Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
At is current time i cant not see where our next win is going to come from. The last 3 games have been a carbon copy of the previous one with the same issues being played out. Possession & Stats are the buzz words coming out of the manager every single time but he refuses to admit to the paying fan what the glaring issues are- our inability to defend the basics & stop conceding the soft goals- its like watching a washing machine on permanent rinse & spin cycle. You can see it in the boys every time a cheap goal is conceded the finger pointing the i dont know how to get out of this & we are chasing the game again. I dont know what they cover i training RL did mention in is post match that they practised defending scenarios yesterday afternoon but clearly the players we had on the pitch didnt take in what they had practised a couple of hours previously.

I for one dont like seeing this & it feels like from kick off we are not in control - is the mindset keep the ball dont give it away & try to walk it in to the opposing net so that we are not chasing the game or is it carry on as we are doesnt matter if we concede a couple of goals because we have x amount of time to get a draw

Some people may feel i am being harsh but i am going with my gut feeling - the champagne football RL preaches about cannot be done with the quality of player we currently have , no amount of his so called coaching is going to get the players to the level he so craves

I am not saying the players dont try but if RL is not willing or cant see their limitations we are in serious trouble

Is he thinking we just need to get to the end of the season & still be in league 1 or the boys are capable of carrying out this so talked amount gameplan & if we lose it does not matter because we will move onto the next game- i think the latter & i dont like this attitude (he alluded to this in is post match) it almost smacks of we are to good to be relegated.

We have 12 games to limp over the line we all have thoughts & opinions at this current moment in time my opinion is the players & management are living in cloud cuckoo land if they do not think we are sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble.

I suppose we will have to wait until Saturday for the next chapter- but if we concede early we all know what the outcome will be. :banghead:

I

Oct 14, 2015
We need 4 points in my opinion and if we can’t get them from the remaining 12 games then quite frankly we deserve to get relegated. Our saving grace last night was that Swindon, Wimbledon, Rochdale and Northampton all lost as well.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Teams who may think they have an opportunity to help their cause when they play us are Bristol Rovers, Wimbledon, Burton (although Hasselbaink has them en route to safety) and Shrewsbury.

Shrews have quite a few games in hand, but, those will test their depth of squad plus Cotterill has been in and out of hospital due to Covid.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think we’ve done enough/will do enough to avoid relegation, however I really hope we don’t just drift down the table and end the season sourly because that’s not going to do anything for confidence/moral.

Apr 9, 2011
mutley marvel":15tbfv54 said:
At is current time i cant not see where our next win is going to come from. The last 3 games have been a carbon copy of the previous one with the same issues being played out. Possession & Stats are the buzz words coming out of the manager every single time but he refuses to admit to the paying fan what the glaring issues are- our inability to defend the basics & stop conceding the soft goals- its like watching a washing machine on permanent rinse & spin cycle. You can see it in the boys every time a cheap goal is conceded the finger pointing the i dont know how to get out of this & we are chasing the game again. I dont know what they cover i training RL did mention in is post match that they practised defending scenarios yesterday afternoon but clearly the players we had on the pitch didnt take in what they had practised a couple of hours previously.

I for one dont like seeing this & it feels like from kick off we are not in control - is the mindset keep the ball dont give it away & try to walk it in to the opposing net so that we are not chasing the game or is it carry on as we are doesnt matter if we concede a couple of goals because we have x amount of time to get a draw

Some people may feel i am being harsh but i am going with my gut feeling - the champagne football RL preaches about cannot be done with the quality of player we currently have , no amount of his so called coaching is going to get the players to the level he so craves

I am not saying the players dont try but if RL is not willing or cant see their limitations we are in serious trouble

Is he thinking we just need to get to the end of the season & still be in league 1 or the boys are capable of carrying out this so talked amount gameplan & if we lose it does not matter because we will move onto the next game- i think the latter & i dont like this attitude (he alluded to this in is post match) it almost smacks of we are to good to be relegated.

We have 12 games to limp over the line we all have thoughts & opinions at this current moment in time my opinion is the players & management are living in cloud cuckoo land if they do not think we are sleepwalking into possible relegation trouble.

