Marmite Managers ! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Marmite Managers !

Feb 23, 2006
see that Tony Pulis given the boot at Wednesday. Pulis one of those managers thats a Marmite Manager you either love or hate him. Pulis did do a reasonable stint here in steadying the club in difficult times. Where ever he goes theres controversy and divided opinions. Another Marmite manager is John Sheridan and then theres Big Sam Allardyce and probably more who travel through the leagues and clubs Perhaps unfortunate that both Pulis and Sheridan were managers of Argyle along their journeys but have they earned a reputation of sorts apart from their Argyle days. Theres probably more non former Argyle Marmite managers about.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
graygreen":s9l7gqtt said:
see that Tony Pulis given the boot at Wednesday. Pulis one of those managers thats a Marmite Manager you either love or hate him. Pulis did do a reasonable stint here in steadying the club in difficult times. Where ever he goes theres controversy and divided opinions. Another Marmite manager is John Sheridan and then theres Big Sam Allardyce and probably more who travel through the leagues and clubs Perhaps unfortunate that both Pulis and Sheridan were managers of Argyle along their journeys but have they earned a reputation of sorts apart from their Argyle days. Theres probably more non former Argyle Marmite managers about.

You could say Argyle were fortunate to have them as they kept Argyle up in times of need.

C

Cult Of Personality

Whilst his football not the best to watch . Puils layed the groundwork that Holloway then pushed on from. Pulis is a manager that given time will help setup a team but your not going to enjoy it

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Cult Of Personality":1subcrvb said:
Whilst his football not the best to watch . Puils layed the groundwork that Holloway then pushed on from. Pulis is a manager that given time will help setup a team but your not going to enjoy it

Amen to that. He makes Allardyce look like Pep. :facepalm:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
xmastree":2wh6a236 said:
Does anyone actually love John Sheridan the manager?

Apparently he lost both his parents over Christmas (not sure if to Covid), so I’m feeling love for him now. Loved him as a player too. As a manager, not so much.

Jul 24, 2009
Devongreenowl":nofk3mtf said:
xmastree":nofk3mtf said:

Apparently he lost both his parents over Christmas (not sure if to Covid), so I’m feeling love for him now. Loved him as a player too. As a manager, not so much.
I am sorry to hear that, condolences to him and his family.

In fairness he did very very well to keep us from going out of the league the year he took us over. I was convinced we were a goner. Improved us dramatically to tenth the next season and less dramatically to seventh the year after. Did a great job of developing Hourihane as a player too. He was by far one of the more important managers in terms of what he's achieved for us in my time supporting the greens. He then chose to leave us that summer and I think the feeling was it made sense from both sides for a fresh chapter.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
xmastree":21w3x45c said:

People that don't understand dry humour wouldn't like him. He was as funny as hell on many occasions.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah, Sheridan almost beyond criticism for us I think.

Saved us from almost certain relegation, stabilised the team and laid the foundations for promotion... at least an 8/10 job I reckon.

And some of the players he brought in were a bit good. Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Jason Banton Mk I, and Reuben Reid.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Chobham Green":2sg1ysml said:
And he paid the electricity bill (at least I think it was him).

Wasn’t that Peter Reid?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
John Sheridan did a good job for us.

When he took over, we were staring at relegation with an appalling team. He kept us up in the football league. The season after we secured a comfortable mid table finish. The season after that we finished in the play offs. He brought some very good players into the club, McCormick, Reid, Hartley & McHugh come to mind, Hourihane came on massively under him.

He left us in a much stronger position than he found us in and surely that's the main thing you want? He absolutely could have done more to buy into Plymouth in general, as well as connecting more with fans, but I do think he should be remembered more fondly than he is.