Brief Synopsis | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis

Aug 24, 2009
Oue set up was correct, I just got the impression we were about containg Sheffield as oposed to taking them on, when we did in the last 25 minutes they were on the back foot. You often see this when teams are the underdogs, Sheffield were there for the taking. Onward and upward, the game would have given the squad great confidence. I thought Opoku was our MOM, he handled there strikers really well. Reeves also played really well in his cameo, he got us moving forward much quicker and deserves a start. Very interesting team selection for our next game.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Apart from possibly paying them too much respect early on, I was worried by theoverloads in the first half down our right hand side. Edwards was often exposed and was pulled into areas which gave space for oncoming Blades players. Both Fornah and Camera seemed guilty of not supporting Edwards.
We were best at playing sideways and backwards throughout the game, and only Camera had a go and beating the player in front of him. I was hoping Mayor would show us all what he could do, but mostly he was absent.
Opoku played well, particularly early on and Reeves pushed us further up the pitch when he came on. Cooper also had a pretty good game.
Camera´s first half miss may have told a different story, but to be fair, the Blades missed very good chances too.
Focus on the league and win on Tuesday (please).

Mar 14, 2009
I thought Cooper did well today.

Made some really good saves. When you compare him to Ramsdale’s performance, who looked shaky and l thought conceded a saveable shot, l think you can only say he looked more competent and assured.

Camara stood out with one or two loverly runs. I continue to think Mayor’s wasted as a CM. Such a shame not to see his talent more higher up the park. I think it’s a huge issue in our team along with finding a commanding CB and a CDM who can link up the defence and attack.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The first half was all SU and I felt we sat back too much but that could be due to the gulf between the PL and League One, although granted SU are a poor PL team.

We had some promising situations but opted to go backwards,
it's as though every attack has to be started by Cooper. We had two or three throw-ins in the SU half but the ball ended up with Cooper.
The chance for Camara was a golden one and harder to miss than score and it followed a fantastic move that wouldn't look out of place in the PL.

We started badly in the second half and conceded an early second goal.
We were now able to throw caution to the wind and with Reeves orchestrating us we got a late goal through Camara who took the ball off Telford's foot.
Moore had a very late chance but shot over the bar.

It says a lot that SU were time wasting in the end, to the glee of the supposedly impartial BBC co-commentator.

Well played and nearly £200,000 in the bank from the cup run.

Cooper, Camara, Reeves and Opoku all had good games.
Cooper's handling and saves were excellent and would be noticed on the bigger stage.

Fornah struggled with too many passes going backwards and not aware of runners around him.
Reeves made a big difference in the same role but can he be trusted to be defensive enough in League One.
Fornah, Grant, Macleod and now Reeves have all had a go at CDM, who is the best?

Man of the Match - Cooper.

Cooper 8, Aimson 6, Opoku 7, Watts 6, Fornah 5, Edwards 6, Camara 7, Mayor 7, Grant 7, Jephcott 6, Hardie 5. Subs - Moore 7, Telford 6, Reeves 8, Nouble n/a.

D

Darren Stoneman

For me the back three are really starting to gel and forming a great partnership with the impressive Cooper, who I thought outshone Ramsdale massively .

We were always going to be on the back foot, however there were some leading lights

Opuku body on the line with amazing tackles
Camara energy, Skill , passion wow
Mayor classy on the ball and making space and picks a pass
Grant total player and total performer blossoming to be a fine fine player
Edwards steady and reliable so under rated
Reeves bought stability and drive

I was not aware of the 2 leagues difference watching the games we should rightly be proud of the boys who did our city proud

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Other than minutes 0-10 and 45-70, where we created nothing and struggled to contain SU, I thought we played very well.

SU tried to target our right side on numerous occasions during the first half, with Edwards consistently losing out to Stevens and Aimson being left with an overload. This is how their goal came about - an excellent patient move, good cross and header, although I feel Grant maybe got drawn a little too centrally leaving their guy in space. They also should have had a penalty when Watts almost caught Ampadu's shot - incredible how the VAR guy got that wrong. Absolutely astounding - as obvious a penalty as you'll ever see.

I mentioned earlier about how it would be interesting if each back 3 could play around 2 pressing forwards. As it happened, we didn't really press their defenders (understandable), choosing to cut off supply to the midfield instead. SU played a number of good long balls to counter this. Meanwhile, despite SU committing a number of players high up to press, our back 3 and Cooper passed it around very well, with Mayor dropping in to contribute too. It led to the best chance we had all game, which Camara skewed badly wide.

SU upped their game in the 2nd half, and a superb second goal came thanks to a great through-ball. I wondered if Aimson or Opoku could have tucked in and cut the pass off, but I think that's asking too much - it was just a very good goal. It looked to be game over at that point, and I wasn't disappointed to see Jephcott come off at the time - it felt like the right decision with a clutch of league games coming up.

As it happened, we got right back into it thanks to some really sloppy SU defending. However, it was good persistence by Moore and a good cross to a choice of green shirts. Goalkeeping error too - not a bad hit from Camara but he should save that.

In the end, maybe we could have snatched a draw to take it to extra time, but on the balance of play, as you'd expect against a PL side, it would have been undeserved. Still, we can take a lot of heart from this performance.

Cooper 7 - two horrible left-footed shanks out of play aside, he did well. Blameless for either goal, distribution mostly excellent, and made a number of good saves.

