• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis (Blackpool)

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Woods made his first start since his unfortunate debut at Northampton. Watts failed to recover and Opoku is still out suspended, so it looks like we will start with a back four. Jephcott´s run out for Wales U-21 on Friday meant that he started on the bench, so Ennis and Hardie start up front.

The first half was as good an away performance as you´ll see. Argyle won all the second balls and had 11 shots against 3 from Blackpool.

It was a scrappy start to the game, but Ennis changed that when he hit the post on 7 minutes, following good work from Edwards. Ennis hit the post again on 12 minutes following a long ball through to Hardie, but Hardie was on hand to control the rebound and slot it in from 7 yards.

There was an obvious plan to keep the Blackpool back line on their toes, as Argyle looked to play Hardie in, using his pace, whether through channel balls or over the top to chase.

Argyle´s only first half mistake came when a poor pass from Woods on 18 minutes let in Ward whose shot was turned around for a corner by Cooper. From the corner, Mayor blocked a shot , but this was Blackpool´s only threat on our goal.

Mayor, who had been exceptionally quiet for 30 minutes suddenly came alive and Edwards and Hardie both might have done better when well placed to get sots away, as a result of his creative passing.

At half time, the best team were winning 1 v 0.

Blackpool changed their back four line up at half time.

Well, not for the first time this season, Argyle gave away an early second half goal. On 46 minutes Blackpool equalised. A long ball from the goalkeeper seemed to evade Lewis´s header, Mitchell won the resulting tangle, and his cross shot fell to Kaikai whose shot just ran under Cooper. 1 V 1.

Lewis had a strong involvement in the second goal for Blackpool on 64 minutes as well. A long ball over the top of Lewis let Mitchell run into the area. Lewis chased him back, there was a very soft touch and down Mitchell went. Penalty given. 2 V 1 with Yates sending Cooper the wrong way from the spot.

Moore came on to replace Camera on 70 minutes.

Aimson looked to me as though he may have given a penalty away on 77 minutes got injured, but the resulting scramble could have cost Argyle a goal anyway. Luckily they messed it up.

Jephcott came on for Lewis on 83 minutes, with Grant going to left back. Lolos came on for Hardie in the 89th minute.
With 5 minutes of added time given, suddenly a pass back from Moore to Grant and a cross into the box saw Edwards race in to hit home 2 v 2.

From a fantastic first half, Argyle lost their way a bit in the second half. Hardie and Ennis had nothing like the influence in the second period. But nevertheless, a well deserved draw. Well done lads.

Mom Edwards

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Argyle totally dominated the first half and, but for a couple of defensive lapses, were equal to Blackpool in the second. Woods didn't give Yates a look in the who;e game which is pretty impressive.
For the first time this season, we looked threatening at set pieces, but of course nothing came of it.
The 'penalty' looked like wily striker play to me.

Aug 8, 2013
A few thoughts...

We did a job on them in the first half, possibly our best
45 minutes of the season;
Lewis, shades of George Cooper. I love him going forward, but
he's getting burned at the back;
Aimson again looked much happier being allowed to concentrate
on his main job;
Fornah was excellent again; my man of the match;
Hardie and Ennis caused a lot of problems; maybe Hardie had
a point to prove;
as others have mentioned, our right for once outshone our left;
Mayor played like a man with a hangover again;
Edwards is cemented as player of the season;
we're too naive in giving away penalties, and too nice to get them;
one point nearer the 51;
bring on Wimbledon.

Mar 14, 2009
Edwards for player of the season for me.

He has been immense. He puts a good shift in every game. His attitude and work rate l adore. He has scored some cracking goals this season too. Today’s goal was just beautiful. Personally, l’d love to see him next season in CM alongside Camara. I think those two together would give us a brilliant team engine to build the side around.

Basically, today Lewis unfortunately cost us points. The slip for the clearance was unfortunate. However, he let the player inside him too easily. The penalty was just stupidity. If you challenge like that from behind you are asking for trouble. And sure enough the player was going to go to ground.

Also Argyle have an issue at the start of games. Too many times, especially second half, we switch off in the opening minutes. It’s crazy to think how many goals we conceded already.

Aimson looks a better player in the back four. He just can defend. Then give simple balls to the midfielders or full backs.

He isn’t the only one who looks better in this system. The team has better balance. We attacked more down the right hand side in that first half than the left. When was the last time this happened. Players just looked better as passing options seem easier. There is more support to the forwards. There is better natural width to our play. The forwards are getting a better supply of service.

