Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Tuesday 26 January | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Tuesday 26 January

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
Tuesday 26 January

Swindon match highlights .... Sky Sports.

Swindon 0 - 2 Argyle. Camara 36, Hardie 67.

Match report.

The line-up v Swindon ...

Ex-Argyle keeper Kyle Letheren signs for Morecambe after recently leaving Chesterfield.

Former Argyle player Duncan Neale and former director John McNulty were one of the first people to receive a Covid vaccine at the Home Park vaccination centre this morning.

Happy 21st Birthday to Luke Jephcott.

On this day in 2007 the club completed the purchase of Home Park from Plymouth Council for Ā£2.7 million. Chairman Paul Stapleton said: "This is an important day in the history of Plymouth Argyle.
"For the first time since there's been an Argyle team playing at Home Park, we can truly say it is now our ground."

The new signings made during the January transfer window over the last five years:
2021 so far.
Adam Lewis - loan from Liverpool.
Niall Ennis - from Wolves, undisclosed fee, two-and-a-half-year contract.
Jerome Opoku - loan from Fulham extended to the end of the season.
Tyreeq Bakinson - loan from Bristol City.
Ryan Hardie - loan from Blackpool.
Josh Grant - renewed loan from Chelsea.
Oscar Threlkeld - loan from Waasland-Beveren.
Lloyd Jones - loan from Luton Town.
Remi Matthews - loan from Norwich City.
Zak Vyner - loan from Bristol City.
Moses Makasi - loan from West Ham.
Simon Church - free agent.Ā 
Jakub Sokolik - free, released by Southend.
Nathan Blissett - Ā£15,000 transfer fee from Torquay United.
Antoni Sarcevic - free, released by Shrewsbury.
Ryan Taylor - free, released by Oxford United.
Matty Kennedy - loan from Cardiff City.

Jun 27, 2019
If only they'd spent that Ā£2.7m on players we might have ended up finally making the top flight.

999mattyg

āœ… Evergreen
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
WoodsyGreen":pnl8wzh4 said:
If only they'd spent that Ā£2.7m on players we might have ended up finally making the top flight.

For one season before crashing out of existence! We were massively overspending already to get to that level in the Championship and the ā€˜knock onā€™ from that was eventual administration!
We need sustainable development and owning the ground was part of that vision.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
They didn't spend 2.7 million to buy the ground they borrowed it from the bank. I dont think a bank would lend 2.7 m to buy players!!!

Jun 27, 2019
999mattyg":12oh2vvl said:
WoodsyGreen":12oh2vvl said:

For one season before crashing out of existence! We were massively overspending already to get to that level in the Championship and the ā€˜knock onā€™ from that was eventual administration!

Owning the ground really helped us become sustainable didn't it!

Jun 27, 2019
edmonds200":3jfcb7ku said:
They didn't spend 2.7 million to buy the ground they borrowed it from the bank. I dont think a bank would lend 2.7 m to buy players!!!

You are right, of course. It was more of a wistful comment about what might have been.

One big signing could have been enough to turn Holloway's team into genuine promotion contenders but the board failed to seek investment, Holloway left as a result and the rest is painful history.

999mattyg

āœ… Evergreen
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
WoodsyGreen":1g5t0rij said:
999mattyg":1g5t0rij said:
WoodsyGreen":1g5t0rij said:

Ultimately it will help achieve that aim!

Jun 27, 2019
999mattyg":1drkhxxn said:
WoodsyGreen":1drkhxxn said:
999mattyg":1drkhxxn said:
WoodsyGreen":1drkhxxn said:

Ultimately it will help achieve that aim!

Oh, if you're talking about the present day then I agree 100%. Simon Hallett and his new grandstand fill me with much more confidence than Stapleton and his directors did.

I have faith that if ever we get back to the Championship under SH, he won't die wondering.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
WoodsyGreen":377duqaf said:
edmonds200":377duqaf said:

You are right, of course. It was more of a wistful comment about what might have been.

One big signing could have been enough to turn Holloway's team into genuine promotion contenders but the board failed to seek investment, Holloway left as a result and the rest is painful history.

No investor in their right mind would have put money into the club at that time. As has been already said, we were already massively overspent and continuing in a completely unsustainable way.

Jun 27, 2019
Mark Pedlar":k7nkfxn0 said:
WoodsyGreen":k7nkfxn0 said:
edmonds200":k7nkfxn0 said:

No investor in their right mind would have put money into the club at that time. As has been already said, we were already massively overspent and continuing in a completely unsustainable way.

Except we did attract investors, but only once Holloway and most of his team had already left. It was too late to capitalise on a squad and manager who were capable of making that step up and becoming immortal in our club's history.

Post-Holloway I would agree that we quickly became a dead man walking and no investor would have touched us.

Edit: I meant no 'serious' investor would have touched us. I don't think Todd and Gardner could be classed as such.

Iā€™m amazed anyone (other than the super-rich with billions to spare) ever puts money into football. A real triumph of hope over experience.

Just looking at past signings in the OP reminds me how mutually disappointing Oscar Threlkelā€™s signing became. He seemed a perfect fit at the time. Is he still in the game?

Jun 27, 2019
mervyn":jyxkrdaa said:
Iā€™m amazed anyone (other than the super-rich with billions to spare) ever puts money into football. A real triumph of hope over experience.

Just looking at past signings in the OP reminds me how mutually disappointing Oscar Threlkelā€™s signing became. He seemed a perfect fit at the time. Is he still in the game?

He's at Salford and a regular in the team as a DM. We could very well be facing him next season - one way or another!

Jul 14, 2008
In fairness we werenā€™t much different to most championship clubs in making big losses - unlike others though we didnā€™t have a wealthy benefactor to keep underwriting those losses.

Iā€™m not even sure it was about buying additional players at that time. If we could have just spent a bit more to improve the wages of players like Norris and Buzsaky maybe we could have kept that team together and gone up. I guess we will never know!

Apr 9, 2011
WoodsyGreen":2y4neogi said:
mervyn":2y4neogi said:

He's at Salford and a regular in the team as a DM. We could very well be facing him next season - one way or another!
Another"plastic" club alongside Fleetwood

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Herts_Green":1p4qyx2j said:
In fairness we werenā€™t much different to most championship clubs in making big losses - unlike others though we didnā€™t have a wealthy benefactor to keep underwriting those losses.

Iā€™m not even sure it was about buying additional players at that time. If we could have just spent a bit more to improve the wages of players like Norris and Buzsaky maybe we could have kept that team together and gone up. I guess we will never know!

The last published accounts before we went into administration showed we were paying 87% of income on wages.
It was player wages that played a huge part in our financial downfall.