• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

60 years ago today

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I've been lucky to witness some amazing days at Home Park. And 60 years ago today was one of them, when Wilf Carter created a record that has yet to be beaten. Argyle had lost 6-4 at the Valley the previous day. Both teams left the Valley together and boarded the same train at Paddington, en route to meeting at Home Park the next day. Overnight both sides stayed at the Seymour Hotel in Totnes, owned by Argyle chairman Ron Blindell. Blindell had been informed by the travelling director that "Carter looked jaded at the Valley and needed to be rested". Over dinner, Blindell told joint manager George Taylor that Jackson should replace Carter. As it happens centre forward George Kirby and inside left Jim McAnearney both reported injuries just before dinner. So Jackson came in at 10 for McAnearney and young Cornishman made his debut at inside right while Carter moved to centre forward. After 33 minutes the "jaded Carter" had scored a hat-trick, the first from an astute pass by young Brown. Just before half time he added a header and notched his fifth with a trade-mark second half penalty. Alex Jackson got the sixth goal in a 6-4 victory, an exact reversal of the previous day's result. In 2011 I asked Alex Jackson what were his memories of such an historic day. "I remember it well. It was the first time I used the "soap-on-a-rope" my missus had give me for Christmas. They were very useful in the communal bath we had back then."

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Steve remember that game well, no wall to wall football on the TV in those days had to rely on the radio listening for the results, one of the many exciting Boxing Day games.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
I was an exile in those day living on the outskirts of London (1950/60's)....and I quite often went to a big London game on the Saturday....and as I came home via Victoria or Charing Cross I picked up an Evening Standard (late edition) hoping that amongst the stop press results I would at least find an Argyle latest score....we lived on tip-bits and scraps in those days....no phones giving goal scored updates......and I would wait until mid-week to get a Sunday West Country paper through the letter box to read about the game.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I can recall the reports of the game on the back of the Western Morning News. The score reversal certainly gave credance to Greavsie's lasting quote of 'football is a funny old game;

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I wasn't an Argyle supporter then but picking up on Princerock's point, I can remember having to ring football grounds on a Wednesday (usually) night to try to speak to someone about what the score was.

I can recall ringing Barnsley in the 60s and the lady who answered couldn't see the game, didn't know the score but she did say 'they're all moaning around me so I think you're winning'. That's what it was like pre TeleText. :greensmile:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
IJN":1xrydoax said:
I wasn't an Argyle supporter then but picking up on Princerock's point, I can remember having to ring football grounds on a Wednesday (usually) night to try to speak to someone about what the score was.

I can recall ringing Barnsley in the 60s and the lady who answered couldn't see the game, didn't know the score but she did say 'they're all moaning around me so I think you're winning'. That's what it was like pre TeleText. :greensmile:
The players told me that after an away game the team bus would stop at the first phone box. The Herald reporter would take a big bag of coins and all his typed copy and dictate it down the phone. Beyond comprehension now.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
In those days the only media outlet was the football final edition of the herald on a Saturday night and I remember dozens of fans on mutley plain after a match waiting for the extra final...

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I used to rendezvous with my family, if I attended a match, at Derry's Clock at 6pm. I was able to buy a Football Herald there, but it also carried short reports and results of the South Western League. The newspaper office must have worked fast to get the publication out that early.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
oddball":2ebbhvks said:
In those days the only media outlet was the football final edition of the herald on a Saturday night and I remember dozens of fans on mutley plain after a match waiting for the extra final...

Al what a paper that was a comprehensive report of the first team and reserves plus reports of the local SW, P&D and Combinations games all within 90 minutes of the game’s finishing, all done handraulic, with today’s digital technology we have to wait until the next day to get any kind of printed report.

Aug 14, 2014
The Football Herald would reach St Ives at around 9.30 pm in the 1960s, if I remember correctly. My father would regularly obtain a copy and what a read it was for Argyle and Cornish local football fans. I seem to recall rugby was given over to a few pages. Am I correct in recalling that some of the local reports did not cover up to full time? No matter, the sheer effort of all reporters and transcribers, with the technology of the time, to put the paper together was amazing looking back. I have not seen a copy for some 50 years, but still have a small scrap book containing the occasional cutting, as I am sure other fans will still have and look at with nostalgia.

Jan 11, 2016
Apologies to Memory Man for adding to the Football Herald hi-jacking of the original post but looking back to those days when it was Sports Report at 5.00pm or the 'late comers' reading of the results at 5.50pm and the Football Herald that kept us up to date with the day's action had me remembering that we were actually lucky enough to have the Football Herald delivered and usually before 18.30. This was pretty remarkable especially when you think that Argyle often kicked off at 15.15 with the games finishing at 16.55. I remember finding a copy of the Football Herald for the Torquay home game at the end of the 1951-52 season under the lino in the dining room! Sadly I've got no idea what happened to it but I have got a copy from Jan 9 1960 - the 2-3 defeat at WBA in the FA Cup when Wally Bellett played up front.

Does anyone know when the final edition of the Football Herald was published.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
I was at that game and Wilf Carter had the game of his life. An almost unbelievable two results.
Those Christmas/ Boxing day games in the Fifties and early Sixties were something special. One odd feature was the smell of cigars and cigarillos in what was then called the Milehouse end, as all those who received them as Christmas presents lit up!

I got my Football Herald at Peverell Corner where there was always a small group waiting. In those days I was playing in the Plymouth Combination and got a little bit of enjoyment out of seeing our results in the press. As said previously, to produce what they did in the time available was an amazing achievement by the Herald staff.