PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A welcome narrow 1-0 win.
The first half was all about playing our football through the thirds, pass and move and move Gillingham about.
The second half was completely different and a right battle. Cooper struggled with the high balls coming into the box, indeed the Gills missed two open goals after Cooper missed two crosses but credit to him for keeping a clean sheet.

Once again each half was chalk and cheese, however this time we didn't concede in the second half.

It was a good first half for us. Gillingham started the better team but once we withstood that early pressure we started to weave our patterns of play.
We were helped by Gillingham not pressing our centre-backs as Oxford and other teams have done which allowed our defence to pick out a pass into our midfielders.

Cooper had a few shaky moments early in the half.
It was noticeable that there was a new tactic where Camara was stood back on the half way line when we had won a corner which was presumably insurance against a counter-attack.

The goal came from a great run by Edwards from right to left with Grant providing a superb cross that was finished off by Tommy Jephcott on his weaker left foot. Another £50,000 added to his value. :)

Macleod picked up an injury as he often does and was replaced by Fornah.

Another first half win to add to the collection, can we find a rare second half win or even a draw?

Gillingham were the better team for the second period, they targeted the space behind our wing-backs which enabled them to pump crosses into our box. Cooper missed a couple and Gillingham really should have scored.
Gillingham did bring on Akinde early in the second half and his presence unsettled us.

Lowe responded by replacing Grant with Opoku although Gillingham still had more of the play.

We had a few opportunities but these were not clear cut, the football of the first half was replaced with a battle to stay in the game.
The back three held firm against the high balls coming into the box.

It's a fantastic win in the context that we stood up to a physical side and after the confidence sapping defeat against Oxford.
There will still be questions about why we cannot match our second half performances with that of the first half.

Jephcott's goal was once again the difference, what a year he has had.
Hardie did a lot of running for the team up front.

Camara had a quiet game by his standards.
Mayor's performance once again mirrored the team performance, a good first half and an average second half. He gave away a silly free kick late on the game that could have cost us.

Cooper will benefit from this experience, he probably hasn't come up against such an aerial bombardment like this before. His worst game of the season and yet he kept a clean sheet!

Edwards was all action and continued his recent good form.

Fornah was bizarrely on set-piece duty again and as against Oxford he wasted opportunities to deliver a good ball.

The football in the first half was some of the best we've played this season, helped by Gillingham allowing our centre-backs time on the ball.
We are a much better team when the opposition don't press us.
One day we will hammer someone 3 or 4 by half-time and relax for the second half. :)

Once again Semper Fidelis wasn't played as the players came out for the second half. Sacrilege and breaking a matchday tradition!

Man of the match - Edwards.

Cooper 4, Aimson 6, Canavan 7, Watts 7, Macleod 6, Edwards 8, Camara 6, Mayor 6, Grant 6, Jephcott 7, Hardie 6. Subs Fornah 5, Opoku 6, Telford n/a, Nouble n/a.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
That doesn't do a lot to diffuse the feeling that we're still in a relegation battle, but its a start at least.

Gillingham didn't press us at all in the first half, which allowed MacLeod, Mayor, Aimson and Watts time on the ball. As a result, this led to Mayor having a very good 45 minutes, albeit with some sloppy losses of possession too. Their 1 up front meant that we could play it around at the back with ease, but I think Watts and particularly Aimson could have done more with it when they had space to exploit. When they did press us once, we beat the press, Edwards charged forward, gave it Grant, cross, 1-0. It was a high risk strategy but it got us our reward. Great football.

The 2nd half saw them make a fairly early switch to 2 up front, and from that point onwards we couldn't deal with it. Our centre backs just aren't good enough on the ball to play through a high press, and neither is Fornah, although he did set Hardie away with a rare peach of a through ball. We brought Nouble on later on to try and hold it up, but he won absolutely nothing - a truly dreadful cameo.

Cooper had a mare. A number of hopeless flaps at crosses in for me was his worst performance of the season. He still definitely shouldn't be dropped, but he needs to improve on today's performance. What saves him from a really low mark is: a) his distribution was good, and b) that last "flap" in stoppage time, which I dont think was terrible keeping - he couldn't get there so he at least distracted the forward. If he stays on his line, it's 1-1.

Thankfully we've picked up 7 points from our last 4 games now, but that wasn't great at all. Charlton was a genuinely good performance - I don't think MK or today were. We've got away with it twice. At least we're picking our best back 3 now, which still isn't particularly great, but its the best we have for now, and they've now only conceded 6 goals in 6 games.

