Sky Sports News Football Show. (Jephcott) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sky Sports News Football Show. (Jephcott)

Feb 27, 2010
Yesterday on Skys football show, guests Darren Bent and Dean Ashton were asked which players in the EFL were likely to be targets of the Premier League , their top pick of the strikers was Luke Jephcott ! They really praised his all round movement and eye for a goal and said big clubs would be monitoring him.Dean Aston especially was very effusive about him, talked him up big time and said he must be going to a big club !

Jul 14, 2008
I think Jephcott is likely to make us a lot of money this summer but I wouldn’t pay too much attention to this sort of analysis, it’s just lazy tv coverage really. I doubt Dean Ashton has been paying £10 to watch Argyle on iFollow so he might have just seen a handful of his goals on SSN and looked at the table of top league 1 goalscorers.

Im sure they are right that big clubs will be monitoring him though.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
All this speculation about LJ satisfies TV sports media and journalists, but personally, I am fearful of how he is possibly to be replaced should he be sold for mega bucks. Currently he is Argyle's one trick scoring pony and none of the other Argyle strikers that are available are hardly pulling up trees. It would be fantastic if for the likes of Lolos to come back from his loan arrangement as a newly developed successful striker, but current Covid protocols are not going to help that dream. Unfortunately, successful strikers at Argyle's level do not grow on trees.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Quintrell_Green":2mfyt5rz said:
All this speculation about LJ satisfies TV sports media and journalists, but personally, I am fearful of how he is possibly to be replaced should he be sold for mega bucks. Currently he is Argyle's one trick scoring pony and none of the other Argyle strikers that are available are hardly pulling up trees. It would be fantastic if for the likes of Lolos to come back from his loan arrangement as a newly developed successful striker, but current Covid protocols are not going to help that dream. Unfortunately, successful strikers at Argyle's level do not grow on trees.

Exactly how I see it too.
I guess if we have to sell him in the January window, the best case scenario would be that he could be loaned back to us until the end of the season.

Jun 27, 2019
Just a reminder that Argyle have scored more goals without Jephcott in the team than they have with him so far this season.

That isn't to suggest I want him sold, or that I think that pattern will continue, but I think others would step up as they did against Wimbledon, QPR, Portsmouth etc. It won't be all doom and gloom if he was sold.

I also think the club is in a much stronger position than it has been in the past. I don't mean financially, but in leadership terms. I strongly doubt Simon Hallett, Dewsnip, Lowe etc will let our prized asset leave for 'Plymouth prices'.

Aug 5, 2016
He is top scorer in League One aged 20, and it is January. Argyle are seen as a small club and some of our own fans came up with the estimation of £450,000 value of Jephcott only two weeks ago.

Add those things together and the national media are excited that Jephcott is going to be on the move. But I am sure Ryan Lowe and Simon Hallett will have their own thoughts about that.

When is the last time a striker came out of Argyle's academy and into the first team firing in goals with the best of them? What we are witnessing is incredibly rare for any club.

Jun 27, 2019
Knibbsworth":1h4xd2id said:
He is top scorer in League One aged 20, and it is January. Argyle are seen as a small club and some of our own fans came up with the estimation of £450,000 value of Jephcott only two weeks ago.

Add those things together and the national media are excited that Jephcott is going to be on the move. But I am sure Ryan Lowe and Simon Hallett will have their own thoughts about that.

When is the last time a striker came out of Argyle's academy and into the first team firing in goals with the best of them? What we are witnessing is incredibly rare for any club.

You'd probably have to go all the way back to Mickey Evans, who made his debut more than 30 years ago (that makes me feel old!).

When we eventually sold him to Premier League Southampton for £650,000, he had scored 12 goals by February in the same league we're in now. The English transfer record at the time was £15m for Alan Shearer, so Trigger went for 4.3% of that. Linking that to today's English record of £89m for Paul Pogba, that would mean Jephcott's unscientific fee calculation would be £3.8m - weirdly that's almost exactly what RL quoted in an interview last week.

