Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Lowes biggest mistake this season. (Keeper)

Dec 17, 2005
Plymouth
Whilst I am not blaming Michael Cooper for all of Argyles problems defensively, I cannot understand why Argyle didn’t put him out on loan last season, to a National League club to get experience, like Randell is getting at Torquay this season. Cooper had only played -23 football before being thrown into the deep end of Lge 1 football. I honestly think if we had resigned Alex Palmer, we would have been 3 or 4 more points better off. He is a GK who commands his area, and organised his defence. I would like to know what Ryan Lowe would do now, if he could put the clock back, seeing how well Lincoln are doing.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Yeah, I can’t believe Cooper slide tackled Oxford’s winger in the box last night and gave away a penalty.

It was nearly as inexcusable as Cooper not tracking his runner in midfield for the second goal.

And don’t even get me started on him not winning the header for the first.

Absolutely shocking :furious:

Michael Cooper is doing OK, which is what should be expected for this stage of his career. Particularly given what’s in front of him. If we are to go on and be relegated, it won’t be because of him, unlike two years ago where the poor choice of keeper’s did play a big part in our relegation (although mainly a defensive problem).

Im sure Alex Palmer has helped to improve Lincoln, but their choice of centre backs is also better than ours, which makes a lot of difference.

Yes, we should’ve loaned him out. Probably during the season we were relegated, actually. That was the year he really stagnated. Last year he at least got cup minutes and matchday experience which is valuable in itself.

Aug 11, 2013
It was time to give Luke a chance weeks ago. He’s a great organiser and that could make all the difference. Agreed perhaps not the same ability in other areas where young Mike is much better but I’d doubt those saves would be needed with better organisation. Time to bite the bullet and try something - anything !

Get Luke in now !

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
From what I remember McCormick is not the best with the ball at his feet and distributing to start off play, whereas that is one of Cooper's strong points and probably why, in Lowe's opinion, Cooper is first choice.

However, a keeper is in the team to stop goals and not start attacks so given McCormick's leadership and organisational qualities it's time for a change, even though Cooper hasn't done much wrong, he's rarely shone either.

May 11, 2019
If we want to develop our own we have to play them, this might well cost us points, we were never going to be promoted this season and probably won’t be relegated, if he turns into a top keeper we cash in and invest in seasoned top league one players and hopefully kick on again, unfortunately many fans have no patience and want it all now.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
To be honest, the thing that is starting to concern me little about Cooper is that whilst he rarely makes mistakes, he also rarely does something impressive. It's very rare that he makes a wonder save for example. It's a term we normally use to describe outfield players, but games do seem to pass him by a bit, whereas Palmer would normally come up with a major contribution almost every game, as would McCormick, Matthews etc, whereas Cooper seems to just make the saves you'd expect him to make. I do like Cooper, and as I say, he isn't doing poorly, but I also wouldn't say he's doing well as such.

May 8, 2011
Not sure it can be called a mistake but being unable to persuade McFadzean to stay has caused part of the problem with the team this year, part of the reason why Mayor is not very effective based on last season’s performances in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2013
April 1971":2rex2mqk said:
If we want to develop our own we have to play them, this might well cost us points, we were never going to be promoted this season and probably won’t be relegated, if he turns into a top keeper we cash in and invest in seasoned top league one players and hopefully kick on again, unfortunately many fans have no patience and want it all now.

I agree completely - it’s just you need to balance his potential value (and if a buyer looked at his stats he would presumably command very little at present anyway given he’s part of one of the worst defences in league 1) against the ‘cost’ of a relegation - which to me seems no certain guarantee we will avoid and at present would be costlier!

Sep 25, 2010
Agreed Cooper is one for the future, but he does lack experience, he should be commanding his area more, especially his 6 yard box, where he seems rooted to the goal line, on crosses, like Jake Cole use to do.

He does need experience, and in ‘hindsight’, should have spent a season on loan. And probably should have had Palmer for another year.

McCormick is nowhere now, a league one keeper.

Jun 27, 2019
100%. Just because he's young and 'one of our own' does not mean he's immune from criticism. In fact, he is as much to blame for our defensive frailties as our awful centre-backs. Yes he might look better if we had actual defenders in front of him, but even then I'm not convinced he's a League One-standard keeper, or ever will be.

He can best be described as capable, but has not shown anything like the level required to suggest he's going to be a top keeper - despite some on here suggesting he's destined for the Premier League/England etc.

As I've said a dozen or so times, if he was any good a bigger club would have snapped him up ages ago.

Nov 18, 2011
Cobi Budge":2fwobk4q said:
Hmm, the main problem is that he’s playing behind a very weak defence.

Part of the reason a defence can play so badly is if they don't have confidence in the keeper. Whilst we were a league lower last season, our centre backs did look better with Palmer behind them.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I do agree with the OP that a season of first team football out on loan in the National League would have done Cooper the world of good instead of basically having to learn on the job in League 1. Hindsight would also say that it was definitely foolish not to sign another centre back or two in the summer.

May 16, 2016
Often if you look back, you can see that blaming the keeper is the easy option.

Oxfords first goal he was blocked from the ball by the Argyle player flailing on the floor in front of him. Nobody ever notices the failures leading up to conceding. He won't save every attempt straight at him, but he's suffering from playing behind the extreme opposite of defence during Larrieus golden period.

Aug 5, 2016
In the summer the majority of posters declared Cooper was good enough, that this was his time, and Palmer wasn't required.

Anyone who wrote that at the time shouldn't be allowed to moan at Lowe now.

Jun 27, 2019
Guiri Green":3tfxcl1j said:
Often if you look back, you can see that blaming the keeper is the easy option.

Oxfords first goal he was blocked from the ball by the Argyle player flailing on the floor in front of him. Nobody ever notices the failures leading up to conceding. He won't save every attempt straight at him, but he's suffering from playing behind the extreme opposite of defence during Larrieus golden period.

The first goal saw chaos in our defence, something the keeper has to take partial responsibility for. An almost identical scenario occured shortly after Oxford's first when our box once again resembled a pin ball machine. Cooper failed to do what he should have done and charge through the melee to claim the ball. It ended with a soft header right at him that he could only chest straight back into the danger zone.

Then in the second-half he came for a cross and completely missed it - thankfully the Oxford forward did too.

You say blaming the keeper is the easy option. I don't think Cooper has been blamed enough this season, because he's young and came through our academy. Why should that be a free pass to avoiding criticism when our other defenders are getting (rightly) hammered?

ps. I agree with Knibbsworth above - though I wasn't one of those who was in favour of Cooper being our No.1. Not bringing Palmer back (or another quality League One keeper) was a major gamble and it hasn't paid off.