Cooper 4

Aimson 4
Canavan 7
Watts 6

MacLeod 6

Edwards 7
Camara 6
Mayor 6
Grant 6

Jephcott 8
Hardie 6

Subs: Fornah 5, Nouble 1, Telford 5, Opoku 6.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Very lucky.
Some very worrying individual performances.
Cooper was a liability on every cross and notably even the commentary team said that in an empty stadium he was more or less silent.
Watts was ok in the air in our box but was absolutely woeful at preventing crosses when Graham was given the ball up against him.
Nouble was so awful it was embarrassing and instead of reducing the amount of pressure on us, his 'performance' just led to them having the ball for far longer. Surely even Lolos offers more.
I would say the positives were Edwards and Grant for their forward play but then Gillingham got so much joy in the second half down the wide areas (particularly left side) that it wasn't a surprise to see Grant go off for the more defensive Opoku. Mayor was brilliant in patches but put us in real danger in injury time.
I disagree with a few on here because I thought Fornah was pretty decent when he came on... Didn't do anything more or less than McLeod had done before and certainly the danger didn't come down the middle.
Camara had one of his poorer games with a ten minute period where he did nothing right at all.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
We are so frustrating to watch at the moment.

We can play some really nice stuff but we give the ball away far too often. Sometimes that is credit to the opposition for pressing, but far too frequently it happens when there is little or no pressure.

Aug 8, 2013
We look pretty good when the opposition let us play,
which for some reason Gillingham did until we scored.
After that, the pressing started, and the same problems emerged.
The second half was as predictable as it was depressing and nerve-wracking.
As is usual recently, Hardie and Edwards performed well, and Jephcott
demonstrated his uncanny striking skill.
Connor Grant is the only player who can hit a decent cross.
I thought Canavan had a fine game, and Watts a torrid one.
For once, Lowe made a decent substitution by putting Opoku on;
it did reduce the flow of crosses coming in from the left.
And much though I hate to say it, Cooper looked horribly vulnerable
to crosses; let's hope it's temporary.
We'll probably go and stuff Huddersfield.

Mar 14, 2009
A win just masks how poor we were.

Second half was atrocious as soon as Evans changed it tactically.

We can only thank Gillingham players for poor finishing and inexplicably helping us to defend by clearing off the line for us.

Lowe did nothing once more. Just changed like for like. My only conclusion is that he is tactically lacking because why would you just do nothing when your team is being swamped by the opposition.

New players won’t solve this. Unfortunately, we will keep seeing the same thing because that’s what we see every game.

Someone has to be honest with Lowe and telling him his system doesn’t work. A proper honest and open discussion. All l imagine currently is people pandering to him telling him to stick what he believes in. Well if he sticks with this system with these crop of players then we will get relegated, or survive by the skin of our teeth due to the incompetence of other clubs.

I like Lowe. I don’t want him sacked. However, at the end of the season if we are currently still seeing the same problems and same issues as we do now then unfortunately he will have proven that currently Argyle aren’t learning.

Yes it’s a great 3 points. Yet in the grand scheme of things we haven’t seen anything different today to our worries and concerns we have been having over the past two/three months.

Very worried.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I can’t disagree that that was Cooper’s least convincing game this season. Ironic that he ended with a clean sheet.
I thought we were very negative with too many passes going backwards but the win is a great relief.
2 weeks to strengthen our defence although it seems a strange comment to make after a gutsy defensive performance today.

Sep 2, 2008
So thankful for the two defensive headers by the Gillingham players in our 6 yard box and for Gillingham not making the most of two Danny Mayor passes to their players in our final third. Also thankful that none of the crosses delivered by their #10, who was managing to work a bit of space to beat his marker at will, didn't get picked up by Gillingham players either. Jephcotts finish was sublime and I was impressed with Hardies intelligence when harrying the defenders. Edwards had his usual steady dependable game and thankfully wasn't replaced by the lack lustre Moore. MacLeod played at 75% and then went off injured....again. I'm thinking he will be injured for a while so we wont be seeing him anytime soon....which isn't a bad thing. He really is just nursing himself through games. Why Argyle keep taking a punt with injured players is beyond me. I appreciate that they may be cheap but if they end up hardly playing then surely it defeats the object. I guess he was another identified by the data/stat recruiting tool :shocked: (can probably include Reeves in this as well). Nouble did his usual which further confirmed for me that on the bench for a non league team is his standard. We rode our luck big time but the history books will show a 1-0 win for Argyle so I guess that's all that matters :crazy:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Gillingham and Argyle are complete polar opposites. This is the sort of side that we have tended to struggle against and did in League Two (Newport being a good example). However, a win and a clean sheet makes for a good start to the year, even if it was not comfortable. Given our current run and form, I will take a win regardless.

