Your Argyle 'career'

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I started supporting the Greens back in 1978, by the end of that 78/79 season we finished 15th in Division 3 (third tier), this season we are currently 17th in the third tier so basically I've dropped two places in 42 years! :lol:

I've seen six promotions and six relegations. My best finish was 7th in tier 2 (now the Championship) in 1986/1987.

What is your Argyle career?

Greens on Screen is your friend.

Jul 12, 2016
I started supporting Argyle in 1964 but unfortunately cannot remember which division we were in! :facepalm:

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
oldage":2r300dr0 said:
I started supporting Argyle in 1964 but unfortunately cannot remember which division we were in! :facepalm:

Same as me. I can't remember the division either although I do remember in those early years Torquay were very competitive and above us in the old division 3.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
started going in the late 1960's in what is now the championship,relegated in my first season,only two points for a win then.first hero mike bickle.

Apr 12, 2016
I moved around the country with family and later work. Came to Plymouth to work here in late 2000 (aged 33) and have been a regular at Home Park pretty much ever since. My first game at HP was a 1-0 win over Halifax in January 2001. For what it's worth I was brought up and still remain a Dunfermline supporter so effectively follow two teams

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
First taken to Home Park by my Dad In the late 1940s but first season I recall well is the 1951-52 season with promotion to the then Second Division. At Home Park for the last home game of the season against Torquay with promotion already secured. Remember captain Jumbo Chisholm leading the team out through a guard of honour of the Torquay players. Then very quickly went 0-2 down but goals from George Dews and Maurice Tasman secured a draw

Continued to support Argyle in exile for the following near 70 years. Thought at one stage might see this year a repeat of the 1951-52 season. Now looking rather unlikely!

Feb 8, 2005
My first visit to Home Park was with my Uncle, who was a regular supporter. Our nearest entrance was the Barn Park end, and I can remember being on top of his shoulders and watching two teams kicking a football about inside what appeared to be a big bowl of a stadium.

I have an inkling that we were playing Southampton, but being only 4 or 5 years of age I really cannot substantiate that memory.

It wasn't a regular occurrence but it set the seed and when I was old enough to walk to the ground on my own, in the early sixties, I became a season ticket holder and my Saturday afternoons were set in stone, because if the first team weren't playing then the reserves would be and entry was free to season ticket holders.

Standing in the Barn Park end was my usual position until I became a teenager and the Devonport End was for me. Much noise, much excitement and a totally different experience of the game.

When older again I moved to the Mayflower (lower) by the half way line, with a great atmosphere and camaraderie, but for the past twenty years I have been a stalwart in the Grandstand (upper) with its older but similar generation and with the same sort of camaraderie.

Such wonderful memories from all positions of the ground.

I have persuaded one of my grandsons (no 2) to join me for the past five years (also with season ticket) and another younger grandson (No 3) waiting in the wings for his parents to give their approval.

Current grandson no 2 has always supported Liverpool but only because his Dad does, although they are doing quite well at the moment and will be his first team until such time as I can persuade him otherwise, although he appears to quite like the live action that Home Park brings, and is always anxious to attend when he can.

Current grandson no3 is football mad, Argyle mad, and enjoys the Argyle Community football training sessions. He is 8 years of age and is in prime position to take over from Grandad when the time comes, although he has not yet attended Home Park, I have high hopes of him taking over the mantle.

For those that are wondering about Grandson no1, he hates sport of any kind, playing or watching, and I have given up all hope of ever enticing him to Home Park on a regular occurrence. He has experience of being there, but his mind was wandering and his powers of concentration were lacking, and I have given up all hope of persuading him to return.

Some you win, some you lose.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I moved to Plymouth in the summer of 1992 (aged 27) having never really lived anywhere where there was a proper team to watch and being a football mad kid in a completely non-football interested family (Bridgwater in Somerset, Oxford but only as a student at university, Bangor in North Wales). So Argyle became my team (schoolboy allegiance was to Liverpool). My arrival was just after relegation from the old Division 2 (just after Peter Shilton was appointed as manager). My first game was later in the 1992-93 season - Rotherham I think - and I’ve been to pretty much every home game since. I’ve seen 5 relegations and 5 promotions (Warnock, Sturrock 1, Sturrock 2, Adams, Lowe) so we’re pretty much back in exactly the same place we were when I started attending.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
My first season as a regular was the second half of the 64/65 season as a 9 year old. I remember some sizeable away followings in the early seasons as the likes of Wolves, Coventry, Man City and Southampton were promoted to the top tier. Three seasons later and I saw my first relegation to the 3rd tier where life began with a 2-2 home draw against Crewe newly promoted from the 4th division. A very good Torquay side were our main rivals then rather than Exeter with c.15,000 gates at Plainmoor for the derby. Sadly the yo yoing between the 2nd and 3rd tiers has become more of a yo yoing between the 3rd and 4th tiers these past 20 odd years. I truly hope the Halletts can guide us back to where we were when it all began for me.

