Ben Reeves | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ben Reeves

Oct 31, 2015
When Reeves replaced Fornah he went into the same position as far as I could see but it pushed us further up the pitch and through their pressing.

I don't rate Fornah in the deep midfield role tbh but is it a position Reeves could play after seeing him there today?
Not sure he could cover the defence as much as McCloud but it seemed to work today

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
I thought Fornah played quite well and worked incredibly hard at chasing down. Reeves seems to excel when he comes on as a bit of space appears later in the game - some of his passing is more adventurous.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Played very well when he came on.

Let’s not slate Fornah though. Both will be good players for us.

Sep 2, 2008
saxman":v8vctege said:
I thought Fornah played quite well and worked incredibly hard at chasing down. Reeves seems to excel when he comes on as a bit of space appears later in the game - some of his passing is more adventurous.

His decision making and positioning is not good. He cost us the 2nd goal today and has cost us goals in other games too. We have players that can play that position far better than he does.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I feel Fornah's passing selections are often negative and off the ball how strong is he defensively ? I've had my doubts about Reeves and he is quite one footed but he does perhaps deserve more game time. I'm not sure either are strong enough or drive the play forward enough. I'd prefer a player more in the Songo'o mould.

Jul 14, 2008
I’m not sure Reeves is really a defensive midfielder who will break up play and stick his foot in - he is more of a playmaker in my view. Macleod is probably best in that position but as expected he can’t stay fit.

Aug 14, 2014
Reeves was significant in Argyle's strong last 20 mins in yesterday's game but I do not consider him to be an effective defensive midfielder from what very little I have seen of him play. RL played Wootton as a defensive midfielder in part of a previous game, I feel his presence as either a support or replacement to Fornah when winning is preferable. Alex Ferguson used to select Phil Jones as a defensive midfielder, though usually in front of a back 4 in more defensive minded games.

Just for you Pogleswoody---note there is no Black and Gold on the scarf!

PARIS. Plymouth ArGAEL resolute in Southampton. :funny: :scarf:

Jun 27, 2019
Reeves stood out yesterday because he was given licence to run from deep with us chasing the game. I'm not sure that'd be an option from the start, though. There was one point yesterday when he tried to do a sort of semi Cruyff turn in between two Sheff Utd players with inevitable results. Not really what you want your DM to be doing!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Maybe having our holding midfielder more forward thinking will allow us to be more controlling in matches.

The more aggressive we can we the better control of a game we could have.

If our CDM holds very little threat then he’s easily nullified in the sense he only impacts defensively.

If Reeves could be an area of threat as well as providing some cover to the back three then I think it would allow us a bit more freedom in the middle and allow the wingbacks to stay further up in support.

I’d like to see him have a full game because he’s technically sound and has an eye for a pass.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Alot of Reeves' build, stature and passing ability reminds me of David Fox.

I'd imagine a Derek Adams side would not be adverse to having him in a 4231 formation.
Whether Ryan Low would play him there remains to be seen. TBH I don't any of our players in the DCM role have been outstanding this season.

I do wonder if Lowe is considering playing Wootton there sometime in the future, after his recent sub appearances there.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Emu":2xzlqn75 said:

I'd imagine a Derek Adams side would not be adverse to having him in a 4231 formation.
Whether Ryan Low would play him there remains to be seen. TBH I don't any of our players in the DCM role have been outstanding this season.

I do wonder if Lowe is considering playing Wootton there sometime in the future, after his recent sub appearances there.

Wootton is a good cover late in games protecting a result.

He can play a pass but obviously his main attribute is defending further out.

I’m still yearning for a match that drops the CDM and moves to a CAM with mayor having a free role on on the edge of the oppositions box. His dribbling and close protection of the ball would be brilliant for Hardie and Jephcott.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Emu":ckz3hz6o said:

Personally, I do not feel that Wootton is quick enough for that role at the start of a game. He is OK to be brought on as a substitute in that role, late in the game, to back up the CDM, to help protect a lead or a draw situation.

Aug 5, 2016
Ben Reeves is alongside Mayor as one of the best technical players at the club. Comfortable on the ball, tidy dribbler, great passing range and a real goal threat.

But you wouldn’t play Mayor defensive midfield either. Reeves is slow, sluggish off the sprint, weak, poor in the air, unversed in the art of standing or sliding tackles. Our back 3 need all the help they can get, and Reeves offers next to nothing defensively.

I think the Mayor or Camara positions are where he is best suited. I do think Lowe needs to use him more though as months go by where he doesn’t seem to get a chance, and he has so much to offer. Mayor and Camara don’t need 90 minutes all the time.

Fornah has gone off the boil lately. Whether it is form, exhaustion or a mental thing but there were times yesterday he was not doing what he was supposed to be doing that were shocking to watch. Casually jogging back into the box with opponents queuing up to receive the drag back being one that springs to mind. He needs a rocket up him.

Macleod is the best at the club in the position but has obvious fitness issues.

In the short term I think the best option is Grant at CDM and Lewis to LWB.