Best opposition players this season | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Best opposition players this season

Aug 5, 2016
Just wondering based on their performances against Argyle this season, which players have caught the eye, and which players would you like to see Lowe in for in the summer?

Siriki Dembele - Peterborough. A combination of outstanding agility and incredible ball control has made him one of the standout players in this division. He runs at players with all the confidence and balance of Lionel Messi, and can slip dangerous passes at half a second's notice. A poacher like Jephcott would dream of having a player like that disrupting the defence and making space for him to find in behind. Unfortunately his reputation is obvious and someone on here would need to win the lottery for us to afford him, but his performance away at Posh really stood out.

Jordan Graham - Gillingham. I'm not sure if he is Lowe's type of player or where he would fit in here (seeing as Lowe has no use for touchline-hugging wingers), but he was a real thorn in our side when we played and a memorable opponent. A good dribbler without necessarily being fast, tricky to defend against, loves driving runs and aggressive on the ball. His stepovers threw Watts and Grant off balance all day and continually guessing, and the quality of his crosses were dangerous. You could really see him causing some damage in a better team with better teammates.

Dion Charles - Accrington Stanley. Short, stocky, fast, busy, high energy, high tempo and very effective in the press. If a Championship club doesn't come in for him I'd be surprised, and I think he is exactly Lowe's type of forward. He is out of contract in the summer, and I think he will be on Lowe's shortlist to try and charm him down south. I don't expect Lowe will be successful but I bet he will give it a good go.

Charlie Mulgrew - Fleetwood. One of the most defensively dominant displays against Argyle this season, won every header and tackle that came near him and made Nouble and Telford look non-league. I can't see Lowe realistically wanting a 35 year old but I can only imagine how many more points we'd have this season with a battle hardened leader at the back. If we keep spilling the points such as against Ipswich and Pompey, maybe Lowe will have a change of heart in the emphasis he places on defenders who can defend as their primary attribute, and not panic and collapse in temperament when the match is up for grabs.

Tom Lowery and Ryan Wintle - Crewe. I can't recall Argyle being outplayed in midfield too many times, but these lads were as good as any. Both only 23 with all the Lowe fundamentals about them, excellent on the ball and will pass and move teams to death. Lowery's passing range is excellent and his accuracy is a threat from deep, however I think Lowe would have a much cheaper option in Adam Randell if he wanted an accurate playmaking creative option at defensive midfield.

Dave Richards - Crewe. Never heard of him before but he played in goal instead of the usual Will Jaaskeleinen and was a fantastic shot-stopper for them. Kept them in the game with a string of decent saves and probably the most notable goalkeeper performances we have faced this season.

Are there any others that spring to mind out there that you would like to see on Lowe's shortlist?

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
ealinggreen":2zcm82u5 said:
I don’t know what his name was but the tall centre back for Oxford looked really good.

I think that was Elliot Moore, the best defender I´ve seen against Argyle this season. Caised us problems at both ends of the pitch.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Good thread. Agree with most of them already mentioned. There was the Fleetwood midfielder that seemed to be everywhere, cannot remember his name. I agree with Honeyman he was class. Also I seem to recall Hull's central defenders being very good and impossible to get past.

I wonder if other clubs in L1 asked the same questions whether any Argyle players would get nominated? I seem to recall Charlton fans and commentators loving Camara. Mayor would also surely get a mention too.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Elliot Moore for Oxford was excellent, commanding but good on the ball as well, Sonny Bradley-esc.

Aug 5, 2016
Emu":14hihnux said:
Charlie Kirk, Crewe.

Yes, I ran out of steam in the OP but Kirk would be on the shortlist and I think he is another who is Championship bound. He has a touch of Danny Mayor about him in loving to draw defenders out to take them on 1v1, but his goal and assist contribution is a lot more productive. Fortunately for Argyle we seem to do a good job of containing him but you can see his is their talisman.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Emu":23i2x62e said:
Charlie Kirk, Crewe.

Totally agree. Didn’t he sign for someone for £500k during the Jan window?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
JannerinCardiff":m7zrgwsg said:
Emu":m7zrgwsg said:
Charlie Kirk, Crewe.

Totally agree. Didn’t he sign for someone for £500k during the Jan window?

No, still at Crewe. Contracted until summer 2022.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Uwakwe,( apologies if I have misspelt) the Chelsea lad on loan at Stanley.

Played WB and ran us ragged until he cramped up....would fit the system very well

Aug 5, 2016
pafcprogs":2n9d1gnh said:

Played WB and ran us ragged until he cramped up....would fit the system very well

Yes I remember him, the RB. Coleman actually took him off which I thought was a strange sub because he looked very useful with his raiding runs down our left flank. He looks a cracking young player and a potential RWB in Lowe's system, but it wouldn't surprise me if Chelsea have expectations of him playing Championship football next season.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I thought Joe Piggott was a handful upfront for AFC Wimbledon, although our defence may also have contributed.
Fresh in my memory from Saturday, but also the reverse fixture, Tom Naylor of Portsmouth- looks a very good central midfield player. And although his end product fortunately wasn't there on Saturday, every time Marcus Harness got on the ball I was worried.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
pafcprogs":3amhy17t said:

I fully agree with that as the guy had class. Unfortunately, I do not see him progressing at Chelsea. He will need to move on to less competitive green pastures to satisfy his ambition.