I’m not gonna get carried away but l’ve always said performances are the key. Even if we had lost today nobody can tell me that away performance wasn’t better than the turgid Northampton one or an improvement on the MK Dons or Ipswich one.

It’s far from perfect. Second half today we lost our way. We gave away the ball too cheaply. However, there was more of a purpose behind what we were trying to do. Something to build on. :scarf: :scarf:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
That's three 2-2s at Blackpool on trot for us and 14/1 odds too.........if only had the courage of my convictions.

Great first half, patchy second half. Overall happy to take a point off a team in very good form..

Surprised by choice of Moore to replace Camara guess Reeves might see it that way too.

Surprised Lewis wasn't first to be replaced, always a mistake in him defensively I fear, but, he does deliver a decent ball into opposition box.

Hope we don’t regret continuing with Aimson almost playing on one leg for last 15(?) minutes as we are hardly blessed for defensive choices.

Edwards took the equaliser really well. Probably Player of the season for me with consistency and important contributions throughout the campaign in terms of vital goals and driving us forward with his runs from and up the touchline.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
One of the best performances of the season first half with good performances all round and system working well. Blackpool on top straight away in second half. Lewis to blame for both goals - very good going forward and excellent crosses but too fallible in defence. Did well to come back at the end with very good goal from Edwards.
A very entertaining game and a fair result. And good to pick up a point at Blackpool in their current form.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Really pleased to get a draw for a change. First draw in a while in fact. Much to be positive about but next season the first thing to fix is these lapses of concentration which let teams back into matches. Overall though, a good day at the office

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Blackpool really didn't look all that. As with a lot of opponents we've given them the goals that they've scored rather than them crafting them.
It's only Wigan recently where I've thought the opposition's goals were ones that we couldn't really mitigate against.

Apr 25, 2018
It would appear to have been windy in Blackpool today and unfortunately with I player you cant tell if this caused us any problems. But its worth noting how much better we were in the first half. Where as when Blackpool played the long ball and over the top in the second half we seemed to struggle to clear our lines.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
up_the_line":11t2bg42 said:
Blackpool really didn't look all that. As with a lot of opponents we've given them the goals that they've scored rather than them crafting them.
It's only Wigan recently where I've thought the opposition's goals were ones that we couldn't really mitigate against.

Totally agree UTL, i wasn’t overly impressed with Blackpool who relied on our mistakes rather than creating their own opportunities through skill. I think overall we had the better of the chances. If Blackpool are the marker for a play off team I think we’re not a million miles away if we get our summer recruitment right.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
1st half was the best i have seen all season- Blackpool did not look like the form team of league one & were lucky only to be one down.

Then the 2nd half malaise reared its ugly head - poor decision making, switching off & all the good work done in the 1st half undone by one player. (Lewis)

For all his Premier League schooling he has cost us- yes he was exceptional last week against the Gas but against a team on a roll the defensive side of his game is appalling- why RL persists in playing him is beyond me

Joe got us out of jail today- some will say the Blackpool player conned the referee but Lewis gave the referee the decision to make.

Was pleased Ryan got is goal & that Niall was continuing his impressive displays but the continual issues with the 1st 15 minutes of the 2nd half meant we could not put the game to bed

A point is better than nothing but the frustration is we cannot or are not able to built on a lead against better teams

Is it age, mindset or not being streetwise enough

We move on to AFC Wimbledon on friday :banghead:

Apr 1, 2009
I thought a draw was fair. It's all very well saying we would have won without mistakes, but mistakes are part of our DNA.

Plusses:

Edwards - great energy and commitment.
More solid in CD with the new formation - Aimson more comfortable and Woods did well.
Fornah - improving with every game.
Signs, in the first half, of an understanding between Hardie and Ennis - we need to build 3 good strike partnerships, not one.

Negative

Post half time snooze again.
Mayor strangely out of sorts.
Lewis's defending - it would seem unbelievable that a young player from a huge club is so poor defensively, but we've seen it before with T Moore and ASB.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Decent point against a form team, Joe Edwards man of match closely followed by Conor Grant.
Plenty of good performances particularly in the first half and a couple of individual errors led to their 2 goals.
A win on Friday at home to Wimbledon and we will be safe, can then give opportunities to the several who can earn a contract for next season, if they impress.
Keep the faith.