Memories of the Football Combination | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Memories of the Football Combination

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
One of the results of lockdown is often finding things to fill the spare time that would otherwise have been devoted to the minutiae of ‘normal life’. Some have used lockdown to learn new skills or catch up with longstanding ‘to do’ lists. Having decorated my home to within an inch of its life, I have found that more and more of my ‘extra’ time is now being devoted to trips down memory lane. Whilst recently looking through stored boxes of, well… ‘stuff’, I came across a treasure trove of old Argyle Football Combination team sheets.

My infatuation with my football team spanning over half a century was by no means confined to first team matches. As a kid I also persuaded my father to take me to Reserve team fixtures. Normally these alternated with the first team games. If Argyle were away on a Saturday then that would be the time the Reserves would be playing at Home Park.

In those days Argyle were members of the Football Combination. This was a league for the reserve teams of clubs based in the south. Naturally, there was a heavy London bias, with teams from Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, QPR and others. The reserve teams would be a mix of up-and-coming youngsters - who were total unknowns - as well as established first team players. Of course, the rise and fall of a footballer’s career could sometimes be predicted by exactly when he started to regularly appear in reserve team games. The exciting new prospect would definitely be considered to be ‘on the way up’ whereas the old battle-hardened household name may well be moving in the opposite direction. To be fair, the latter may just have been temporarily out of favour or tentatively testing their fitness following a long-term injury. Occasionally there would be a superstar name in the top-flight reserve teams visiting Home Park, and that would trigger the saliva glands no end.

I rarely missed a Reserves fixture in the 70s and I kept many of the flimsy team sheets that were obtained from a solitary programme seller, for the princely sum of 2 pence. Looking back over them now triggers a wealth of nostalgia and recollections of having seen some serious footballing names in the flesh.

Fixtures with West Ham over the years threw up such names as Alan Curbishley, Bobby Gould, Billy Bonds and Frank Lampard (Senior, of course!) Arsenal were always good for the odd ‘name’ or two. David O’Leary, Frank Stapleton, Bob Wilson and Alan Hudson were all privileged to have graced the, more often than not, quagmire of Home Park over the years. In November 1970 their reserve line-up included Peter Marinello and Charlie George in the same team; a hefty transfer tally on show that afternoon! Spurs were always a big draw and the regular 100 or so Argyle fans for most Combination games could guarantee to be swelled when Tottenham came to town. The legendary ‘Jimmy Greaves Match’ that boasted an attendance of around 12,000 was before my time, but there was still a healthy interest in their subsequent line-ups. They included Gerry Armstrong, Ralph Coates and Martin Chivers – oh, and let’s not forget a certain Joe Kinnear.

On the subject of Marmite managers, a Bristol Rovers reserve team in 1974 featured Tony Pulis, whilst a later one included Ian Holloway. I would also have seen Dario Gradi turn out for Chelsea Reserves, although to me he was just another unknown then. Other players I watched take on the young kids and veterans of Argyle Reserves included Clive Allen (Crystal Palace), Harry Redknapp (Norwich), Gary Sprake (Birmingham) and Kevin Beattie (Ipswich). Another Ipswich Reserves player that I must have seen was referred to on the team sheet as ‘Steven McCall’ – very posh! :lol:

Of course, it wasn’t the opposition that lured me out to a virtually deserted Home Park on (often) cold, wet or windy Saturday afternoons - or even colder Tuesday evenings in January. I went to watch Argyle – and it made no difference to me whether it was the first team (‘the Chiefs’) or the Reserves. This was my team. There was a difference, of course, with stakes – and attendances - being far higher in Football League matches. However, with the pressure being dialed down a little, watching the Reserves was often just as rewarding. It afforded an opportunity to actually enjoy a game of football without biting your nails down to the quick.

‘Talent spotting’ was another fringe benefit. Which of the Argyle youngsters was going to ‘make it’? And, if they did, how satisfying that you were able to smugly say, ‘Well, actually, I watched his progress in the Reserves and I never doubted he would make it…’ After many accumulated uncomfortable hours at Home Park with a handful of fellow embattled enthusiasts it was a special moment when ‘one of our own’ made it into the first team. With chest proudly stuck out at his Football League home debut I could announce to anyone within earshot about how good ‘my’ player had been before anyone else got to see him.

There were the George Fosters and the Mike Trussons that broke through the ranks from time to time and, of course, I took the credit for those, :lol: but my crowning glory was at the beginning of the 1973/74 season. We had just signed a rangy centre forward from a non-league side in Lancashire and he turned out for the Reserves in the first home match of that season’s Combination League. Well, Stevie Wonder could have seen the potential of this guy. His all round play and goal-scoring prowess was making the Reserves a far more entertaining afternoon out than the Chiefs. Something quite magical and special was happening in front of our very eyes and we were privileged to literally have a Grandstand view.

Thankfully, it was not only the few of us who turned up to see the Reserves who were convinced that we had unearthed ‘the real deal’. Tony Waiters was clearly of a similar mind and Paul Mariner – along with two other of ‘our’ youngsters, Brian Johnson and Alan Rogers – was ‘blooded’ in a 5-0 thrashing of Rochdale on the 9th of November 1973. No Argyle fan there that night could have failed to be impressed by all three debutants, but there was an extra special bounce in the step of all regular attendees of the Combination League matches. Those players ‘belonged’ to us - and always would. Happy days. :scarf:

Any other Football Combination fans out there?

