Jephcott or Ennis (merged thread x 3) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jephcott or Ennis (merged thread x 3)

Aug 24, 2009
Hardie is getting better with every game his playing, my criticism is he takes the extra touch rather than shoot.the question is would you play Ennis for Jephcott who is not at his best at the moment, when Ennis came on he caused all sorts of problems with his and snd aggression, something which Jephcott does not have. Jephcotts game is finding space around the goal area whereas the othe two in my opinion offers more. It is interesting because all three offer different options. Camara is quite raw but he will develop into a great player worth a lot of money,although I thought that Mayor was my MOM. He had his best game ever, it was such a shame his goal was ruled out, sometimes he is frustrating to watch because like Hardie he takes an extra touch when in a shooting position but overall it was a excellent performance, .

Apr 1, 2009
Football fans are ridiculously fickle. 2 weeks ago Jephcott was the big star,first name on the team sheet, an extra 0 added on to his fantasy value each time he scores. Then he goes 3 games without scoring - three away games, one against Prem opposition - so he's regarded as "not at his best" and there's talk about leaving him out. Suddenly Camara is the player everyone's talking about, with Ennis possibly being the next big thing.

Can't we just enjoy having 3 decent strikers, and having less need to rely on big Frank and little Dom?

Leave it as it is for the moment, with Ennis given cameos off the bench. It's his job to do enough to earn a start.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
xmastree":2a3e3q3r said:
Football fans are ridiculously fickle. 2 weeks ago Jephcott was the big star,first name on the team sheet, an extra 0 added on to his fantasy value each time he scores. Then he goes 3 games without scoring - three away games, one against Prem opposition - so he's regarded as "not at his best" and there's talk about leaving him out. Suddenly Camara is the player everyone's talking about, with Ennis possibly being the next big thing.

Can't we just enjoy having 3 decent strikers, and having less need to rely on big Frank and little Dom?

Leave it as it is for the moment, with Ennis given cameos off the bench. It's his job to do enough to earn a start.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
How can you possibly make a value judgement on a new signature player who has been in combat for circa 15 minutes versus a guy who has performed with distinction from the start of the 20/21 season? :mad:

Aug 24, 2009
I am not suggesting he is a bad player although I have suggested he is not the player people are suggesting he is YET. I think he needs a rest. It is quite easy to see that Ennis is a quality player and his all round attributes are better than Jephcott, What you have to remember he was playing for Truro and if the truth was told he was not exactly ripping the league up although he as developed a lot but lets not get over excited. RL always reminds us how he ensures that any player we bring in as to fit and I would hope this is the case with Ennis and at a minimum he is better than what we have, Opoku is a clasic example, we left him on the bench for a short time and he as returned a much better plater. competition is very healthy, I do not think its a case of being fickle.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I can't see Lowe dropping the League One joint top scorer for someone who hasn't scored in 12 games.

Jephcott and Hardie will be the first choice strike force for a while with good back ups when needed.

Aug 5, 2016
What were these problems Ennis caused? I can't say I noticed him too much. He was tidy in his hold up play but nothing worth dropping the division's top scorer for.

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Nothing surprises me on Pasoti, but the OP on this thread went close! Luke Jephcott is the league's top scorer and never puts in anything other than a full shift as the first line of defence. He has come to the attention of a number of other clubs and is coming in for "special" marking. He's going to have to learn to live with that and overcome it. I'm sure he will. To say that his three-match "goal drought" is a sign of lack of ability or tiredness is fanciful to my mind.

The plus side is that it gives the others, including Danny Mayor, a bit more space. Maybe that's why he has done so well in the last few matches. We now need Panutche Camara to get the same reputation. Who will they "specially mark" then?

Niall Ennis looks like a good find, but it's way too early to say that he's the next big thing to come out of Home Park. It's a lot easier to do a livewire cameo in the last twenty minutes than put in a big shift over the first seventy. Ask Ryan Hardie - who is beginning to show that he's more than just a super-sub.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
xmastree":8tpxfzpb said:

I agree and well said

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Luke Jephcott is responsible for 39% of our goals this season. It'd be madness to drop him at this point when him and hardie are playing well together.

Jan 27, 2012
Like most Argyle fans, I have hardly seen Ennis play. Its very hard to form any sort of opinion about him yet.

Luke Jephcott IS our main striker.

He IS the leading scorer in League 1.

BUT when he plays poorly [as he does and will do again], what happens ?

Do we persist with him ?

But he is NOT scoring any goals.

Or do we allow him to spend 95 minutes IN THE HOPE that something MAY happen ?

The games on iFollow, when he has played [most of them], he looks lost.

A little boy against these "big bruisers" not giving me a kick !

Ryan Hardie seems to work so hard, slowly his luck is turning ?

Will the same be said for Jephcott ?

Mar 14, 2009
Like people are saying it's way too early to judge Ennis. However, one thing he does have is pace.

I look at Jephcott and Hardie and l see different qualities this season.

With Hardie he has created numerous assists with his awareness. He also has decent pace.

With Jephcott he has finished off his opportunites really well.

I look at our front two and think can they fire us up into a top 10 team next season. I'm just not sure. I think you ld like to see more power and strength in our front line and sometimes find, especially in second halves of games, we need a forward to hold it up better which allows the team to move up the park.

I think the valuations of Jephcott for over a million are way over the mark currently. I think he needs to add more involvement to his game when he is not scoring.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I can actually see why people might be suggesting this, but Jephcott's style of play will often see him criticised if he hasn't scored.
He has improved immeasurably back to goal and that will continue, but he is an out and out goalscorer- a fox in the box. He might be the player with the fewest touches over 90 minutes often, but 15 of those touches have been goals this season. 15.
If Hardie had squared it last night rather than running into the keeper in the first half, we would have won 3-0, Jephcott would have 16, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I bet Tommy Tynan would have a lot to say about this debate.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think it could be both mentally and physically rewarding to give them a rest.

I’d still like to see Moore have 60 minutes upfront with Jephcott