We need to enjoy this kid while we've got him because history shows he'll only wear a green shirt for a short time and we'll have to watch the rest of his career on TV.

Aug 5, 2016
WoodsyGreen":k5rpcbmz said:
We need to enjoy this kid while we've got him because history shows he'll only wear a green shirt for a short time and we'll have to watch the rest of his career on TV.

Well in Trigger's case he went away, kept Southampton up, unsuccessfully moved around a few clubs, then came back to Argyle and delivered two promotions. So if Jephcott does leave it may not necessarily be the end of him.

Oct 31, 2015
WoodsyGreen":2p2xmg9z said:
Just a reminder that Argyle have scored more goals without Jephcott in the team than they have with him so far this season.

That isn't to suggest I want him sold, or that I think that pattern will continue, but I think others would step up as they did against Wimbledon, QPR, Portsmouth etc. It won't be all doom and gloom if he was sold.

I also think the club is in a much stronger position than it has been in the past. I don't mean financially, but in leadership terms. I strongly doubt Simon Hallett, Dewsnip, Lowe etc will let our prized asset leave for 'Plymouth prices'.

Ah stats don't you love them :funny:

Also Jeffers goals have earnt us was it 9 points? We would be in the bottom 4 without him. :facepalm:

Jun 27, 2019
rsp4":37cvcs5c said:
WoodsyGreen":37cvcs5c said:

Also Jeffers goals have earnt us was it 9 points? We would be in the bottom 4 without him. :facepalm:

Luke is an important player, obviously, but we scored 4 against Wimbledon, 3 against QPR and 2 against Portsmouth (among other goals) when he wasn't available.

When he's in the side he's obviously putting away the majority of our chances, but when he isn't other players are getting on the end of those chances.

To say we would be in the bottom four without him is hearsay that isn't supported by the facts.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
£5M (IN THE SUMMER!)
PLUS ADD ONS

NO LESS!!

qeLt0Og.gif

Site Admin

Aug 5, 2016
WoodsyGreen":1un1610y said:
To say we would be in the bottom four without him is hearsay that isn't supported by the facts.

Well the fact that Jephcott is the division's top scorer is quite an important one.

Are you saying if we sell/drop Jephcott, all the other players will chip in and score his goals instead?

Jephcott has 12 goals and the closest others have 3, so I'd say that is quite ambitious.

Aug 4, 2011
Not just his goals, but his work rate and ability to win free kicks (relieving the pressure on the defence) is hugely missed when he’s absent - same as when Trigger was here.

I think a few of us were clamouring for the Jephcott / Hardie partnership 5 games ago. They’ve had a run together and although Hardie hasn’t scored they play so well together.

I was a big fan of Telford when he joined us but the gulf in class, effort, desire between Hardie / Jephcott and Nouble / Telford is huge.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
WoodsyGreen":3ron73fl said:
rsp4":3ron73fl said:
WoodsyGreen":3ron73fl said:

Luke is an important player, obviously, but we scored 4 against Wimbledon, 3 against QPR and 2 against Portsmouth (among other goals) when he wasn't available.

When he's in the side he's obviously putting away the majority of our chances, but when he isn't other players are getting on the end of those chances.

I wouldn't want to rely on that for the rest of the season to be honest!

Jun 27, 2019
Knibbsworth":19ccmak1 said:
WoodsyGreen":19ccmak1 said:

Well the fact that Jephcott is the division's top scorer is quite an important one.

Are you saying if we sell/drop Jephcott, all the other players will chip in and score his goals instead?

Jephcott has 12 goals and the closest others have 3, so I'd say that is quite ambitious.

As Emu says, I wouldn't want to rely on that happening. I couldn't imagine Hardie, for instance, suddenly banging them in.

It is a fact though that we've scored more goals per game without Luke than we've scored with him. I find that as hard to believe as everyone else, but the reality is that other players have stepped up when Luke has been unavailable.

Whether that pattern would continue long-term is open to conjecture and I hope we don't have to find out any time soon.