at us with razor blades stuck in them good day that was , also always liked that double tier stand on the side, won a good few £ a few years ago at 40 to 1 we won 3 -1 we were 1 nil down Bolasie came on and ripped Barnsley to bits down the left hand side funny thing was mariner never started Bolasie against Swansea on the Tuesday.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Memories of Barnsley?-
Rory Fallon’s amazing goal from 40 yards
Mariner introducing Bolasie as a second half sub and very closely coaching him up and down the touch line
My son and his friend being asked to represent Argyle in the half time penalty competition ( it was a draw) but he got an Argyle signed football as a reward

Birdwell? Aye she’s fine..

Nov 11, 2020
2007 August we lost 3-2 after being 3-0 down , proper ground as I recall. And 2009 at our place you brought a good following for last game win to stay up, majority of Barnsley fans were well peed and why not !