January transfer window - what do we need/who will leave? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

January transfer window - what do we need/who will leave?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We are covered in all positions with at least two players able to fight for each position in the team.

What we haven't got is a tough, hardman, someone able to put a foot in and do the dirty stuff. So I reckon we need this type player in January at either centre-back or centre defensive midfield.

The loans of Fulham pair Abraham and Opoku come to an end in January, Abraham is very likely to return home but Opoku has played enough games to suggest his loan may be extended.
The short-term contract for Jack Ruddy also expires in January.
So there's scope to part ways with two or three players and bring in another one or two.

Players who are not regularly playing (Telford?) might fancy a loan move to play games each week and one or two (Macleod?) might have the last six months of their contract paid up.

And will a big offer come in for Jephcott?

Randell's loan at Torquay ends in January so he could return to HP and be around the matchday squad.

Of the 12 players signed in the late summer four of them have played five games or less each.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Its very difficult, because lots of players have shown flashes of why they deserve to be at this level. Fornah has had the odd good game. Canavan has actually had an ok season but people seem determined to focus on the Rochdale debacle and the Fleetwood red card for some reason. Even Wootton had some decent games. There must be a reason why Abraham isn't playing, but are we ever going to find out if he's good or not?!

If pushed, I'd say we should let go:
Try and shift Wootton
Don't extend Opoku's loan
Try and shift Telford
Don't extend Abraham's loan

Sign:
One centre back, right sided/central
One striker

(Depending a little on his next few performances) I'd just about keep Fornah - I can't help feeling there's a really good player in there somewhere.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
I’m worried about a large offer for Jephcott. A very real possibility of losing him.

I totally agree we need a ‘hardman’ CB, and an additional striker. Two top priorities.

Abraham and Ruddy I’d imagine nailed on to free up headcount.

I wouldn’t cry if Telford was moved on.

Jun 27, 2019
A large offer for Jephcott won't be a problem so long as it isn't a Plymouth price and it comes in early enough for us to find a replacement.

I'm not saying I want to lose him, but we have to be realistic. Our squad needs an injection of quality so if we can get £2m for Jephcott then RL will be able to go out and bring in several good quality signings.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
If we accept part of the PL rescue package of £20m for clubs in the most need of financial assistance called a monitored grant it comes with several restrictions including not paying transfer fees in January. If we receive £2m for Jephcott it could be argued we don't need extra financial assistance.

A club in receipt of a monitored grant will be unable to pay a transfer fee for one window and will face a cap on fees of £20,000 in League One and £10,000 in League Two until the end of next season. Moreover, all clubs with at least 22 first-team players will only be able to make free transfers if an existing player leaves and if the new player’s wages do not exceed 75 per cent of those of the player he is replacing. 

We are due £375,000 as an initial payment from the PL which doesn't come with restrictions.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Out:
Shift Canavan out on loan to free up wages
Cancel Abraham’s loan

In’s
Designated LWB
Commanding CB

We need a voice in this team. A vocal commanding figure to lead .

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
If only we could breed a cross between Graham Coughlan and Razor Ruddock as an all action leader, who takes no prisoners.
It is that type of CB that is missing.

Mar 12, 2011
Plymouth
Just get Graham Coughlin back has a defensive coach to sort out our defence, you don"t become bad players overnight, its all about confidence and playing as a team, as a previous Manager stated football teams are like a jigsaw you have to have the right pieces in the right places and it takes time.

Jul 12, 2016
Quintrell_Green":2mvvxrci said:
If only we could breed a cross between Graham Coughlan and Razor Ruddock as an all action leader, who takes no prisoners.
It is that type of CB that is missing.
Seconded! :thumbup:

Jul 12, 2016
happydays69":co49f1re said:
Just get Graham Coughlin back has a defensive coach to sort out our defence, you don"t become bad players overnight, its all about confidence and playing as a team, as a previous Manager stated football teams are like a jigsaw you have to have the right pieces in the right places and it takes time.
But the defenders were not that good to start with?

Jul 12, 2016
ealinggreen":3avln59k said:
We don’t need anything just a settled team.
You can't have been watching the same team as me then.
We have weaknesses in all areas of the team.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Dan Ellard":3tmq2fw4 said:

I'd say that's very harsh Dan. :shock:

I think he's a great little player.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":17ubgm96 said:
Dan Ellard":17ubgm96 said:

I'd say that's very harsh Dan. :shock:

I think he's a great little player.
I think he's done better than Wootton this season, for sure. But he's had as many bad games as Canavan this season imo, and Canavan is our player; Opoku isn't. With Watts and Sawyer having the left centre back slots sewn up, I don't see where Opoku fits in. If it was Canavan on loan and Opoku being our player, I'd be saying the reverse.

Apr 1, 2009
happydays69":3ctit557 said:

That would be the Graham Coughlan who gave up his job in Bristol in order to work closer to his family in Sheffield. Does he get any say in the matter?