Aimson 6 - can't be blamed too much for the barrage of attacks in the first half. A point off in the second half for charging out of defence with the ball (well), then playing a terrible ball into the striker that was easily cut out and nearly cost us on the counter, leaving Sharp one on one with Opoku.

Opoku 8 - the odd error aside, an excellent game again. Several great blocks and a good proportion of headers won. Good on the ball too.

Watts 6 - should have given away a penalty - pure fluke that he didn't (thank you Mr VAR man). Aside from that and a rather silly yellow card late on, he did well.

Fornah 5 - oh dear, the Fornah of pre-December returns. Ok on the ball, but his defensive positioning disappeared again. A number of SU chances came from a late runner or a striker peeling to the edge of the area - exactly where our defensive midfielder should be. He wasn't anywhere near where he should be.

Edwards 6 - Poor first half where he continuously let SU in behind him. Much better defensively in the 2nd. Not much opportunity for him to contribute going forward.

Camara 6 - tin hat on. Not quite getting the massively high ratings for him. Ok, he scored, but it was more down to goalkeeping error than a great finish. Had Ramsdale saved that as he should have done, that's PC having squandered both of the best chances we had in the game. Also, his passing, whilst not as bad as Sarcevic, still doesn't massively convince me. It's not terrible, but in a full-on passing team, is it good enough to play in centre-mid? He's a decent player for us and would be an excellent player in a system suited to him, but I'm not as convinced by him as many others. What saves him from a poor mark is his pressing, which as always was superb.

Mayor 7 - most of the good things we did went through him - the odd silly loss of possession but his ball carrying and passing in tight spots was very good. Dropped in to help the defence out too on occasions - he's underrated in that respect.

Grant 7 - as I mentioned, maybe a small error for the goal, but nothing major. A couple of great first time passes to Mayor to set us going. Defensively fine, and his free-kicks were reasonable.

Jephcott 6 - obviously a very tough afternoon for both strikers, but LJ did the best he could without being amazing. His link up play was good, and his pressing off the ball was very good too. Unlike...

Hardie 4 - I wondered whether he was conserving his energy in the first half, but after the break he was much the same. One good pass to set Edwards free in the first half apart, I don't remember him doing anything of note.

Subs:
Reeves 6 - not amazing, but added passing quality in DM. I'd be tempted to try him instead of Fornah in the league.
Telford 5 - ran around. On the one occasion he found good space and we had a chance to counter, played it behind Mayor which held us up and counter-attack chance was gone. Won a few free-kicks at least.
Moore 7 - good assist, but snatched the chance he had late on putting it over the bar. Still, he did well. Re-inforces my belief that he's better than Telford or Nouble up front.
Nouble 7 - that said, Nouble did have another decent cameo, providing some good aerial ability. Want to see more of that from him in future.

Final word to the ref, who was very good throughout, but... at least one minute's worth of stoppages in stoppage time itself, and you blow the FT whistle one second before the original allocation was up?! Clearly you wanted to get home ASAP tonight.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i thought we showed relegation certainties sheff. utd too much respect.we weren't hammered and might have forced extra time but in truth they just about deserved the win.my main observation is that reeves must start in place of fornah from now on,he played very positively.my marks;
Cooper 8, Aimson 6, Opoku 8, Watts 6, Fornah 3, Edwards 7, Camara 7, Mayor 3, Grant 5, Jephcott 6, Hardie 6. Subs - Moore 4, Telford 4, Reeves 7,

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Come on, Steve. Mayor 3?! When he set a number of attacks going and actually defended well?

And that'd the same Moore you're giving a 4 to who set up our goal, right?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
To be fair to Steve his markings are always different and often hilarious. Can't fault a unique opinion.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Pogleswoody":1010ht2l said:
Dan Ellard":1010ht2l said:
Come on, Steve. Mayor 3?! When he set a number of attacks going and actually defended well?

Mayor 3? Hardie 6? :crazy:

Yeah Hardie very much deserves double the marks Mayor gets :funny:
I think this guy just rolls two dice for his ratings and puts down whatever comes up

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Steve Evans":12s65s4h said:
Dan Ellard":12s65s4h said:

yes

You know a lot of psychedelic substances are illegal still right?

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Disappointed, quite honestly.
I thought we lacked the passion, grit and determination you often see from the underdog.
Saying that though, we did alright I guess, but I felt the Blades were comfortable for most of the game and deserved the win.
I too thought we opted to pass backwards too often.

But there were positives: Cooper did well and I'm sure his distribution will have been noticed.
I've liked Opoku from the start and he continues to develop in his role.
Reeves did well when he came on.
Grant has become Mr Reliable.
Got away with an appalling VAR decision!

Negatives? Yes, I'm afraid: Not sure what the Pasoti love in with Camara is all about. Don't rate him personally... yet. Missed a sitter and his sloppy pass in a good position led to one of their goals.
We need to get Mayor on the ball more. I don't know if he is played in the right position and I realise he gets man-marked more than the others, but we need to find a way to get him more involved.
Hardie? Quite frankly a waste of space at the moment. Where is his commitment?
Fornah is NOT protection for the defenders.
I'd like to see Ryan Lowe show more passion on the touchline. His lack of animation must rub off on the players.

Cooper 7
Edwards 6
Aimson 6
Opoku 8
Watts 6
Grant 8
Fornah 4
Camarà 5
Mayor 6
Jephcott 5
Hardie 3
Reeves 7