The first half was as comfortable as we've been all season, even if Cooper had a couple shaky moments from crosses. Gillingham created very little, although it was clear they're plan was to pump balls into the box. We deservedly took the lead with one of our best goals this season. Risky playing out from the back, a powerful run by the excellent Joe Edwards, a lovely cross from Grant and an exceptional finish from Jephcott.

After half time, I thought the first 10 minutes were bright. We had 2/3 good chances to get a second, Aimson's header being the best and we were wasteful. I then thought we kept the ball fairly well and thought we looked better than our usual second half displays. As if we'd tweaked that if we maintain possession, the opposition can't hurt us. Then from about the 60/65th minute, Jordan Graham consistently had the beating of Conor Grant and this dragged Gills into the game. From then on out it was backs to the wall. You could see the frustration in the dugout as Lowe was screaming for us to push up. We really are lacking a leader in the middle of the park to organise us, just as much as we miss a commanding presence at centre back. In the end, lucky to get over the line with a really good chance missed at the death. Overall, I'd still say we were just about value for our win on the balance of the full 90 minutes. With Gills only really in the game for 25/30 of them.

A lot of people stating Evans tactical changes made the difference. Not sure I agree. Gills plan from minute 1 was to pump balls into the box. In the first half, we had so much of the ball they couldn't do it. In the second half, we got sloppy and kept giving fouls away. This played straight into there hands. I'm not convinced that Gills actually attacking was a tactical masterstroke.

FA Cup next week, and for me, a good chance to give Michael Cooper a rest between the sticks. He had a difficult game today, against a team that highlight his biggest weakness. He is a good shot-stopper and an excellent distributor, but his command of the area needs improving and that will come with experience. He is lucky today that it did not cost us.

Other main observations from that:

- The drop off from MacLeod to Fornah is pretty vast. I like Fornah, but he is not physical enough. Camara also lacks physically and when you have both + Mayor, we are not dominant enough in midfield.

- Conor Grant still has a lot of work to do to nail down that LWB spot. He was very good first half, but was given a hard time in the second half. Again, something that will come with experience of playing there. But I'd still be considering bringing in a LWB to allow Grant to deputise for MacLeod.

- 1 defeat in our last 4. We have, it would appear, turned the corner (or at least started to) after a shambolic run of form. Maybe more so in results than performances. However, 5 of our next 7 games are away from home. It's vital we a) win at home v Crewe and Accrington, and b) pick up a couple positive results on the road, at least. Otherwise, we are going to continue to float around the bottom third of the table.

Ratings:

Cooper 5 - A real learning curve.
Edwards - 8
Aimson - 6
Canavan - 7
Watts - 6
Grant - 6
MacLeod - 7 (Fornah - 5)
Camara - 6
Mayor - 7
Hardie - 7
Jephcott - 7

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Fairly accurate from my perspective. I’m sure Steve Evans will be fuming at the gilt edged chances Gillingham spurned. Quite how young Cooper kept a clean sheet I’m not sure?

For an hour we looked so comfortable without scoring a second, Hardie does so much good work but looks shorn of confidence in front of goal Jephcott does very little but scores for fun.

A real curates egg again from Mayor some great work and some really poor stuff also but his best performance for a while I think, maybe something to build on. Camara a bit up and down but generally ok, Canavan Watts and Aimson ok Edwards and Fornah ok when he came on.

Overall a lucky 3 points but going forward we have to be able to counter teams just humping balls and crosses into the box at the moment it’s a painful watch once sides change tactics. One things for sure the word is out and the back four and Cooper can expect plenty of the same in the future.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Nobby":233bwhu8 said:
Gillingham and Argyle are complete polar opposites. This is the sort of side that we have tended to struggle against and did in League Two (Newport being a good example). However, a win and a clean sheet makes for a good start to the year, even if it was not comfortable. Given our current run and form, I will take a win regardless.

