When football was football. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

When football was football.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Just for us old buggers.

Proper clubs in those days, no FGR or Fleetwood. :greensmile:

mSwTao5.jpg

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Yes, I used to get one of these at the start of a season with whatever comic I used to read. I would spend a lot of time taking down the football results off Sports Report on Saturday afternoon and working out the league positions. I then moved the little cardboard name tags to the appropriate place on the ladder. All very exciting!

The most challenging thing was calculating 'Goal Average'. You had to divide goals for by goals against to get a positive number - sometimes to three or more decimal places. If you had a negative number it meant your team needed to buy a new towering centre half or two!

None of your easy-peasy 'Goal Difference' mullarkey in those days! :lol:

Feb 8, 2005
What a cracker, Ian, I can remember these league ladders. The teams didn't last the season, being continually pulled out and pushed in again but it was good fun back then.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Southampton Hake":xurqx8jp said:
Only 91 teams listed, I think the missing club is Oxford United.

They appear to be colour coded by the teams in each division for season 1958/59.

White on blue - First Division
Red on white - Second Division
White on red - Third Division
Blue on white - Fourth Division

Therefore the Third Division team missing is Swindon Town.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
The missing team are Peterborough United who came in to the FL in 1960 to replace Gateshead when they folded. They went on to win Division 4 in their first season.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
PS Oxford came in soon after in 1962 to replace Accrington and in one of the more quirkier items of footballing trivia, guess who Accrington replaced when they came back in to the FL 44 years later...

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
demportdave":234bwe73 said:
The missing team are Peterborough United who came in to the FL in 1960 to replace Gateshead when they folded. They went on to win Division 4 in their first season.

Gateshead are in there so this is pre-1960-61, Peterborough's debut season.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Beg your pardon LC, I was looking for Gateshead in Division 4.

You are of course correct, the missing team in Division 3 is Swindon Town.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
demportdave":16ficlb8 said:
PS Oxford came in soon after in 1962 to replace Accrington and in one of the more quirkier items of footballing trivia, guess who Accrington replaced when they came back in to the FL 44 years later...

Following on from that who scored Accies first 2 goals back in the football league ?

Aug 14, 2014
Thanks Lundan Cabbie for the solution to my curiosity, was it just by accident that Swindon were omitted as we play them tonight.

Demportdave, the Accrington/Oxford exchange of Football League memberships is a real trivia gem.

I missed these charts being an addict of Gorgeous Gus etc in The Victor.