Apr 3, 2013
Ipswich Town
Official website
Fans forum
Twitter
Latest News

The Countdown to Ipswich Town

Wednesday

Argyle have played the Tractor Boys a total of 22 times at Home Park, winning nine games, drawing seven and losing six, the last game was a 1-1 draw in the Championship in October 2009.
The Argyle line-up that day: Romain Larrieu, David Gray, Shane Lowry, Kari Arnason, Gary Sawyer, Alan Judge, Carl Fletcher, Karl Duguid, Jim Paterson, Rory Fallon, Jamie Mackie. Subs: Cillian Sheridan, Chris Clark, Darcy Blake.

Ipswich have won just once in their last seven games in all competitions and have one point from their last four away games in League One, currently sitting in fifth place.

According to Sky Bet Argyle are 6/4 to win the game, an Ipswich win has odds of 29/10 and the draw is on offer at 12/5.

Ipswich Town fan 'Mr Town' has kindly agreed to give Pasoti users an insight into his club with a Q&A ....
Q: How has your club coped through the Covid-19 pandemic? 
A: A tough period no doubt. Furlough scheme used for off-field staff. Owner Marcus Evans made fortune in hospitality industry; an industry significantly hit by the pandemic. The transfer budget was tight before, it will be near non-existent moving forward as we recover from the financial implications of the pandemic. We pay nothing on fees, but high wages at this level, we need fans back as many as possible, but only when it is safe to do so. 

Q: What are your thoughts on manager Paul Lambert? 
A: Lambert should have gone by now, his time here is done, and a truly terrible time it has been here. From a personal perspective the worst Ipswich Town manager there has ever been, and we've had some bad ones. The situation has turned from professional football club to a circus. Lambert now banning local media from press conferences, backroom staff fighting each other at training, constantly throwing young kids under the bus in post-match interviews, it's all gone very very toxic here. 
The football is stale, uninventive, slow, easy to defend against, easy to attack against. Any team posing half a threat has rolled us over in 2nd gear, in a worryingly similar format to that of last season. 
This is undoubtedly the worst coached ITFC side I have ever seen in my life. The basic fundamentals of any professional team have not been installed into the players after 2 and half years, that's an incredibly worrying thing. 
Following Ipswich isn't for love right now, it's a chore.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League One this season? 
A: With Lambert - 10th. With the Cowley's - 3rd - it's a good squad that really needs to be coached properly, disciplined, organised. 

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Ipswich likely to use against Argyle? 
A: 4-3-3 -dull/mundane football, predominately passed in triangles from 2 CB's and GK. Teams often sit off, and we don't have invention or ideas to break them down. When opposing teams do regain possession, they look like hurting us on every attack. As previously, we are easy to defend against, we are easy to attack against. 
We sit 2nd for total ball possession in League 1. We sit 21st for ball possession in the opposing final third. That tells you everything you need to know about our 'style'.

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle? 
A: I like Plymouth, a really nice part of the country. A club back on the incline in my opinion, should be a Championship club I feel, Home Park full after redevelopment, certainly a Championship club for me. 
A really good manager, worked wonders at Bury. Good squad, nice blend of experience and youth, 3-5-2 system looks well-drilled by Ryan Lowe. Danny Mayor technically one of the very best in League 1 in my opinion. 
Suspect you will finish similar to ourselves - 10th/9th/8th - first season back in League 1, you have to be happy with that. 
Sorry to say - I know we will be in L1 next year, but I hope you are too, so I can have a great away day down there next year!

Q: Finally, do you have a prediction for the game? 
A: 2-0 Plymouth, you won't get out of 2nd gear, will win at a canter.
Wishing you all the very best, a great Christmas, and most importantly, stay safe.

------------------------

Ollie Yates is the man in the middle for the game, so far this season he has issued 46 yellow cards and no reds in 13 games and was last in charge of an Argyle game in February last season when the Greens beat Newport County 1-0 at Home Park, sending off Gary Sawyer in the 85th minute.
Yates will be assisted on Saturday by Andrew Laver and Richard Morris while the fourth official is Robert Dabbs.

This Saturday will see fans return to Home Park for the first time since 7 March, a period of 273 days and a total of 15 first team games where fans have been absent.
The club have designated the match as a 'test event' allowing 1,808 fans into Home Park. club statement.