The first half was as comfortable as we've been all season, even if Cooper had a couple shaky moments from crosses. Gillingham created very little, although it was clear they're plan was to pump balls into the box. We deservedly took the lead with one of our best goals this season. Risky playing out from the back, a powerful run by the excellent Joe Edwards, a lovely cross from Grant and an exceptional finish from Jephcott.

After half time, I thought the first 10 minutes were bright. We had 2/3 good chances to get a second, Aimson's header being the best and we were wasteful. I then thought we kept the ball fairly well and thought we looked better than our usual second half displays. As if we'd tweaked that if we maintain possession, the opposition can't hurt us. Then from about the 60/65th minute, Jordan Graham consistently had the beating of Conor Grant and this dragged Gills into the game. From then on out it was backs to the wall. You could see the frustration in the dugout as Lowe was screaming for us to push up. We really are lacking a leader in the middle of the park to organise us, just as much as we miss a commanding presence at centre back. In the end, lucky to get over the line with a really good chance missed at the death. Overall, I'd still say we were just about value for our win on the balance of the full 90 minutes. With Gills only really in the game for 25/30 of them.

A lot of people stating Evans tactical changes made the difference. Not sure I agree. Gills plan from minute 1 was to pump balls into the box. In the first half, we had so much of the ball they couldn't do it. In the second half, we got sloppy and kept giving fouls away. This played straight into there hands. I'm not convinced that Gills actually attacking was a tactical masterstroke.

FA Cup next week, and for me, a good chance to give Michael Cooper a rest between the sticks. He had a difficult game today, against a team that highlight his biggest weakness. He is a good shot-stopper and an excellent distributor, but his command of the area needs improving and that will come with experience. He is lucky today that it did not cost us.

Other main observations from that:

- The drop off from MacLeod to Fornah is pretty vast. I like Fornah, but he is not physical enough. Camara also lacks physically and when you have both + Mayor, we are not dominant enough in midfield.

- Conor Grant still has a lot of work to do to nail down that LWB spot. He was very good first half, but was given a hard time in the second half. Again, something that will come with experience of playing there. But I'd still be considering bringing in a LWB to allow Grant to deputise for MacLeod.

- 1 defeat in our last 4. We have, it would appear, turned the corner (or at least started to) after a shambolic run of form. Maybe more so in results than performances. However, 5 of our next 7 games are away from home. It's vital we a) win at home v Crewe and Accrington, and b) pick up a couple positive results on the road, at least. Otherwise, we are going to continue to float around the bottom third of the table.

Ratings:

Cooper 5 - A real learning curve.
Edwards - 8
Aimson - 6
Canavan - 7
Watts - 6
Grant - 6
MacLeod - 7 (Fornah - 5)
Camara - 6
Mayor - 7
Hardie - 7
Jephcott - 7

Well put Nobby.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
A hard earned 3 points which is all that matters at the moment. Certainly can’t fault the effort and they continue to work for the Manager, which should be a given, but not always the case when things go against teams.

Also noticed after HT, point made by PL2 3DQ “Once again Semper Fidelis wasn't played as the players came out for the second half. Sacrilege and breaking a matchday tradition!” Couldn’t agree more - keep the faith.

Sep 6, 2006
Pottypilgrim":308ssu6m said:
So thankful for the two defensive headers by the Gillingham players in our 6 yard box and for Gillingham not making the most of two Danny Mayor passes to their players in our final third. Also thankful that none of the crosses delivered by their #10, who was managing to work a bit of space to beat his marker at will, didn't get picked up by Gillingham players either. Jephcotts finish was sublime and I was impressed with Hardies intelligence when harrying the defenders. Edwards had his usual steady dependable game and thankfully wasn't replaced by the lack lustre Moore. MacLeod played at 75% and then went off injured....again. I'm thinking he will be injured for a while so we wont be seeing him anytime soon....which isn't a bad thing. He really is just nursing himself through games. Why Argyle keep taking a punt with injured players is beyond me. I appreciate that they may be cheap but if they end up hardly playing then surely it defeats the object. I guess he was another identified by the data/stat recruiting tool :shocked: (can probably include Reeves in this as well). Nouble did his usual which further confirmed for me that on the bench for a non league team is his standard. We rode our luck big time but the history books will show a 1-0 win for Argyle so I guess that's all that matters :crazy:

You seriously think Macleod is not important to us? You are a poor judge

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Glad with the win, a brilliantly taken goal by Jephcott- the kid is the real deal.

Our defending from crosses however was really worrying and on another day we’d have lost that - we need to work on that as a matter of urgency.