• Total voters

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Your thoughts, praise or criticism and marks out of 10 for today's referee Lee Mason.
Also, your thoughts on VAR which has been used today for the first time ever in an Argyle game.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Best I've seen this season. 7/10 for me.

Hardly noticed him. :clap:

Dec 3, 2005
VAR got the penalty shout wrong IMHO

Mason got a couple 'play on' chances wrong, when he stopped the play.

But a fairly easy game to Ref
The offside rule or how it is interperated is wrong, stick the damn flag up straight away, players could be injured when the play is allowed to carry on and injured for no reason.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
A bit too quick to blow the whistle when an advantage was a better option, but apart from that he seemed pretty good.

Mar 20, 2008
Didn’t they change the handball guidance to say the T-shirt line wasn’t handball - I think that might be the green zone referred to on the Tv

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
On one of the stills it looked like the ball hit under his arm, then shortly after they went with no pen. But from the others it looked clear cut a penalty.

Dec 29, 2016
Thought he did ok, easy game to ref. Although the advantage rule didn't seem in his thoughts. Danny got a bit upset with him at one stage. And the offside??
I assumed as soon as the player who is offside touches the ball the flag should go up. Perhaps I'm wrong

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Lyndhurst Lip":3njly7uq said:
Thought he did ok, easy game to ref. Although the advantage rule didn't seem in his thoughts. Danny got a bit upset with him at one stage. And the offside??
I assumed as soon as the player who is offside touches the ball the flag should go up. Perhaps I'm wrong
I think that's a VAR thing - they allow to phase of play to continue to see what happens - then if it turns out it was onside, they can carry on from the end of the phase.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
Lyndhurst Lip":9rcokdyf said:

The guideline is to wait until the passage of play ends. That way if it then turns out he was onside and goes through and scores, that opportunity isn't denied.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Lyndhurst Lip":31njrcuo said:

In League One the flag goes up immediately but when VAR is in operation the assistants are encouraged to wait in case the outcome is a goal and then the video assistant can decide. Not a practice I fully approve of but that is how it is.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Lee Mason is one of our best refs in the country. Didn't put a foot wrong today. Some are saying he could have played the advantage rule at times but awarding a free kick instead of playing advantage isn't a wrong decision.

On VAR and the penalty shout, with the hand in an unnatural position it would have been a clear penalty...... had the ball hit the hand or arm. Jarred Gillett was clearly heard saying that the ball hit him in the green zone, ie the upper arm above the "T-shirt" line.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I don’t think many people are saying that the ref was wrong to award free kicks instead of playing the advantage, but I think that it would have been a bit better practice to give it a few seconds to see if the advantage develops.

Oct 31, 2015
castlegreen":3pi5abgj said:
Didn’t they change the handball guidance to say the T-shirt line wasn’t handball - I think that might be the green zone referred to on the Tv

Yep it changed earlier in the season after all the rediculous pens given.

Ref was good, hardly noticed him 7 or8 for me

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Excellent performance from an excellent ref. Doesnt want to be noticed, controls the game well without getting involved or fussy.

My issue with the offside rule was actually mentioned by the co-commentator today, why when a player is 5 yards offside, do we have to wait for them to "finish the passage of play" before flagging. One day very soon a goalkeeper or centre forward are going to fully commit to a big physical collision, someone will break a leg, miss a year of playing or worse, all for something that was offside and irrelevant. Whoever came up with this change wants certifying.