Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Tuesday 30 March | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Tuesday 30 March

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Fascinating stat, the question for Ryan Lowe is why the massive disparity and how to address it? The other sides are more or less what you would expect going on the league table. We are wildly inconsistent and it strikes me that teams are obviously easily able to adapt at half time to counter us but we are clearly unable to respond once they do. Massive learning point for the management team.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The other thing that stands out is that despite the first half dominance, our goal difference is just +1.

May 8, 2011
Mark Pedlar":1zzbjshs said:
The other thing that stands out is that despite the first half dominance, our goal difference is just +1.

The games against Rochdale and Fleetwood would have skewed the first half goal difference just a bit.

After 38 games with the marked difference between first and second halves perhaps fitness/fatigue is an issue.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
It could be an issue but isn't our main problem conceding so many goals early on in the second period when this should be much less of a factor?

At the risk of sounding a bit quirky, I wonder how much of this is down to the confidence and mind-set of a fairly young team. RL and his team will have long been more aware than us of their 2nd half shortcomings, and will have been addressing this in training and half time instructions.

However, those of you who have played competitive sport will know that sometimes the harder you try, the more mistakes you make. I used to find with squash and badminton I invariably won the games where I didn’t give a toss about the result, probably because I was more relaxed and did the right things more naturally.

This could also account for our long winning sequences followed by long losing sequences, where trying harder just somehow makes things worse.

It’s instructive that in American sports, team psychologists are employed in nearly all major leagues for just this reason.

Oct 5, 2013
Seems to me that in his Blackpool post-match interview RL told us exactly what the problem is, but without realising that he had!

He said he gave the team a game plan which they carried out first half, and at half-time he said “more of the same” - but when it didn’t work, he didn’t know why.
I think I know why, which is exactly what others are saying: other teams work us out and change the strategy that our game plan was designed to play against, and because we continue to play the same way, we quickly start to lose.

RL, you need to be able to adapt quickly to the opposition’s tactical changes, you can’t just carry on playing the same when they have changed their strategy!

I was pleased to hear RL saying he’s doing RNLI training to learn how to make big decisions rapidly and under pressure, because that’s exactly what he needs to learn!

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
It’s intriguing I wonder if we could try and preempt it by say starting out playing 3-5-2 and switching to 4-4-2 in the second half just to mess other sides about a bit particularly if we’re leading at half time. Obviously I’m just using that for illustration other formations are available!

Jul 12, 2016
philevs":2yil4aje said:
Seems to me that in his Blackpool post-match interview RL told us exactly what the problem is, but without realising that he had!

He said he gave the team a game plan which they carried out first half, and at half-time he said “more of the same” - but when it didn’t work, he didn’t know why.
I think I know why, which is exactly what others are saying: other teams work us out and change the strategy that our game plan was designed to play against, and because we continue to play the same way, we quickly start to lose.

RL, you need to be able to adapt quickly to the opposition’s tactical changes, you can’t just carry on playing the same when they have changed their strategy!

I was pleased to hear RL saying he’s doing RNLI training to learn how to make big decisions rapidly and under pressure, because that’s exactly what he needs to learn!
I think you are right. Our switching off early in the second half is probably because our players are expecting more of the same from the opposition.
Why don't we play more defensively until we know their tactics and adapt accordingly?

Sep 6, 2006
Many seem to be suggesting that teams see us play 1st half, work us out then adapt to counteract this great mystery they have come across. Which would suggest either Lowe changes his tactics every week or nobody from the opposition has seen us play before! Seriously?

Mar 24, 2019
Lowe asks the side to start games with high intensity and energy and to go straight for the jugular,which is why our 1st half performances are so good .....the problem is it’s very difficult to play like that for 90 minutes.
How many times have we gone in 1-0 up at half time when it should be 2 or 3 ? ...we need to make more of our 1st half dominance.
It makes me wonder whether opposing managers accept that we’ll dominate the first half and try and keep it as tight as they can , knowing that we’ll fade in the second half and they can dominate ....too simplistic? ... just a theory

doozer":1h65qz5b said:
Lowe asks the side to start games with high intensity and energy and to go straight for the jugular,which is why our 1st half performances are so good .....the problem is it’s very difficult to play like that for 90 minutes.
How many times have we gone in 1-0 up at half time when it should be 2 or 3 ? ...we need to make more of our 1st half dominance.
It makes me wonder whether opposing managers accept that we’ll dominate the first half and try and keep it as tight as they can , knowing that we’ll fade in the second half and they can dominate ....too simplistic? ... just a theory

And a very good theory, which could well be right.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Balham_Green":2flursuw said:
Many seem to be suggesting that teams see us play 1st half, work us out then adapt to counteract this great mystery they have come across. Which would suggest either Lowe changes his tactics every week or nobody from the opposition has seen us play before! Seriously?
My thoughts too..