I suppose we will have to wait until Saturday for the next chapter- but if we concede early we all know what the outcome will be. :banghead:

I
I thought exactly the same myself watching on I follow. On Cobis point i think that is exactly what will happen unless somehow we stop the rot. I can see the season just fizzleing out & we will end up just outside the relegation places which would be a shame because IMO as a squad we are more than capable of finishing quite comfortably mid table. We deserved at least a draw against Donny & last night nothing went right for us in front of goal including being denied a stone wall penalty inside the first ten minutes. Like most on this sight i cannot fathom out how uncannily the last three games have followed the same pattern.
As footnote i thought RL body language was poor last night. For large chunks of the match he wasnt even in the technical area but just leant against the dug out with his hands in his pockets with a " i give up" attitude

Sep 2, 2008
He strikes me as someone that has no idea of how to address the issues. He keeps saying the same things like 'we've shown them the videos', 'we give them the gameplan' and 'we've had them out on the training ground' etc but nothing is sinking in.

The problem as I see it is that there are a lot of them that really are not bothered because they know that nothing is going to come of not doing their job and tbf to Lowe there is nothing he can do about that. The worse that may happen is that they get dropped or are not offered a new Contract. Tbh, I think its the Contract thing that is having the effect on people.

A lot of them are out of Contract at the end of the season and I actually think that they do not want to be here so they are hardly going to bust a gut, get injured and then jeopardise the move that their agent has probably already lined up for them. Game plans, watching videos and getting drilled on the training ground is not going to change a players mentality once he has made up his mind he's leaving. They are playing with the same attitude shown by the team that got us relegated last time. Many of this current crop have already moved on in their heads much like Carey, Lameiras etc had. The majority are really not bothered about Argyle and are only interested in themselves. He needs to have a massive clear out and start recruiting players that do actually care about doing their job well...use the mould that Camara, Edwards, Aimson and Ennis came from.

May 11, 2019
We’re never going to be relegated like we were never going to make the playoffs, we are a side that is in transition with a mix of inexperienced players who might turn into good league one players, a few experienced league one pros and a few league two players that will be moved on at the end of the season, patience is required.

Apr 4, 2007
Grantham, Lincs
I think our style of play whilst exciting going forward does leave us exposed at the back. Last nights game was a classic example, the majority of our attacks are concentrated down our left, with Watts pushing forward to add the extra man to break the line. The majority of effective counterattacks we suffered are either a ball into the space Watts has left going forward, or a footrace for a ball over the top then utilising the space wider to stretch our defence.
I'm sure I'm not alone in shouting at my laptop when there are overloads on our defence as we scramble back. At our level there will always be a degree of this for our style of play but we need to either stop over committing (at the wrong times not every attack warrants it) or we need people running harder to get back quicker (easy for me to say from my sofa!).
I'm enjoying the opportunity ifollow is giving me during these times to watch so many matches but these trends of leaking goals are making them harder to watch confidently. Also we need a little rub of the green just a few chances to sit up nicely and not bobble! I think we have the makings of a good side and have enough to survive this season which must have been the aim when we started, a bit more quality in all areas will be required to push into the top half convincingly let alone challenge seriously next year.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
I think we might have a few more defeats to come on this bad run but as Lowe teams are streaky we will then Nick a win and probably finish with a reasonable run. I hate the stop start form of this side however. Crewe are only a couple of points above us but seem more consistent.

Feb 15, 2005
We are on a bad run for sure and we seem to be streaky but let’s have some perspective. Liverpool have lost six games at home consecutively and they have a team of superstars. I’m disappointed and have concerns but I feel we will be ok. (Fingers crossed)

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
One of my main concerns is why the defenders don't seem to start awake, teams are going to go for us early and they need to work hardest at the start of each half. How many goals have we conceded in the first few minutes of the second half! It is like the defence goes to sleep at half time and only wakes up after a goal has been conceded.

Aug 5, 2016
April 1971":666ofu0b said:
We’re never going to be relegated like we were never going to make the playoffs, we are a side that is in transition with a mix of inexperienced players who might turn into good league one players, a few experienced league one pros and a few league two players that will be moved on at the end of the season, patience is required.

Don’t count your chickens. How many defeats is it on the bounce now? We have lost deservedly to Northampton and Wigan, so every other team above them can do the same. This team is in poor form.

Jun 15, 2013
It is obvious we are in a poor form, but I don't think we are going to relagated. 'The Magic 50 pts' is close enough.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
So what has changed since we went nine games unbeaten at the start of the year?

I think we have lost some energy defending as a team. During that spell we seemed to have a more measured approach to games, with plenty of men behind the ball and an ability to soak up pressure.

In recent games we seem to have gone all gung-ho again, attacking quickly and often prettily albeit without the quality final ball, but then not finding the energy to get back and close down. Wigan’s second was a clear example.