Do we still need a centre back ? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Do we still need a centre back ?

Mar 24, 2019
After the recent upturn in form and improved defensive performances, do we still need a cb? If so , someone to come in and start, or a squad filler?...........I think it would be unfair to drop any of the back 3 at the moment,opoku in particular has been superb in the last month......we have wooton and soon to be fit sawyer in reserve so possibly another squad filler for me ....I can’t see Lowe bringing in the big commanding cb that some are calling for....it’s important in this system that the cb s can play football, and have coached these lads on how he wants them to play , I think he’s gonna stick with them

Jul 6, 2011
I think you're right, we also have some younger defenders coming through like Brandon Pursall who looked confident on his debut. Wootton has always looked to me like a defensive midfielder rather than a CB, but he could always fit in in an emergency.

Jun 27, 2019
I think it would be unfair to drop any of the current back three, who are developing a promising understanding.

However, we definitely still need to bring in another body back there. Grant went down injured last night and if he'd gone off Opoku probably would have moved to LWB and Wootton would have replaced him in the middle. We would only have been one further injury away from having to play Fornah (I suspect) at CB, or needing to change formation. Neither would have been at all ideal.

On top of that, Wootton isn't good enough for League One - something that RL has obviously realised as he's been trying him in a position where he can do less damage.

I'm sure RL and his management team are working on bringing in another CB as we speak.

Nov 22, 2006
Yes there is no question that those 3 are in good form atm but we still need a strong squad to make sure we stay up, injuries happen and i do not beleive Wootton and Sawyer (dont get me wrong club legend) are good enough at league 1 level in my opinion

Jan 27, 2012
Beacuse of the position they play, centre backs are always prone to getting booked, leading to suspensions. Plus they can always get injured.

Wootton is the only cover Argyle have at the moment. We are just an injury and suspension away from having a crisis. Sawyer isn't ready yet and the kids are probably not good enough for League One.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Aaron D.":3sk6pzh1 said:
I'm sure RL will also have an eye on next season. Opoku will go back to Fulham, Wootton needs replacing and Sawyer is old. We need someone now so we don't have to completely rebuild in the summer.

Ouch! :lol:

Feb 15, 2005
The important point is RL thinks we need another CB as he tried to sign the lad from Ipswich.

Aug 5, 2016
We lost Canavan so we either promote Pursall to rotation status or bring in another CB.

Wootton is the only player covering three CB positions as it stands, whilst also covering Fornah at CDM. A couple of injuries/suspensions could hit us hard.

I would say another CB is very much required.

Mark58":39qs49ce said:
Aaron D.":39qs49ce said:
I'm sure RL will also have an eye on next season. Opoku will go back to Fulham, Wootton needs replacing and Sawyer is old. We need someone now so we don't have to completely rebuild in the summer.

Ouch! :lol:
true though! He was targeted time and time again last season because he's slow. He's experienced but we've gone up a league and he's only going to get slower.

And Kelland is not our player either. He may well be gone next season too.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I thought young Tomlinson was a very promising young CB, with Pursall more a LB cum LWB? When is Tomlinson going to get a chance of games unless he goes out on loan at least National League level..

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Yes, definitely.

Apr 1, 2009
Quintrell_Green":1iuk1mjh said:
I thought young Tomlinson was a very promising young CB, with Pursall more a LB cum LWB? When is Tomlinson going to get a chance of games unless he goes out on loan at least National League level..

How often have you seen Tomlinson, and at what level? 18 seems a young age for anyone to be championing his cause for first team games. Given that he was on loan at Barnstaple earlier this season, relying on him to contribute at L1 level is a big ask. Ditto Pursall, who is 16. I imagine both will get loans over the next couple of seasons.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Just to point out the obvious.

Of our current back three, two aren't even our players.

We need a CB in this window ideally, but, we will need at least two in the summer, possibly three assuming Sawyer will be not be retained in a playing capacity.

May have to wait till the summer window to acquire the experienced defender many people feel we need.