Luggy's Answers (to our Q&A). | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Luggy's Answers (to our Q&A).

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Here are the answers from Luggy (who by the way, likes to read PASOTI on a regular basis :wave: )

VJlVjcb.jpg

Steve Evans

Would you consider, if asked,taking on an advisory or scouting role at argyle or are you now happily retired?

Living in Cornwall would make life as a scout very difficult indeed due to the geography. However, I love coaching and working on the training ground. Working with a youth team is something that interests me.

You brought one of my all time favourite players to us,the legendary david friio,were you aware of his brilliance or did you simply take a punt?

I signed David to play in a sitting midfield position as he had played a lot of his career as centre back. Very soon after he signed, I was holding a training session and Buster ran down the wing and sent in a cross which David connected brilliantly with his head and scored. At that point I decided to have a punt with him as an attacking midfielder. It also helped as Stevie Adams was perfect for the holding midfield role

=========================

Phil (London)

Pound for pound, who would you rate as your best signing for Argyle when you were manager, and which positions would you be looking at strengthening as a priority if you were the current Argyle manager?

Mickey Evans. He finished the building of the team. Such an important cog.

With regard to commenting on todays team, that would be very unprofessional of me, so I will dodge that one. Ryan is a good manager, he will turn things around I am sure.

==========================

Phil Patton

Hello Luggy
Although I fully understand the reasons why you chose to leave Argyle for Southampton just before our promotion to the Championship, with hindsight, do you ever regret that decision and what would you realistically think you could have achieved with Argyle had you stopped?

My team surprised me as players that I didn’t think would survive in the Championship did so. I do believe that with a solid backbone and some strengthening Argyle could have spent some time in the Premiership. Don’t forget that squad was built for League 2 originally and it evolved into something that I am very proud of

Did I ever regret it? Maybe that’s one for a book one day…

=============================

From Ed

Did you suggest Bobby Williamson as your replacement?

No I didn’t.

Aside from league position, how different was the club when you rejoined? Was there a different feel?

It was a different feel to the club, not the same as the first time but it was a privilege to come back

Was it your decision to replace Kevin Summerfield with Paul Mariner? Your story in your autobiography about Mariner not being comfortable working with defenders was alarming.

Summers and Sloop had already decided to leave the club and would not return the following season. The decision to bring in Paul was not my decision.

How soon did you sense that financial difficulties were imminent?

The financial make up of the club changed the higher we climbed. A difficult one to answer.

Is it more difficult to manage players the higher up the pyramid you go? Some might think it is easier because of ability but what about when egos and salaries/contract clauses come in to the equation?

You have to choose the players you want to sign very carefully. As you say, its not just about ability, its about work ethic, geography, wage demands and so on.

How do you see the future of football? Is a restructure necessary and what should it look like? Is a European league imminent?

I love the play offs, they revolutionised the game. Change is important but not for the sake of it. European league? Hope not.

===================================

Steve Gates

Hi Luggy,

You’re an absolute legend. Can I ask, in your two spells as Argyle manager, is there a particular game that stands out as being the most complete performance by your team?

Sheffield Wednesday away. 3-1

======================================

Alan

What is your view on the current formation used by Ryan Lowe and what formation would you use in the current situation….

It would be very unprofessional of me to comment on Ryan and his team. I am a fan of his and he has done a great job with the backing of a very good chairman.

If you were to ask me about the game as a whole. I get demented watching teams that play 1 up front, 3 midfield with 2 behind and 4 at the back. The amount of teams that concede goals by bad passing is incredible. This system is for Premier League and quality players. Sometimes I have to turn the TV off. There are too many square and back passes and the Managers are telling players to do things that some players are simply not capable of doing.

=============================================

Mike Gale

What do you think of Data Driven Analyst for recruiting players.

I think it has to be part of the equation. However, I like to use my eye. Ill tell you within ten minutes if I want to sign someone

How important is a strong captain.

Very. The Captain has to control the team on the pitch.

What would your coaching team consist of. Coughlan, Nuno Espírito Santo and Marcelo Bielsa.

What do you think of VAR / should explayers and managers involved..

The quicker they get rid of it the better as it spoils the game. However if it is here to stay use ex players / managers but choose carefully.

What is more important winning or entertaining football.

Winning. Everyone is happy.

============================================

“Balham Green”

If you could change anything from your time managing Argyle what would it be?

During my second tenure I tried to build a young team but was obviously under pressure to win games (with tight budgets). I signed Bolasie, Puncheon, Arneson, Gallagher, Noone, Mackie, Barnes, Mason but sadly managers don’t often get the time they need.

