Derek Ufton RIP | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Derek Ufton RIP

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The manager when I started supporting Argyle.

Also he was the man in the advert 'Dip Don't Dazzle' a public information film on in the late 60's warning against full beams on the road.

Always heard he was a gentleman. From memory he had something to do with Charlton Athletic, perhaps he was a player there.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
IJN":29zw1rkc said:

Also he was the man in the advert 'Dip Don't Dazzle' a public information film on in the late 60's warning against full beams on the road.

Always heard he was a gentleman. From memory he had something to do with Charlton Athletic, perhaps he was a player there.

Me, too, Ian. I remember him most for the signing of ex-England international Alan Peacock.

You tend to think of people you haven't seen for ages as never getting any older than when you last saw them or, heaven forbid, actually dying. Very sad. Commiserations to his friends and family.

Dec 3, 2005
RIP Derek Ufton, my first Manager at Argyle that I remember along with Mr Ellis Stuttard and Billy Bingham.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Ian is right, he had more than a passing connection with Charlton, appearing nearly 300 times as centre half. Apart from a single England cap, he was famous for shoulder injuries, and dislocated his at least 20 times. He was a director at Charlton from 1984 to 2009.

He was captain of Charlton in the record-setting match against Huddersfield Town at The Valley on 21 December 1957. Charlton played most of the match with 10 men after Ufton was injured, and Huddersfield were leading 5–1 with just 27 minutes remaining. At that point, Johnny Summers began a passage of play in which he scored five goals and assisted with two others to allow Charlton to win 7–6. Huddersfield become the first, and still the only, team to score six goals in an English Football League match – or any other professional football match – and still be on the losing side.

Joined Argyle as coach under Marcolm Allison in 1964 and replaced him as Manager in 1965. Stayed until 1968. In the mid-sixties, I worked near the Hoe and had to take money daily to Barclay's Bank in Notte Street. He always seemed to be in there. I later learned that he married Judy Cottram, a cashier at the bank. Explains everything.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Yes, I always was told he was a true gent as Argyle's manager. His period in the job though, was not exactly blessed with luck. He signed Alan Peacock from Leeds, Alan Sealey from West Ham and Mike Harrison from Blackburn, all for a total of £36,500.
Unfortunately, they only managed 30 League appearances between them as a result of historic injuries, not being able to be fully recovered from. Like Barry Meyer of Argyle. Derek was also a County Cricket Championship wicket keeper. He had a good long life to reminisce about his Argyle days. RIP Pilgrim.

Old Brown

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 10, 2020
Wadebridge
Also a very good cricketer who was a wicket keeper. County cricketer, international footballer, football manager - a unique CV which is unlikely to be copied. RIP Mr Ufton.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Here's a trivia question. Last year, Derek Ufton became the oldest surviving England footballer. Which Argyle legend previously held this record?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
He was a male model....played cricket for Kent and footy for Charlton...I remembering watching the match at Charlton when Alan Sealey made his debut....

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
This is Derek Ufton's entry on GoS's Managers page:
Former England player Derek Ufton managed Argyle for nearly three years from May 1965.

A cultured centre-half who was known for the ferocity of his tackles, Ufton was born in Crayford, Kent in 1928. He started out as an amateur with Cardiff City, and played for non-league sides Dulwich Hamlet, Bexleyheath and Welling United before signing for Charlton Athletic in 1948. At Charlton, he was a regular for twelve seasons, captaining the team and making 263 appearances. During this time, he dislocated a shoulder no less than twenty times.

Ufton was also an accomplished cricketer who made his first-class debut for Kent in 1949. A left-handed wicket-keeper/batsman, he played 149 first-class matches in thirteen seasons, scoring 3,915 runs, taking 269 catches and recording 44 stumpings.

Derek Ufton's sole England football cap was awarded in a showpiece match against The Rest of Europe, held in October 1953 to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the formation of the Football Association. An England team which also included Alf Ramsey, Stanley Matthews and Billy Wright met the cream of European football at Wembley in front of 96,000 spectators; England went behind three times, but the match was drawn 4-4. In 1999, this match was downgraded to unofficial status by FIFA, but the Football Association still record it as a full international and, therefore, Ufton's cap still stands.

One of the few players to stay with one club for the whole of his career, Ufton retired from the professional game in 1960 and then became a coach at Tooting & Mitchem in 1961 before he was brought to Plymouth Argyle as chief coach under his former Charlton teammate Malcolm Allison during the 1964-65 season.

When Allison left Home Park for Manchester City in 1965, Ufton was appointed manager and immediately embarked on a policy of transforming the team. One of his policies was to sell off the players who would command the highest transfer fees and replace them with cheaper equivalents. This paid off financially as the club made a net profit of nearly £50,000, but it made little difference to Argyle's fortunes on the pitch.

Ufton was well-liked by the Argyle faithful, but in his first two seasons at the helm the Pilgrims failed to progress, finishing in the bottom half of the Second Division. Early in 1967-1968 things became even worse. By February 1968, relegation seemed certain: Argyle were out of both Cup competitions and had won just three games in 25. Ufton was sacked, and never managed a football team again.

After leaving Home Park, Ufton returned to his old stamping grounds of Charlton Athletic Football Club and Kent County Cricket Club. He became a director of Charlton Athletic in 1984, playing a key role in returning them to their old ground, The Valley, in 1992, and became President of Kent County Cricket Club in 2001. He was a director at Charlton for 25 years, stepping down in 2009, but continued as a supporter at most home games.

[This description is based on an entry in The Gaffer Tapes, a series on Argyle's managers that appeared in matchday programmes in 2007-08, written and donated to Greens on Screen by Peggy Prior.]

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
oddball":3qjfmyw7 said:
He was a male model....played cricket for Kent and footy for Charlton...I remembering watching the match at Charlton when Alan Sealey made his debut....
To date, the only man to Manage Argyle and work as a male model on the side.

One of those who had very good careers in both Cricket and Football, something we will probably never see again sadly.

I think he used to do photo shoots for mail order catalogues when they were very popular back in the day, I can also remember him in the Bournvita advert on the tele.

We were in big trouble in the old Division Two when he replaced by Billy Bingham who we poached from Southport to become the first £100 a week Manager of Argyle.

Peacock, Sealey and Harrison were desperation signings in an attempt to keep us up but we still got relegated. I think we signed Peacock from Leeds Royal Infirmary.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":3gm6x61y said:

..... and The Big Fry ad where he flourished a giant chocolate bar on a mountain peak!

A varied life!!

RIP.