My first game was the famous Argyle v Villa match in April 1960 which we won 3-0. I was 10 and had just moved down from Scotland with my family.I became a season ticket holder very quickly.Probably like Since I was 33 I am the son of a former employee at the Rosyth and Devonport dockyards.I am Dunfermline born and I was a Pars supporter before I moved down to Plymouth. I attended Devonport High School before moving back home in 1969. I have been an avid supporter of both teams since then and over the last 50 years I have travelled around both countries to watch them.
I now live near Ipswich and one of my greatest moments was seeing Stevie Crawford ( who used to attend the same primary school as me 30 years after me ) score a brilliant individual goal at Portman Road. How well he played that day. Thankfully I haven't had to choose between the teams as they haven't met in my lifetime but the Pars would have my vote ,I'm afraid ,if that unlikely event happened.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Some cracking stories.

It's hard to believe but until 24 years ago we had never been in the bottom tier (League Two), now we yo yo between tier 3 and 4.
Mind you, we've never been in the top tier!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Like Oldy I remember first going in 1964, was it Division 2 then??

I can't remember going before then, I might have can't remeber.

My earliest memory of Home Park is my Mum taking me to see Sheepdog Trials on the pitch!! Must have been late 50s. I remember sitting in the Grandstand. Does anyone else remember that?

I didn't know if it was the same day but I remember seeing a dead whale in a tent (opp the buses depot just to the right of the park entrance.) Penny to see the whale!! Roll up roll up! Gawd it did stink!! But as I was so little it looked so big! More like a Victorian sideshow. Wonder if the circus was in town?

Anyway back on topic! :oops:

My brother played on Saturdays so didn't go. Mum too disabled and disinterested. Dad worked so my prospect was taking myself up there.

Every year I asked Mum, then in 1964 she said: Well you're a teenager now (13 in July '64) so you can go. Any naughties and you won't go no more. So I started going, used to stand behind the home dugout. Probably Stuttard was manager but I only remember Allison which tells you all about the two managers!! and 'Big Fry' too!! :lol:

Anyway: Frank Lord; Williams: Piper: Jennings (No Darbishire): Barrie Jones: etc etc COYGs!!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":2yesu4rg said:
Like Oldy I remember first going in 1964, was it Division 2 then??

I can't remember going before then, I might have can't remeber.

My earliest memory of Home Park is my Mum taking me to see Sheepdog Trials on the pitch!! Must have been late 50s. I remember sitting in the Grandstand. Does anyone else remember that?

I didn't know if it was the same day but I remember seeing a dead whale in a tent (opp the buses depot just to the right of the park entrance.) Penny to see the whale!! Roll up roll up! Gawd it did stink!! But as I was so little it looked so big! More like a Victorian sideshow. Wonder if the circus was in town?

Anyway back on topic! :oops:

My brother played on Saturdays so didn't go. Mum too disabled and disinterested. Dad worked so my prospect was taking myself up there.

Every year I asked Mum, then in 1964 she said: Well you're a teenager now (13 in July '64) so you can go. Any naughties and you won't go no more. So I started going, used to stand behind the home dugout. Probably Stuttard was manager but I only remember Allison which tells you all about the two managers!! and 'Big Fry' too!! :lol:

Anyway: Frank Lord; Williams: Piper: Jennings (No Darbishire): Barrie Jones: etc etc COYGs!!

I remember seeing it parked up in Derrys Cross. My first experience of Argyle was in 1953 as a five year old though no real memories. As a Laira lad I used to watch all the football specials going through the narrows.

Oct 15, 2017
oldage":3682eydr said:

I started supporting Argyle in 1947 Division 3 south I believe? I've seen all the ups and downs,
It's not easy being green.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
FergfromStow":bf9csl02 said:
My first game was the famous Argyle v Villa match in April 1960 which we won 3-0. I was 10 and had just moved down from Scotland with my family.I became a season ticket holder very quickly.Probably like Since I was 33 I am the son of a former employee at the Rosyth and Devonport dockyards.I am Dunfermline born and I was a Pars supporter before I moved down to Plymouth. I attended Devonport High School before moving back home in 1969. I have been an avid supporter of both teams since then and over the last 50 years I have travelled around both countries to watch them.
I now live near Ipswich and one of my greatest moments was seeing Stevie Crawford ( who used to attend the same primary school as me 30 years after me ) score a brilliant individual goal at Portman Road. How well he played that day. Thankfully I haven't had to choose between the teams as they haven't met in my lifetime but the Pars would have my vote ,I'm afraid ,if that unlikely event happened.
I too was at that game, the end of my second full season. I have interviewed a number of players from that day. Whilst I always thought the best display ever by an Argyle side was a 3-0 FA Cup victory over West Ham in January 1960, Johnny Newman, Johnny Williams and Jim McAnearney each believed that the Aston Villa victory was the better one. And none of them knew what the other had said. They should know, I suppose!