Who was your most difficult player to manage?

Nobody really as I just got rid

=========================================

David Woodrow

During your time at Argyle which players did we come close to signing that, with hindsight, would've added a lot of value to the team, but ultimately slipped through the net?

Difficult one. It was a common occurance for players not to sign, so too many to think of!

===========================================

Jason

Name your best XI from all your time at Argyle over both spells.

I couldn’t disrespect any of my old players but leaving certain ones out. Maybe I will put it in book one day.

===========================================

Bevis Robins

Hey Luggy!

What is your proudest achievement:-

As Argyle manager - Winning the league with a team I built. However, a very proud moment was returning to Home Park when I was the manager of Southampton to watch as a spectator and seeing the team beat Burnley 1-0.
2. As a manager of any other team Promotion with Sheffield Wednesday and Swindon in first season in charge.
3. As a player. Winning the League 82/83 with Dundee United. Also progressing to the semi finals of European Cup to play Roma.

“Mercedes”

What was the 'real' story regarding Emile Mpenza? He was obviously oozing with class, so what went wrong and why didn't he play?

Quality player that never played to my standards after signing, apart from when we played Cardiff and he was outstanding

============================================

Steve Rhodes

How big an influence was Jim McLean on your methods and general style of management?

Jim moulded my career. He was a genius coach and tactically brilliant. However his man management left a lot to be desired… Great man though.

==============================================

Liam Vercoe

Since you've kept a keen interest in Argyle since leaving, who has been your favourite Argyle player that hasn't played under you?

The boys Carey and Mayor caught my eye

“Gaspergomez"

Any chance of another book ? Your last one was too short and we want to know more.

I really don’t know. Now I am retired it is at the maybe stage. Never say never. If I did I could be more candid.

=========================

Ian De Lar

Was it a difficult choice to pick Paul Wotton or Graham Coughlan as captain?

Wotton was always more vocal and Cocko quieter. However, Cocko played like a Captain and was hugely respected by his team mates. Wotton was a good Captain for me

===========================

Ian Newell

On that same subject, did you have any problem with Wotts and Cocko ‘not getting on’.

I think all of the players respected the management and the management respected the players. Senior players sometimes vented but that’s part and parcel of the game.

================================

“Jespafc”

If you had to choose your favourite match as Argyle manager, which match would it be?

Chesterfield at home. 5 up in 20 mins

==================================
"Forest of Dean Green”

What was the game when Argyle played, from your perspective, the best under your tenure and why?

v Sheff Wed away. The most complete performance. Great day.

Was there a ‘near miss’ signing you failed to get over the line for Argyle that you regretted?

Christian Dailly.

====================================

Martin Hayman

How hard is it to persuade players to sign for us. Could you give a rough estimate of what percentage of targets stated they had no interest in coming here.

Yes. Various reasons, including geography, wives, wages. Mostly wages.

That’s why I wanted nuggets.

====================================

Paul R

Now that you can't get in trouble for saying it, who is the player that we nearly signed that would have made us go 'Omg!’

Ronaldo

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Luggy...Many thanks....some very candid replies...

Jan 27, 2012
I consider Paul Sturrock to be a legend of the game- and not just here at Argyle.
A manager who really knows what he is doing and desrves more credit nationally.
I hope the next book happens.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Really enjoyed reading that.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
Great Read thanks to all involved in making it happen

Jun 27, 2019
Great stuff from a great man who is right up there in the Argyle hall of fame (if we had one).

Those three seasons of his first spell will be difficult to top for me. He built a bloody good team that was far too good for not just one but two divisions!

Jul 14, 2008
I know that this might seem a bit silly but I’d love there to be a fundraising campaign to get a statue of Luggy to go with the forthcoming and very welcome Jack Leslie statue. He’s such a hero to so many of us for the way he turned the club around from being in the absolute doldrums in the late 90s and gave us some great memories.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
"Carey and Mayor caught the eye."

Is that the Mayor who has "No end product"??

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Brilliant. Thank you for taking the time to do this - Ian and Paul.

Oct 31, 2015
During my second tenure I tried to build a young team but was obviously under pressure to win games (with tight budgets). I signed Bolasie, Puncheon, Arneson, Gallagher, Noone, Mackie, Barnes, Mason but sadly managers don’t often get the time they need

Blimey I had forgotten Luggy 2 had bought that bunch in. That's some squad looking back. 5 of them played prem football.

Perhaps if the club wasn't in the mire and had a little more time that would have been some squad :shock:

Jul 18, 2011
I was surprised no one asked him about who had coached Sturrock Jnr to spend the last five minutes of each game holding the ball up in the corner...