Dec 21, 2010
Used to love them as a kid. You could hear the players swearing and the wags in the small crowd (often about 2 to 3 thousand) shouting out. Apart from Jimmy Greaves playing his first Spurs game after his transfer from Italy, I too remember Paul Mariner's last game for the reserves when the whole crowd seemed to be calling for his debut. Heady days !

Jan 2, 2019
Used to love reserve games. Remember Neil Hards scoring against QPR. Peter Hucker coached my lad many years later but still remembered the game.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
WoodfordWall":zlbpe393 said:
Used to love reserve games. Remember Neil Hards scoring against QPR. Peter Hucker coached my lad many years later but still remembered the game.

I was only just thinking about that Neil Hards goal!
I used to go to some of the reserve games as a small kid. Must have been about 1981?

Always remember the hut between the Grandstand and Barn Park end would display the latest first team score in the window with some big cardboard numbers.

Aug 12, 2016
Bang Phra. Thailand
I remember going to many reserve games as a kid in the 1960s. And during that time we were usually near the top of the table each year. I always watched from the Grandstand because, if I remember correctly if you paid to enter , the whole ground (including the Grandstand) was open to you.
I also believe in one game George Foster scored five goals, but can't recall exactly who the opponents were. Bristol Rovers maybe?

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
My father took me to the Jimmy Greaves game and approaching Home Park we encountered massive traffic congestion , never seen at reserve games before. To this day I am astounded that the attendance was only recorded at 12000.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Hey Mark 58

Great post but think the 5-0 Rochdale game was earlier than November. We had a stuttering start snd think l the legend Tony Waiters introduces them after perhaps 5 games of the season .

Great OP. It’s reminded me that one of down sides of modern football for us spectators is that top flight players can retire without dropping to lower leagues to continue earning a wage. They may have lost their pace, but still had outstanding skills. I remember watching an incredibly old Dave Mackay as player manager of Swindon, well into his forties. He never moved outside the centre circle all game, yet sprayed some amazing passes around, whilst organising and encouraging them minute by minute.

Nov 11, 2020
I recall the scoreboard showing the first teams score, particularly the 7-3 win at Bournemouth. 5-0 up they pulled back to 5-3, before we added two more. Thought the guy in charge of updating was drunk ! Takes some believing with the modern day instant updates.

Nov 11, 2020
As an autograph hunter it was great. Teams would often bring some named players. Argyle had some regular reserves that never pushed on Keith Sullivan brother of Colin springs to mind, Mark Nickeas another. Good times.

Sep 6, 2006
Emu":24n492ra said:
WoodfordWall":24n492ra said:

I used to go to some of the reserve games as a small kid. Must have been about 1981?

Always remember the hut between the Grandstand and Barn Park end would display the latest first team score in the window with some big cardboard numbers.

Some of us :oops: used to go partly as the only way to keep up to date with the away scores in those days was keeping an eye on that window! Used to spend almost as much time looking at the window! So often in 74/5 it was the second board that moved to 1 or 2. (Or SEVEN at Bournemouth) followed by a cheer trickling around the terraces.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Balham_Green":drfi9oh9 said:
Emu":drfi9oh9 said:
WoodfordWall":drfi9oh9 said:

Some of us :oops: used to go partly as the only way to keep up to date with the away scores in those days was keeping an eye on that window! Used to spend almost as much time looking at the window! So often in 74/5 it was the second board that moved to 1 or 2. (Or SEVEN at Bournemouth) followed by a cheer trickling around the terraces.

It was the very cutting edge of technology, BG :lol: Even then I couldn't be sure whether the guy behind the score numbers was showing it as 'home' on the left or Argyle first! The one that comes to mind the most was away at Palace. We went one down and equalised, then 2-1 down and equalised, then 3-2 down before eventually getting a point at 3-3. Heady days... :scarf:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
cheshiregreen":3uz7k3qt said:
Hey Mark 58

Great post but think the 5-0 Rochdale game was earlier than November. We had a stuttering start snd think l the legend Tony Waiters introduces them after perhaps 5 games of the season .

You are spot on, CG! :thumbs:

Profuse apologies - it was actually the 9th of September 1973, rather than the 9th of November. I stupidly mixed up my 'Nine Elevens' :coat:

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Sparkypete":1koc69t2 said:
As an autograph hunter it was great. Teams would often bring some named players. Argyle had some regular reserves that never pushed on Keith Sullivan brother of Colin springs to mind, Mark Nickeas another. Good times.

I went to school in Saltash with Keith. Lovely guy.

Unless my memory fails me totally, I am sure I saw him score a howitzer of a shot from distance against Arsenal Reserves - with Bob Wilson in goal!

His brother, Phil, was also on Argyle's books at the time but it was only Colin who went on to make a living from the game.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
It was good for the players too. Before substitutes were allowed it meant that if a player wasnt in his club's first team, then he played for the reserves. It tested our players , because as someone has already said, there were often big names on show. One former Argyle player, who never got in the first team, told me that although that was a disappointment he did at least get to play at Highbury, WHL, Upton Park and Stamford Bridge. He also said that Ipswich was the best playing surface. Something to do with Fisons being based there perhaps.