• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Something new on GoS

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
I've waited up to post this at one minute past midnight! :yawn: ;)

The first Greens on Screen page was publish on 2nd January 1999, and to mark its 22nd birthday, there's a new feature: the details of one or more matches from PAFC's 127-year history, including the line-ups and a full match report, are shown each day on the home page. Matches have been played on 296 days of the calendar year and I've picked out 578 significant games across those days for the new Match of the Day feature.

And another improvement - most of the photos in Picture of the Day have been around for many years, so the whole set has been replaced, and with a larger display.

It's all explained at Greens on Screen

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Happy birthday GoS.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Happy birthday! :party:

22 years doesn't seem a lot but in internet terms it's an amazing achievement and GOS must have been one of the first football websites around back in the day and still going strong now.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Happy Birthday GOS Golden Oldie.

Tony Pastyman

♣️ Senior Greens
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 1, 2008
A massive Happy Birthday,
I am sure we all appreciate the hard work and commitment that you give to produce a 1st class site which includes all the facts and photos.
I look forward to celebrating your birthday each and every year.
:scarf:

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
Happy birthday GOS.
As an exile, and an old one at 66, I find GOS my ‘go to’ website so an invaluable site. There are so many links to items of information and details of matches, players, managers, etc that I consistently find new and interesting stuff all the time.
I can find almost everything I want on or from this site.
Well done and keep up this remarkable work.

COYGs.

Fawlty

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
fawlty":3r1m300i said:
Happy birthday GOS.
As an exile, and an old one at 66, I find GOS my ‘go to’ website so an invaluable site. There are so many links to items of information and details of matches, players, managers, etc that I consistently find new and interesting stuff all the time.

COYGs.

Fawlty

Agree with this as another exile.

Remember a couple of years back (?) there was a concern that the supporting IT software was obsolete. Has a solution been found to maintain this superb resource?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Simply the best PAFC site ever, no contest.

:clap:

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I am sure there is not another football club that has such a wonderful resource compiled with great diligence and devotion.

Around 10 years ago I had the privilege of speaking to David Conn the great football Guardian journalist who was about to write a piece on Argyle’s financial predicament at the time pre-administration. I pointed him in the direction of GoS and he rang back to say that it was the best football website he had ever seen. He couldn’t believe the detail it contained and that the club’s supporters were very lucky to have such a resource for reference.

That was 10 years ago - since then it it remains peerless due to the continued hard work of Steve and his team to continuously improve and update. We all remain in awe and forever grateful.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Graham Clark":mfjtj98l said:
I am sure there is not another football club that has such a wonderful resource compiled with great diligence and devotion.

Around 10 years ago I had the privilege of speaking to David Conn the great football Guardian journalist who was about to write a piece on Argyle’s financial predicament at the time pre-administration. I pointed him in the direction of GoS and he rang back to say that it was the best football website he had ever seen. He couldn’t believe the detail it contained and that the club’s supporters were very lucky to have such a resource for reference.

That was 10 years ago - since then it it remains peerless due to the continued hard work of Steve and his team to continuously improve and update. We all remain in awe and forever grateful.
So very true. I've visited most of the others over the past 10 years, mainly trying to find something new or different about former Argyle players in the period 57 to 64. Sunderland's perhaps comes close, as does LFC history, but they dont do the modern stuff as well... It is a truly remarkable piece of work

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Came in to say what the two above posts have... that I haven’t seen a better football club fan site.

Truly amazing :scarf:

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
cheshiregreen":6la8vd77 said:
fawlty":6la8vd77 said:
Happy birthday GOS.

COYGs.

Fawlty

Agree with this as another exile.

Remember a couple of years back (?) there was a concern that the supporting IT software was obsolete. Has a solution been found to maintain this superb resource?
First of all, thanks for all the kind comments - there's been much blushing going on here. On the question about the supporting software, it's something I've brought up many times now, although not so much the software as my age and priorities. The technology question was simply about how the internet and people's expectations have moved on. Modern websites, their impact on the eye and their ability to cope with a much bigger range of devices, have changed considerably. That's something that I don't have the skills to embrace, so in the absence of any successors, GoS is likely to stay 'old school'. From a technology perspective, that's probably possible for some while yet, i.e. the supporting software should live on for many years.

More significant is my age. I'll be 70 in a little more than a year and I started this journey when I was 46. That's a big chunk of life and as I've been warning for five or more years, personal priorities will inevitably change. That time must be much nearer now than it once was, but what it means in practical terms, I simply don't know. All I can say is that, before long, things will change. It's simply a matter of time, and I'll be as sad as some of you about that.

Then again, it's only a website! :think:

Sep 21, 2003
GreensOnScreen":a510pq91 said:
That time must be much nearer now than it once was, but what it means in practical terms, I simply don't know. All I can say is that, before long, things will change. It's simply a matter of time, and I'll be as sad as some of you about that.

Then again, it's only a website! :think:

I think all it means Steve, is that you should just bookmark this page so you can paste the above in to a similar reply in about 5 years time...... :nworthy: :scarf: