Age and football interest | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Age and football interest

I've been reading the Football Passport thread with interest, both to learn more about the mix of supporters on here (my first Argyle match was in 1988) but also in context of some market research I've been doing. That seems to show that interest in football among those aged 18+ is like a bell-shaped curve, so those aged 18-24 and 60+ have lower interest, with those in mid-age having highest interest. Do people think that is a reflect of Argyle's support, and why/why not? Particularly on the lower age end of the scale. Without wanting to sound like an old git, I could only hypothesize that it was down to people having more options of things to do these days so football has to work harder to get attention vs. computer games, for example, or is it a financial factor? Argyle last season cost £9 if under 18 but £23 once you hit 18, so a big difference if on lower income.

Realise I'm rambling but it'd be interesting to know thoughts of others.

M

Jun 27, 2019
Does lower interest mean literally that? Or is it more an inability to go? I had to cut right down on going to Argyle when I reached that 18-24 age group because I went away to uni in London so it obviously wasn't as practical. Had I remained in Plymouth I would have kept my season ticket and my interest levels would have remained high - even allowing for the increase in price.

Not living in Plymouth now and being a dad and grassroots football coach, I only get to HP around 6-10 times a year (Covid notwithstanding). That doesn't mean my interest has waned, though. I'd go every week if I could.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
For me it has always been the cost of a game, the opponent isnt important for me personally.
I am of an age not described in your research but if I was able to afford either a season ticket or the occasional game I would attend.
When I was young I was able to pay £2.50 for a game and took three mates with me, then all of a sudden as I hit adult age the price was getting steep, and now we are looking at over £20 for a game.
A week back I was talking to a Forest supporter in my family and he attends non league games with me which costs us a fiver to watch, I began to argue that though the standard was far less than a professional game it was still football which in itself is a valid point, but then we totted up what it really costs to get to a random game at that level and it worked out up to £15 for a non league game (drinks food 50/50 etc) and then it dawned on me that I probably could do an Argyle game more often than not on that basis alone.
So my own research has lead me to decide that I will be at least a few times a season when all this COVID stuff is done with, will be making my way to games.

C

Cult Of Personality

I am starting to lose interest in football and argyle . I used to know who we was playing every weekend and now I have to look it up ...it just don't feel real at the moment

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Cult Of Personality":3ifwimyp said:
I am starting to lose interest in football and argyle . I used to know who we was playing every weekend and now I have to look it up ...it just don't feel real at the moment

I have similar feelings. The game has changed a lot and is not heading in a direction that is positive for fans, in my opinion.

Thanks folks. The university point is an interesting one I hadn't thought of. I had other things on my mind apart from football when I went (gigs, girls and graduating of course!) so football did have to fight harder for my attention than when I was living in Torpoint and life was all about school or sport.

M

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Hi Martin. Time (of day) and distance is also a big factor.

It's not a matter of not being interested...it's the first thing I do when I wake up on a Sunday morning...check Argyle. I won't watch the Saturday games live though - it's 4am on a Sunday morning kick off here.

Ottawa Green though is a different matter. He watches every game, which he can do because kick off in Canadia is what? 10am? 11am?

We're both "olds" as well! :lol:

I would dearly love to watch the games and, if I was back in the UK, I would.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
I think what's happened for me is that my football 'tastes' have become a bit (a lot?) more niche. Time was, I knew the First Division squads inside out and followed each and every transfer across the pyramid obsessively. These days, on the rare occasions I catch a bit of a Prem game there are players who are clearly household names that I've never heard of. I tend to follow whichever division Argyle are in fairly closely, and one of the few joys of lockdown has been being able to watch the Greens far more frequently than I would otherwise have been able to up here in Glasgow. But I go regularly to Scottish games, following Ayr United, and probably know more as a whole about the Scottish game than the English.

The other league I have a strong interest in is the Bundesliga. I got to see Union Berlin at the Forsterei a few years ago (when they were still in 2. Bundelsiga) and watching them improve and establish themselves as a top flight team has been an especial joy. There's also the Bundesliga culture which I find far more simpatico and fan orientated than the English approach.

