Cooper at 50 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Cooper at 50

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
I want to give a shout out to Michael Cooper for his achievement at reaching 50 games at such a young age.
Argyle saw his potential and, in my opinion, he continues to deliver and is maturing into a better goalkeeper each time he plays. Argyle’s philosophy of finding, coaching and improving young footballers from Devon and Cornwall is spot on and Michael is a shining example of what can be achieved. He appears to love the club and I hope he stays in an improving and successful Argyle team under Ryan Lowe.
He should be an inspiration to other good, talented youngsters and encourage them to join Argyle as part of a thriving academy set up. He does make mistakes but, in my view, that’s ok as I think he will learn from them and improve as a result.
He could well be the backbone to Argyle’s future success.

COYGs.
Fawlty

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Couldn’t agree more. Mike Cooper in my view is an extremely talented keeper and I think we should enjoy him while he’s with us - as I’m convinced he’ll be playing a higher level than we’ll be in no time at all ..

Well done Coops.. here’s to the next 50!! :thumbup:

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Interesting that Aaron Ramsdale is the favoured u-21 keeper for England. He was definitely second best to Michael Cooper when we played Sheffield United. The others in the squad are Griffiths of Cheltenham (on loan from WBA) and Bursik of Stoke.

Given that under certain circumstances players can play u-21 representative football until they are 23 I hope Coops gets the chance of being in the squad at least. He must be on Boothroyd’s radar.

Feb 20, 2021
I’d imagine Neil Dewsnip might have had a word with Aidy Boothroyd somewhere along the line. He cant be far off an Under 21’s call up.

Apr 1, 2009
UptheTamar":2rozyc4r said:
I’d imagine Neil Dewsnip might have had a word with Aidy Boothroyd somewhere along the line. He cant be far off an Under 21’s call up.

If I have got the eligibility rules right then Cooper (born Oct 99) is only eligible for England U21 until the conclusion of the U21 Euros in June this year. Luke Jephcott (born Jan 2000), however, would appear to be available for Wales U21 until the conclusion of the U21 Euros in 2023, by which time he will be 23 and a half! It's all about being born in the year that the 2 year cycle starts.

Feel free to tell me that I have got the above wrong!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Interesting you mention England U21’s.... I’m watching Ramsdale play for England and just get beaten by a Swiss shot and I also recall thinking when we played Sheff Utd in the cup that Mike Cooper was a better keeper than Ramsdale. Clearly if you play in the prem league you are instantly a better keeper in Aidy Boothroyds view.. Ramsdale

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I haven't really seen any chat at all about Cooper's ability recently, even during the 5 game losing run... which is great.

We all knew he was going to make some mistakes early on, but even then I can't really think of any howlers.

Apr 1, 2009
davie nine":2nfqj52z said:
Being selfish, the longer he stays ‘under the radar’, the longer he’ll stay with us.

There's also the thought that if picked for a squad, he might become unsettled by mixing with all these Prem kids boasting of the very silly money they're on.

fawlty

♣️ PASALB Member
Feb 1, 2012
xmastree":20rzxxz5 said:
davie nine":20rzxxz5 said:
Being selfish, the longer he stays ‘under the radar’, the longer he’ll stay with us.

There's also the thought that if picked for a squad, he might become unsettled by mixing with all these Prem kids boasting of the very silly money they're on.

I obviously want him to stay with Argyle and he is sensible enough to know that he still has a lot to learn which I hope he wants to do with us. He needs the right support from Argyle, which I believe he is already getting, and we, the Green Army, need to show this support too, even when he does mess up now and again. I can’t wait to see happy and cheerful fans back behind him in the Devonport End and all around Home Park.

I believe the Simon Hallett and Ryan Lowe have the right strategy about not worrying about individual losses or mistakes but are focussing on the medium and long term future, success and sustainability of the club which should have the likes of Michael Cooper at its core. I hope and believe that this is being positively pointed out and demonstrated to him by Argyle to allow him to very comfortable and confident as Argyle’s 1st team goalkeeper.

A big green happy future lies ahead for him and also for us.

COYGs
Fawlty

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
I look at the two young goalies in the prem, ramsdale and the lad at Leeds, and haven't seen anything from them that makes me think their better than coops.... £18m ramsdale cost, I believe..

Dec 30, 2020
Biggs":1zvdsabr said:
I haven't really seen any chat at all about Cooper's ability recently, even during the 5 game losing run... which is great.

We all knew he was going to make some mistakes early on, but even then I can't really think of any howlers.

The only real nightmare game he's had was against Gillingham when I think spilling a cross unsettled him and he was floundering the whole game. Ironically, we wound up collecting a rare clean sheet Otherwise he's looked very solid for such a young keeper, and indeed has had a few absolute blinders in some games - eg Blackpool at home and Accrington away.

Mar 24, 2019
I thought it was a mistake to go with Cooper as our no.1 this season.....I thought he looked a bit dodgy early on , but am now happy to admit I was wrong ..he looks the real deal.....I think he’s benefitted from playing behind closed doors in his first season , it’s taken a lot of pressure off him

Dec 30, 2020
ping_g5":277g91z0 said:
I look at the two young goalies in the prem, ramsdale and the lad at Leeds, and haven't seen anything from them that makes me think their better than coops.... £18m ramsdale cost, I believe..

Meslier at Leeds is quite a lot taller which may be significant. Agree re: Ramsdale. Watching MOTD I've noticed that amongst other weaknesses he frequently spills or fumbles shots. Cooper's handling seems technically much better.

The other keepers in the u21 squad are Bursik of Stoke who has played for them in the Championship this season, and Griffiths of WBA on loan at Cheltenham who have the best defensive record in League 2. I think Cooper's reputation might have burgeoned further behind a defence that gives up fewer chances.