Mark Ramsey, chairman of the ITFC Supporters Club, has also kindly agreed to take part in a Q&A ....
Q: How has your club coped through the Covid-19 pandemic? 
A: We as a Club are surviving Covid with our owners support although we would like the Club to communicate the situation a little better.

Q: What are your thoughts on manager Paul Lambert? 
A: We support our manager, although he leaves us scratching our heads at times.

Q: What are your expectations and predicted finishing position in League One this season? 
A: Do you have a crystal ball ? We would like to hope the top 6 but with current injuries we may struggle.

Q: Without giving too much away what style of football and formation are Ipswich likely to use against Argyle? 
A: With so many injuries just getting 11 on the field maybe a challenge. We may have to play our 6ft 7in goalie up front!

Q: Looking from afar what are your views on Plymouth Argyle? 
A: Great Club in a far flung area of a beautiful part of the country . Managing to do well thru the pandemic and getting some good results. We will never forget you sold us Paul Mariner and are eternally grateful for that . I’m sure both sets of fans are hoping he recovers well from his recent operation.

Q: Finally, do you have a prediction for the game? 
A:If we can play anywhere near our 1st eleven we will win. However with the current injury situation I would settle for a draw. We wish you well for the rest of the season apart from Saturday and the return game planned for March 13th. We also wish you well and your fans especially as some will be allowed into your ground on Saturday. Stay safe and well and good luck for the forthcoming festive season. 
---------------------------------

They played for both: Paul Mariner, Steve McCall, Ronan Murray, David Norris and Alan Judge. Any more?      

Ipswich won the top flight league title in the 1961/1962 season and finished runners-up in 1980/1981 and 1981/1982 and won the FA Cup in 1977/1978 and the UEFA Cup in 1980/1981.    
The Tractor Boys were last in the Premier League in 2002.   

Thursday

Ipswich manager Paul Lambert comes under pressure from fans and local media .... TWTD.

A ballot amongst 9,000 season ticket holders will take place to decide who returns to Portman Road .. .Ipswich club website.

Ipswich General Manager gives his backing to Paul Lambert .... TWTD.

Ryan Lowe's pre-match press conference ... club You Tube.

Captain Joe Edwards looks ahead to the game ... club You Tube.

Friday

Q&A with Ipswich manager Paul Lambert ... East Anglian Daily Times.

Paul Lambert looks ahead to the game .... Ipswich club website.

Argyle v Ipswich Frequently Asked Questions .... club website.

Saturday

Match preview ... club website.

Meet Plymouth Argyle, opposition view ... East Anglian Daily Times.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Big Frank - Frank Nouble
Billy Clarke

Apr 8, 2014
Talk about chalk and cheese. The first interview seemed very honest with the situation the second seemed frustrated... do you have a crystal ball? Jeeze, sorry we asked.

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
Reading between the lines Ipswich fans see us romping away with this so I imagine the coaching staff will try a new strategy and park the bus :whistle:

The first time, in fact the only time I have seen Argyle play Ipswich at Home Park was in 1966. My first ever Argyle game, been addicted ever since. From memory it was a draw, hopefully we will do better this time.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
It’s going to require one helluva turn around after Tuesdays sh*t show and Ipswich are a far better team than Rochdale - I’d be happy with a point, tbh. :think:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Reading that, a team to be aggressive against surely. If Mayor isn't fit or 100% Camara has to start to carry the ball into danger areas. The Sideways Club of Grant and Reeves will be just what the Ipswich defence will be hoping for

Jun 27, 2019
Emeraldinho":icracyok said:
It’s going to require one helluva turn around after Tuesdays sh*t show and Ipswich are a far better team than Rochdale - I’d be happy with a point, tbh. :think:

Yeah, though Argyle are also a far better team than they showed on Tuesday.

Ipswich are in turmoil, their manager has lost the plot and there will be 2,000 home fans there. I wouldn't take a point because I think we can get all three.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
WoodsyGreen":b2b9tgma said:
Emeraldinho":b2b9tgma said:

Yeah, though Argyle are also a far better team than they showed on Tuesday.

Ipswich are in turmoil, their manager has lost the plot and there will be 2,000 home fans there. I wouldn't take a point because I think we can get all three.

If we start off like we have the last couple of games that may be a disadvantage!

Just pray that Mayor's available for this one...

Oct 20, 2015
This has all the ingredients for the Worst Game Ever Played. 0-0.

Loved the comment for Grant & Reeves, "The Sideways Club"!!!