Was it a pen? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Was it a pen?

Aug 5, 2015
I think we’d have been highly peed off if that had been a Blades defender. Of course it was a penalty.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Who knows? The handball rule seems to have changed 10 times since the season started!
One of the Premiership’s most experienced refs said it wasn’t and his decision was confirmed by multiple camera angles in slow motion by VAR.
So no it was not a penalty........ but it sure did look like one!
As did the occasion when McGoldrick was climbing all over Aimson from a Grant free kick in the second half- and VAR didn’t even look at that one. Anyone know why?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The female co-commentator, who was accused of being biased, saw the incident and questioned the decision not to go to VAR.
Dead on 90 minutes. Free kick from Grant and it was clear that McGoldrick pushed Aimson to the ground.

Aug 5, 2016
I miss the days when handball meant something deliberate and intentional.

Watts has had the ball absolutely drilled at him and people are screaming that it is an ‘obvious’ penalty. He would need to detach his arms to be able to try and block in the box and not be at risk of giving away a penalty, if blasting the ball at someone’s arm is all it takes.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Was it a penalty? No - the VAR decided that it wasn't a penalty...full stop, end of.

Should it have been a penalty? As Knibbs has said, if all it takes is to have the ball deliberately drilled at the defender's arm, then there is something wrong with the Laws of the Game.

The Law was always "below the elbow", so the VAR is correct...no penalty.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I can’t see how it wasn’t given. He was a good 6 yards away and between the time of the ball being kicked and it hitting him he managed to get his hands from his sides up above his head and charged it down.

Obviously pleased it wasn’t given, but as I said at the time I’d be furious if it was the other way round.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
My first thought was that it’s a penalty and the replay confirmed that for me. However, the var footage muddies this and makes it unclear on what part of the arm it hit him.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
From VARs perspective the ball did not hit an illegal part of the arm (if it hit his arm at all), supported by the fact that Watts wasn't cautioned, therefore there was no offence. The game was restarted with corner I believe.

Aimson was clearly pushed but he is known for going down easily.

As the defending team I'd have been angry to be on the receiving end of a pen being given in either situation. As an attacking team I'd have been screaming for both.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
If you’d have seen this without VAR I’d imagine most people, instinctively, would have thought penalty. I certainly did, and even after VAR can’t figure out the decision not to. You don’t put your arms up to your face in the box.