Jan 4, 2016
As a teenager, living in Helston, I would spend hours getting to HP for home games and leave home on Friday evening for those away games I could afford. A career in the Merchant Navy and 'exile' and my interest waned - apart from the odd game eg FA cup SF and play offs. However (and this is my point) PASOTI and GoS has enabled me to rekindle that interest. The internet /social media has some benefit. Massive thank you to those people who maintain both sites :thumbup:

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
I've never actually lived in Plymouth so when I started going at around 10 and up to 16/17 it was always with my dad and usually whilst visiting family members. At uni I went to a few nearby away games (I was in Hull) but the "peak" of my active supporting was in my mid/late 20s when I had a bit of money, my own transport, plenty of free time and likeminded mates who I could drag along to matches. I'd also go to quite a few games in and around London as my bro lived there and we could make a weekend of it.
With my 30s came more personal commitments, longer work hours (and a spell overseas) which gave me less time and less inclination to go to matches unless they were nearby and the timing convenient. 40s were the same and with my dad passing away there was also less incentive to get to the occasional home game. Now in my 50s a general lack of energy is added to the mix!
I don't think I'd say that my "interest" has waned, though. I'm still as down when we lose and up when we win as I ever was and I listen to most games (and have watched most games on iFollow since Covid). What has changed is the amount of effort I put in to being a supporter and in particular this means physically attending very few matches during the course of a season these days.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I suspect Argyle and football in general might lose some fans actually attending games once the Covid nightmare is over mainly because the usual football routine has completely stopped and new routines found.

The habit and ritual of attending games could be over for some fans once we return to normal life.

Dec 30, 2020
Martin_Brock":357i2zw1 said:
I've been reading the Football Passport thread with interest, both to learn more about the mix of supporters on here (my first Argyle match was in 1988) but also in context of some market research I've been doing. That seems to show that interest in football among those aged 18+ is like a bell-shaped curve, so those aged 18-24 and 60+ have lower interest, with those in mid-age having highest interest. Do people think that is a reflect of Argyle's support, and why/why not? Particularly on the lower age end of the scale. Without wanting to sound like an old git, I could only hypothesize that it was down to people having more options of things to do these days so football has to work harder to get attention vs. computer games, for example, or is it a financial factor? Argyle last season cost £9 if under 18 but £23 once you hit 18, so a big difference if on lower income.

M

I think evidence shows that the number of kids playing football has declined over the past decade (even allowing for the fact that the number of girls playing has increased quite sharply).

There's obviously competition from social media, e-sports etc but kids these days are also subject to much greater academic pressure. They're tested a lot more, and good grades and some form of further/higher education are more important to their life chances. Today's young people also drink, smoke and take drugs less frequently than those now in their 30s and 40s did at the same age. Free time and recreation are more limited, which means there's less opportunity to take up pastimes like playing/watching football.

In terms of the old folks, football attendances troughed in the 70s and 80s, before rising after Italia 90 and the advent of the Premier League brought in a more affluent fan-consumer.

So rather than a result of life circumstances, it maybe that the oldest and youngest generations simply aren't as into football as those in the middle, and that this will continue as they shift from one stage of life to the next.

I seem to be at odds with most older posters. Since I retired I’ve moved from keen support to near obsessive. I’m even more grumpy nowadays when we lose, and ridiculously high when we win. The Wembley debacle took me nearly two weeks to get over. No lack of other interests, in fact there’s not enough time in my life, so I can’t understand why Argyle is even deeper under my skin, but there you go.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
When I were a young un, I used to get afe a crown pocket money. That were enough to get six pints of bitter, packet of Capstan full strength, entry into t'match, programme, fish and chip supper, copy of green 'un and still have money left for bus fare home.

Tell that t' supporters these days, they just won’t believe yer.

Sep 6, 2006
greenpilled":2ptj2v8a said:
Martin_Brock":2ptj2v8a said:

M

I think evidence shows that the number of kids playing football has declined over the past decade (even allowing for the fact that the number of girls playing has increased quite sharply).

There's obviously competition from social media, e-sports etc but kids these days are also subject to much greater academic pressure. They're tested a lot more, and good grades and some form of further/higher education are more important to their life chances. Today's young people also drink, smoke and take drugs less frequently than those now in their 30s and 40s did at the same age. Free time and recreation are more limited, which means there's less opportunity to take up pastimes like playing/watching football.

In terms of the old folks, football attendances troughed in the 70s and 80s, before rising after Italia 90 and the advent of the Premier League brought in a more affluent fan-consumer.

So rather than a result of life circumstances, it maybe that the oldest and youngest generations simply aren't as into football as those in the middle, and that this will continue as they shift from one stage of life to the next.

Think you made a lot of that up didnt you?