Luke Jephcott

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
When can we start to really get excited about this guy?

He’s got something of a natural instinct and a lovely finish on him. His positional play is excellent. Something that is natural in his play which is special.

Now L1 joint top scorer.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
His build-up play and passing is pretty good too, which would get a scout excited on top of the goalscoring ability.

That finish was absolutely incredible. To get it right in the corner with power, with weaker foot on an awkward bounce at speed and on a bobbly pitch... not many players can do that.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He would be more involved in our build up play if more balls out of defence were played to his feet rather than in the air.
An example was today, when he cleverly laid off a pass to Edwards who shot across goal and just wide.
I also recall his flick to Edwards leading to the Hardie goal against MK Dons.
Don’t keep lumping it forward in the air when our main strikers will normally be beaten by tall, robust defenders. Come to that, our big ‘striker’, Nouble, doesn’t win high balls when he is there.

Oct 5, 2013
He's scored some good 'uns, but I thought yesterday's goal v Gillingham was his best so far, a lovely move made by Edwards' crossfield run feeding Grant, a super early cross right on the button, and what a finish, that was real class. The effort Jephcott put in to get to the right spot was amazing too, he sprinted 60-70 yards to get there. He's a class act and as Steve says, worth several million now if he was on the market.

Oct 31, 2015
Tugboat":69v123ji said:
When can we start to really get excited about this guy

Now L1 joint top scorer.

Now's the time mate. Different class at his age. Will we keep him in January? Not so sure but we need to enjoy him as the likes of him don't come along very often. Argyle fans are quick to dismiss good youngsters (Hourihane and Barnes are points to note).

If it wasn't for him we would be in the relegation zone.

Seems to be a nice bloke as well.

Let's get excited but keep it under our hats so we can keep him for a little while longer. We couldn't buy his replacement.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
If Luke Jephcott picks up an injury the worries begin....we have no other regular scorers in the team....and if someone comes in to buy him ...then we need big money just to buy replacements for him.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Princerock":111reask said:
If Luke Jephcott picks up an injury the worries begin....we have no other regular scorers in the team....and if someone comes in to buy him ...then we need big money just to buy replacements for him.

Said similar on the BS thread. Even if he keeps fit, there is possibly going to be a barren spell where Luke may lose his finishing touch. Has happened to many goalscorers over the years.

Always a load of debate about 20 goal a season striker, but, goals coming from a variety of sources is far better in my view.

Edwards and Grant have three a piece as next highest scorers.

Mar 8, 2016
If he leaves this month (I don’t think he will) then we will Definitely be playing league 2 football again next season.

Jan 6, 2004
From a purely selfish point of view, I am hopeful he is in a similar sweet spot to Tommy Tynan, a prolific scorer at this level but not fast paced enough to be poached by higher leagues.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Ashley Barnes type?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
12 goals from 17 appearances this season on top of how he finished last season is not a flash in the pan, it is almost a full calendar year of football. A goals per minute record better than anyone else in the division is mighty impressive and to read this morning that his 14 goals this season have come from just 19 shots is another impressive statistic. It begs the question how many would he score if he had the benefit of playing in Peterborough's or Pompey's front line and had a few penalties to boost his total as well? He has in comparison to some of the strikers in league 1 been feeding on scraps.
All in all mighty impressive for a player who some keep reminding us has no pace. The Crawley striker being touted at between 500k and 1 million in today's media is slightly older and has a very similar scoring record in a division lower so let's not underestimate Luke's market value.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Tugboat":304ftd1c said:
Ashley Barnes type?

No, Luke doesn’t spend half the match on his ass, gobbing off, like Barnes did when he was here.
You may guess, I wasn’t a fan.