Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Thatā€™s a very patronising article. Gives the impression that teams can just walk in and take any player who is doing well. Donā€™t we get a say in it?

Jun 27, 2019
Steve Evans":194lpdif said:
anything less than ten million pounds is not acceptable.

There's no doubt we've let players go for below market value in recent history, but if we placed a Ā£10m pricetag on Jephcott's head his agent will demand a contract worthy of a Ā£10m player.

I'd say Ā£2.5m plus significant add-ons will be about right, but obviously I hope we keep hold of him for the rest of this season at least. Without his goals we'd be stuffed.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
The ingredients are different this time round regarding the sale of our youngsters. Firstly and most importantly we don't need to sell Jephcott. Due to the Halletts amazing generosity we as a club are in a much better position than others.
2. As in all cases these days, our form on the pitch will sway a players mind. Does Jephcott have an agent? I expect he does. Is that agent a self serving leech of a human who will push for a move regardless of how good it is for the player.
3. This is contentious. Jephcott needs IMO to be playing in a formation which is out of fashion. 4-4-2. He needs a partner, a foil. He is a finisher. A natural one. Not a lot else. That knack is priceless but it won't fit into many modern set ups. So that narrows the field.
If we go down then a move is inevitable thus why I say our success and development as a club is key to players like him staying with us.
I hope he becomes a club legend like Sir Thomas but that was an age ago.

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
I don't want him to go, but i can definitely see him going in January if he's still scoring and we're not doing so well.

I can see Luke definately playing in the championship, and possible the premiership in time.

So for that reason we really shouldn't let him go for anything under Ā£5M

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I remember Barnsley being like that when Hourihane left.

We should quote Ā£10m end of, he should be looking higher than them.

IF we let him go at this stage that would allow us to get someone else in of proven skill rather than that of potential.

He's a natural born scorer, no coach can change that, he will score in whatever league he's in.

Ā£10m of or sod off.

May 8, 2011
If Jephcott isnā€™t attracting attention from other Clubs it doesnā€™t say much for their scouting networks or the Data analysis companies they use.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 26, 2006
HC Green":2kb28ffz said:
If Jephcott isnā€™t attracting attention from other Clubs it doesnā€™t say much for their scouting networks or the Data analysis companies they use.

Doesnā€™t say much about a previous Manager who didnā€™t rate him either :greensmile:

I think heā€™ll stay until at least the summer but fear heā€™ll go for a Million or two max with huge add ons. The Hallets have been superb but arenā€™t stupid, and canā€™t keep finding momey for the club to stay afloat . A Golden Goose like Luke doesnā€™t come around very often and as green tinted as Iā€™m supposed to be, the reality is we are a mid table 3rd division club at the moment amidst a global pandemic, Money is more or less everything at the moment and if we have a decent offer it will be taken.

May 16, 2016
I like the bit about him being young with the potential for being sold for big money in the future.

Like we hadn't thought of that. Barnsley fan suffering from "The likes of" syndrome maybe?

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
Ashley Barnes type.

I think we would take Ā£3m as a start with significant add ons

May 8, 2011
Bubba":2gjg175n said:
HC Green":2gjg175n said:

Doesnā€™t say much about a previous Manageru who didnā€™t rate him either :greensmile:

I think heā€™ll stay until at least the summer but fear heā€™ll go for a Million or two max with huge add ons. The Hallets have been superb but arenā€™t stupid, and canā€™t keep finding momey for the club to stay afloat . A Golden Goose like Luke doesnā€™t come around very often and as green tinted as Iā€™m supposed to be, the reality is we are a mid table 3rd division club at the moment amidst a global pandemic, Money is more or less everything at the moment and if we have a decent offer it will be taken.

networks or the Data analysis companies they use.[/quote]

Doesnā€™t say much about a previous Manageru who didnā€™t rate him either :greensmile:

Which manager was that because it certainly isnā€™t the one who made the decision to keep him at Argyle and not release him at 18.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Perhaps we should be looking at the sale of Ivan Toney as a barometer for what is realistic? He scored 26 goals in all comps last season and was sold an initial fee of Ā£5 million raising to double that in add-ons. Iā€™m not saying Jephcott will equal that goal scoring tally but he is a few years younger so I think commanding a fee of Ā£3 million-Ā£5million isnā€™t unreasonable.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I just hope any improbable interest does nor generate another stupid assessment of value by the arbitration body of the EFL.

Have Argyle ever been seen to come out of that method smiling all the way to the bank