Rate the Ref | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Rate the Ref

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
sorry if the reason has been explained before, but why do we only rate the refs in home games?
Anyway, I'd give matey 7 today, although I think he was conned for the penalty he was a lot closer than me.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Pen apart, he was the best ref this season. 3 from me.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
saxman":2y9p8fyz said:
sorry if the reason has been explained before, but why do we only rate the refs in home games?
Anyway, I'd give matey 7 today, although I think he was conned for the penalty he was a lot closer than me.

I've tried it a few times before for away games and there was a lack of posts and votes, there wasn't much interest.
Home games have more fans watching because of season ticket holders having access to iFollow or in normal circumstances more fans attending home games than away games.

I'll try it again for the next away game and see how it goes. :thumbs:

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
OK, I understand, sorry if you've just had to repeat all that! It's one of my favourite post match reflections: having spent 90 minutes shouting and swearing at the 'blind moron' I like to be a bit more circumspect!

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Was it just me who thought the guy had a very good game? He let it flow when he could, was consistent with his decisions throughout and kept control with a very low profile - all attributes that makes a good ref in my book.

As for the pen, well, he was damned if he did (by us!) and damned if he didn't (by them!) I think the lesson is don't make rash and clumsy challenges in the box if you don't want to give a ref the option of awarding a pen.

greenplumber

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jun 10, 2015
Adam Lewis didn't make a challenge in the box, the Blackpool player stepped across him and conned the referee. Apart from that decision l thought the Ref did quite well - still only 5 from me.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
greenplumber":2qc4safo said:
Adam Lewis didn't make a challenge in the box, the Blackpool player stepped across him and conned the referee. Apart from that decision l thought the Ref did quite well - still only 5 from me.

I was going on my immediate impression of the incident at the time - I didn't get to see it again until I checked the highlights just now (twice). You have made a very good point, GP. :thumbs:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Another highly irritating incident in the first half when Edwards wanted to take a quick free kick and the Blackpool player toe poked the dead ball ten yards away as Edwards shaped to take it. This in full sight of the ref.... Edwards was rightly incensed and questioned the ref as to why he wasn't taking further action against the player.
Not quite sure what the round plum man would have said in response?? 'i'll book him next time'??
Minutes later Blackpool were awarded a freekick and instead of kicking the ball back to Blackpool, Edwards just stepped over it... the irritating ref then gave him some sort of pompous, finger-wagging lecture.

The dump tackle on Mayor was a booking.

The penalty was dubious at best...it's one of those where the player almost stops forcing the chasing defender to make contact with them then throws themselves forward.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
I wasn’t sure in the penalty but it was a naive challenge from Lewis. Penalty apart I thought the ref let the game flow and I thought he did ok. Would have been a 7 or 8 from me

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
up_the_line":2hd38s7p said:
Another highly irritating incident in the first half when Edwards wanted to take a quick free kick and the Blackpool player toe poked the dead ball ten yards away as Edwards shaped to take it. This in full sight of the ref.... Edwards was rightly incensed and questioned the ref as to why he wasn't taking further action against the player.
Not quite sure what the round plum man would have said in response?? 'i'll book him next time'??
Minutes later Blackpool were awarded a freekick and instead of kicking the ball back to Blackpool, Edwards just stepped over it... the irritating ref then gave him some sort of pompous, finger-wagging lecture.

The dump tackle on Mayor was a booking.

The penalty was dubious at best...it's one of those where the player almost stops forcing the chasing defender to make contact with them then throws themselves forward.

I though the ref was good throughout to be fair, apart from the pen when he was differently positioned to the camera (as was the ref for that dodgy one at Lincoln) giving him a different perspective. They do say though that good refs get the big decisions right so that was a major error.

The incident you mention above he was just kicking it back to where it took place, not a lot the ref could/should do about that despite Edward's consternation.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The Lewis incident did not warrant a penalty and I would say that 9 out of 10 referees would have waved play on.
However, I do think that the Aimson challenge, a bit later on, would have persuaded a similar proportion of refs to have given that one.
Swings and roundabouts?

Mar 18, 2014
Watching the highlights Lewis didn't make a challenge, the Blackpool player initiated contact and then dived.

Found myself last night watching some rugby referees on Youtube, Wayne Barnes, Nigel Owens etc, and FIFA, UEFA the FA should really be getting these guys making presentations to football's lame excuses for referees.

examples, Nigel telling players that he is the only referee on the field, and if players keep telling him how to do his job, THEY will be penalised.
Similarly, Wayne Barnes said similar to players constantly shouting for yellow cards, that if they continued THEY would get the yellow card

and best of all, when the players are being spoken to it is all "yes sir" or " yes ref" TOTAL RESPECT. If football's officials were permitted to control a game in the same way, enforcing the laws, showing common-sense and the players showing respect or being penalised, football would be a much better game, and all the cheating and gamesmanship that the coaches and managers insist upon from their players would soon disappear

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Vampires11":3ppwyi4i said:
Watching the highlights Lewis didn't make a challenge, the Blackpool player initiated contact and then dived.

More senior players than Adam Lewis have been caught out in these situations.

David Luiz gave away a penalty at Wolves this season and was red carded without making a challenge. When an attacking player is running ahead of the defender, if their legs touch it is going to appear from most angles that the striker has been impeded which most certainly would be a free-kick/penalty offence.

An attacking player is allowed to step across a defender and thereby inviting a challenge. From where the referee was, that's what he would have seen. However had the referee at Blackpool been immediately behind the incident that he may well have seen it differently.