Brief synopsis | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
How much longer do we put up with this 1 step forward 2 steps back bollocks??

fudgeing frustrating

Mar 21, 2006
That was pi$$ poor. Oxford had the right game plan - chased us down at every opportunity. Our defence looked as vulnerable as ever. We had one or two chances first half. Cameron had a good game as did Mayor. But why bring Hardie off? He and Jephcott always look like they might conjure up a chance but Frank Nouble? Forget it. But at least put some effort in Nouble as you have fresh legs - don’t pretend to chase down the ball. Dom Telford? Why?
Depressing.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
I agree. Why is it that in this and other games they can look so good for a period ( usually at the beginning) and then pretty bad for the remainder of the game?

ngs

Apr 7, 2020
Weve gone back to over playing at the back, playing out from goal kicks etc.

It just invites pressure and stops us from getting out and up the pitch. Saying that the chipping out to the left wing where watts either loses the header or it goes out for a throw in isnt much better.

Jun 27, 2019
Argyle were controlling the game in the first-half and looking to add to a deserved lead. Then one long punt into the box confused our dreadful defence, who reverted to pinball machine mode (their favourite mode) and suddenly it was 1-1.

Never has a single goal changed the pattern of a match so much. I genuinely believe our defence causes jitters in the rest of the team, who must have it in the back of their minds that any time they lose the ball or concede a freekick our defence will gift the opposition a goal.

If changes aren't made in January then we're in a relegation fight.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Jesus, nothing like a bit of overreaction. An average performance that started brightly and fizzled out. Oxford are a decent side. Don't be fooled by their league position, they're a playoff standard side that has been hugely underperforming and it's no surprise they're now working their way up the league.

There were some good performances tonight. Edwards, Hardie and Camara in particular being the standouts. Unfortunately, that's all been undone by a moment of lunacy from Will Aimson and a general inability to defend set pieces. Until we get the basics right, we will continue to ship goals. Lets hope the recruitment team has something lined up for Jan. Regardless, we're a mid-table/lower half team and we aren't going to win every game, it's just disappointing that we didn't manage to get a point out of this one after we started so well.

My main concern, barring the defence, is the lack of game-changers off the bench. I like most of our first XI, but think the drop off to the backups is stark.

Let's hope we bounce back vs Gillingham.

Cooper - 6
Edwards - 7
Aimson - 4
Canavan - 6
Watts - 5
Grant - 7
MacLeod - 6
Mayor - 6
Camara - 8 (MOTM)
Jephcott - 6
Hardie - 7

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
WoodsyGreen":1gymx4sn said:
Argyle were controlling the game in the first-half and looking to add to a deserved lead. Then one long punt into the box confused our dreadful defence, who reverted to pinball machine mode (their favourite mode) and suddenly it was 1-1.

Never has a single goal changed the pattern of a match so much. I genuinely believe our defence causes jitters in the rest of the team, who must have it in the back of their minds that any time they lose the ball or concede a freekick our defence will gift the opposition a goal.

If changes aren't made in January then we're in a relegation fight.

In January we are only 3 days from January ! We are in a relegation battle let's not joke

Aug 15, 2015
Too much emphasis on this pretty game on the deck (and ironically that attempt is actually not that pretty). We were really poor from about 35-40 minutes in, a worrying performance.

I like MacLeod and you can see that he's good on the deck, but is he the type of player to protect the back four? He doesn't look it to me. You want an ugly illegitimate like Pierre Hojbjerg at Spurs or a Joey Barton or a John McGinn. Watching MacLeod and Mayor play, they are playing as though they have their ice skates on and they're skating on an ice rink. Camara has more tenacity and aggression than both of them and he's built like a matchstick. You can't have midfield passengers. Even more so when they're not delivering at what they are supposed to be good at. Same old story. Our midfielders drift in, and drift out. Far too exposed and overrun. In a midfield five maybe, but both don't command positionally. Fornah sadly doesn't look to be much better in regards to protecting the back four. Another twinkle toe player. Yes, the defence is weak but if you don't command the midfield then you are going to invite problems onto your defence.

That leads me to my next point. Poor recruitment. Who has he signed this summer that has delivered the goods? I don't include Hardie or Cooper for obvious reasons - and yet neither are yet up to last season's standards. Watts has to go down as our best signing for me and that's about a 6.5 for me. I can't even give 7 because we're conceding goals like we're getting bonuses for doing so and his attitude and commitment compensates for some of his weaknesses. But who else? Reeves has barely been given a go. Nouble after plenty of opportunity, just looks like he's not up to it. Opoku is nowhere to be seen. Fornah, well, I'm struggling to think of anything more than he's just 'ok' at best. But even in Fornah there's no barnstorming performance in him, nor that Camara hunger.

We really need to improve our recruitment in January. It's quite simply not been good enough if Kelland Watts is our best signing so far.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Shoenice":37ea7upv said:
That leads me to my next point. Poor recruitment. Who has he signed this summer that has delivered the goods? I don't include Hardie or Cooper for obvious reasons - and yet neither are yet up to last season's standards. Watts has to go down as our best signing for me and that's about a 6.5 for me. I can't even give 7 because we're conceding goals like we're getting bonuses for doing so and his attitude and commitment compensates for some of his weaknesses. But who else? Reeves has barely been given a go. Nouble after plenty of opportunity, just looks like he's not up to it. Opoku is nowhere to be seen. Fornah, well, I'm struggling to think of anything more than he's just 'ok' at best. But even in Fornah there's no barnstorming performance in him, nor that Camara hunger.

I don't disagree with your point, but Camara has been outstanding for most of the season barring one short spell. So i'd say he's been the best recruit.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Incredibly naive, again. Relegation battle.

Cooper 6
Aimson 3
Canavan 5
Watts 6
MacLeod 6
Edwards 5
Camara 8
Mayor 7
Grant 6
Hardie 7
Jephcott 6

Subs: Moore 5, Nouble 3, Fornah 5, Telford 5.

May 22, 2006
In complete control for thirty minutes but lacking ideas how to build on a one goal lead. Neither of the wing backs have the capability of beating a defender, so attacks fade out. The occasional cross is usually poor and straight to a defender. When players break through the middle they seem to hesitate, be unsure what to do, and lose possession.

Mayor is still not hitting the heights, although he still poses the greatest threat. Maybe move him to the wing to terrorise the opposition defence.

Byron Moore was at fault for the second, losing the ball on the halfway line and only jogging back to defend. Aimson wasn’t that bad in defence but Oxford players were trying to win free kicks from the start and any challenge in the box was going to give the ref a decision to make. The Hux had done well to ignore most tumbles. Actually thought Aimson got the ball. At least the Hux evened things up with an equally dubious penalty for Argyle.

Argyle should have got at least a point after the start they made. This will not do the confidence any good and we now appear to be in a genuine relegation battle.

Aug 15, 2015
Nobby":1afrmmi6 said:
Shoenice":1afrmmi6 said:

I don't disagree with your point, but Camara has been outstanding for most of the season barring one short spell. So i'd say he's been the best recruit.

Sorry - I completely forgot about Camara. He has been our best I would say. Totally forgot about him. For me, the only really good signing.

Aug 24, 2008
That game was completely devoid of any desire.

I didn't see 1 second ball won. Not one 50/50. I lost count of the unchallenged headers. The second goal the player just walked right through the middle of us.

It wasn't the worst performance I've seen, but maybe one of the most gutless.