Woods | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Woods

Jul 3, 2013
Probably the best performance by one of our defenders I have seen for a long time today. A great comeback for the lad after his sending off the other week.

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
Thought the same - really good performance. Be interested to see him with a run and see how he does

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
i think it is a hamstring issue. I cannot see RL risking him at Shrewsbury. I reckon Opuku will be selected for that game. I hope that Woods can be signed on a free from Palace in the closed season.

Mar 14, 2009
He played very well. I thought Aimson was my man of the match though.

What l will say though is he looks great in a back four. Same as Aimson. It might be totally different if we revert to a back three next season.

Point in case is Aimson. Look at the difference to his performances a back four backs to him.

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
Am I right in thinking woods contract expires this summer. If it is what are people's thoughts if we could sign him on a free. :scarf:

Apr 1, 2009
Cdp82":1utc6yrv said:
Am I right in thinking woods contract expires this summer. If it is what are people's thoughts if we could sign him on a free. :scarf:

I don't think you are right. Even then, there might be a fee as he's 22.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Metal_Green_Mickey":3fkh9104 said:
He played very well. I thought Aimson was my man of the match though.

What l will say though is he looks great in a back four. Same as Aimson. It might be totally different if we revert to a back three next season.

Point in case is Aimson. Look at the difference to his performances a back four backs to him.

Totally agree with you. I really don't think that the players we have are well suited to a back three. RL persevered with it for a long time but I think the more conventional 442 of the last few games is a big improvement.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Assuming Palace offer him a contract, anyone wanting to sign him would have to pay compensation.

Aug 27, 2019
Impressed with him today & I think he can only improve. Would suggest that if he can shore up our defence, then would be a better investment than GC has proved to be.
Why is it that so many loanees when signed no longer appear to play with the same passion & vigour? I accept GC got injured but he didn't appear to have the same impact once signed, despite the clamour that we should 'break the bank' for him.
Hopefully prove me wrong next year.......maybe we should offer £100k to Palace before season end (if we can raise it)?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cdp82":2tlfazqu said:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Woods_(footballer)

Ok I know wiki can be amended but this says June 2021 is when his contract expires so I am now curious as to what fee he would demand at a transfer tribunal :scarf:

It would depend upon his contract offer from Palace. I would guess that is likely to be for three years on £150k-£180k per year.

Jan 27, 2012
Woods is nowhere near the Palace first team and (despite a good game today) he hasn’t yet proven that he’s League One standard, let alone Championship.

At 22 years old he needs to be playing regular football and, realistically, he is only likely to be getting that opportunity at a League One club.

Palace can’t expect a big transfer fee and Woods can only expect to earn League One wages. So I see no reason why a club like Argyle couldn’t sign him permanently.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Stiffler":jx0n28y2 said:
Probably the best performance by one of our defenders I have seen for a long time today. A great comeback for the lad after his sending off the other week.

Completely agree. While Opoku and Aimson have their last ditch tackling saving headline moments, I thought Woods showed a composure we haven't seen at the back for a while. Could be a very solid permanent sold signing if he we can get a proper look at him with a run in the team. He fits our young player profile and surely would only get better.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Too early to judge for me. Up until the previous two games, I was concerned. He'd made 1 start, in which he'd played dreadfully and been sent off, and 4 sub appearances totalling 51 minutes where we'd conceded 4 (which could just be a coincidence, but he didn't look good in any of them either).

He was good against Blackpool and decent yesterday (don't forget that Blackpool's attack is actually good, Wimbledon's isn't), which is encouraging.

What also has to be taken into account is the change of formation. We've gone from playing a back 3 with only one holding midfielder, to a back 4 where the wing backs sit slightly deeper plus there are two holding midfielders now. The centre-backs are being given more protection - of course they're going to look better.

That's not to say that I'll never rate a centre-back highly now - Aimson was excellent yesterday. But let's just calm the expectations on Woods. Like i said, it's too early to make a definitive judgement, but based on what I've seen so far, he's not as good as Opoku or Watts. Let's hope he continues to improve.