Conor Grant Crossing King | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Conor Grant Crossing King

• Thread starter Deleted member 9145
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9145

According to D3D4 Football stats Conor is the 2nd most accurate crosser in League 1 with 47 accurate crosses this season !

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
He is 5th in the assists table with 9, behind Honeyman, McGeady, Dembele and Ward. I think the frustration comes from how many times Mayor lays him in on the left hand side. On that basis he should be top.
However, after Lewis' performance on Saturday I think it might be a while before we see Conor at LWB or even LB. Thought Conor also had a very good game on Saturday alongside Fornah in the DM/CM role.

Dec 30, 2020
themightykeithfear":3ja7l525 said:
According to D3D4 Football stats Conor is the 2nd most accurate crosser in League 1 with 47 accurate crosses this season !

Number of accurate crosses isn't a good way to judge the 'most accurate crosser.'

The proportion of accurate crosses would be better. Are there stats on this?

My instinct is that a lot of the time he fails to beat the first man, and that he puts in a lot of crosses because much of our play comes down the left from Mayor drifting into that part of the pitch and drawing in defenders.

Lewis's crosses were much more menacing on Saturday (though he has other weaknesses in his game where Grant is stronger).

Feb 9, 2021
themightykeithfear":1abo2fdc said:
This dosent surprise me he is such an underrated player for Argyle. Unfortunately it dosent fit the narrative when we see these stats because we want it to be George or Adam so we fans say it's because of Danny or somebody else. As it stands hes now our most accurate crosser, our leading assister and our most progressive passer in the last 3rd at the the club. These are all recent stats from league 1. I was very critical of him under Adam's but surely I should give credit were credits due. This is before we mention the quality of his goals plus his versatility and obvious team play. I hope Conner dosent read Pasoti before we sign him up to a new deal!!

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
Whatever Conor's merits as a crosser, to my mind he is at least as good as a passer. Have a look at the exquisite through-ball to Adam Lewis on Saturday immediately prior to the first goal. It's at 2:19 on Matchday Moments for those who missed it or want to see it again. Sheer class!

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
I didn't really rate him last season, he seemed to get lost for large parts of matches. This season I think he's been a revelation and must be one of the first names on the teamsheet each week. I thought Adam Lewis really improved against Rovers and is more dynamic on the wing / back than Conor, who looked very comfortable next to Tyrese in a much more solid looking formation.

Apr 1, 2009
So many nonsense stats around, looking to prove ,well, whatever you want them to prove.

How can you determine accuracy without knowing the target? If Conor aims for Jephcott at the near post, and the next to touch it is Edwards beyond the far post, that presumably counts as an accurate cross. In truth, it's merely fortunate because it missed its target by miles! Then, there's got to be some sort of analysis as to the proportion that are successful. Conor's apparently been successful with 47 - I don't know how many games he's played but that's probably around 1.5 a game. How many has he attempted? In some games he's attempted quite a number, and often without success. Which is more accurate, 47 out of 150, or 25 out of 60?

In Conor's defence, there are others who have it easier. If you have a 6ft 4in CF to aim at, you have a more significant target. Since the demise of Frank the Tank, Conor's had to aim at smaller forwards, often needing to keep his crosses low through an area crowded with bodies, and that's more difficult.

I don't mind these stats, until people become carried away and use them to "prove" something.

None of this is an attack on Conor Grant who's had his best season. He's very useful as he can fulfil a number of roles, but as a result has never nailed down a particular spot. I think there would be disagreement amongst fans as to what his best position is - I wonder if he even knows himself.

Apr 1, 2009
Matt Green Army":2312fakk said:
themightykeithfear":2312fakk said:
This dosent surprise me he is such an underrated player for Argyle. Unfortunately it dosent fit the narrative when we see these stats because we want it to be George or Adam so we fans say it's because of Danny or somebody else. As it stands hes now our most accurate crosser, our leading assister and our most progressive passer in the last 3rd at the the club. These are all recent stats from league 1. I was very critical of him under Adam's but surely I should give credit were credits due. This is before we mention the quality of his goals plus his versatility and obvious team play. I hope Conner dosent read Pasoti before we sign him up to a new deal!!

Don't understand why "we want it to be George or Adam"? I certainly don't. In particular, I can't see why people would prefer to praise a loanee ahead of a contracted player. Please explain.

Aug 24, 2009
Grant is a class act wherever he plays, at LWB he is very efficient although he is not blessed with pace, and is slow at getting back. He is a very good mif-field player and particulary as the holding player, his vision and range of passing is excellent.Lewis does have real pace but does not have a cool head. he had his best game thus far on Saturday although I am still not convinced regarding his consistancy, only time will tell.

Oct 31, 2015
Agree with most of the above. Conor had come into his own over the last couple of seasons. To have a player that can play at a good standard in numerous positions is a must have on our budget.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Well this did surprise me, but I don't mind being proved wrong. I think his crossing has been woeful at times and he fails to beat the first defender too often for my liking. However I thought he played well last game and I hope he continues to deliver.

I also was impressed with Lewis last game and I didn't expect such a good performance from him. This should do him the world of good and hopefully he pushes on now.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
For me Conor is one of the first names on the team sheet this season. I actually prefer him playing in midfield to be honest - he's got an excellent range of passing, and for me his shooting from range is second to none... all of his 4 goals this season have come when he's played in midfield, which considering he's not played in midfield much this season he's certainly a great asset to our team in creating and scoring goals.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Interesting. However, based on only a couple of games granted, I would say Lewis is the best crosser and dead ball striker in the team at the moment.