1) Lowe elected to keep with the 4 at the back formation of recent games with Watts replacing Lewis at left-back and Opoku into the middle. Woods nowhere to be seen so obviously his injury was a significant one. Tomlinson and Lolos again on the bench and again no sign of MacLeod. Hardie and Ennis continued their partnership, with Jephcott on the bench.
2) Argyle started poorly, not creating much and looking sloppy at the back. Shrewsbury pressing all over the pitch. They won a number of free- kicks and corners in quick succession but we rode our luck with Cooper making a good save from an Opoku sliced clearance. At the other end when Mayor got involved we looked a lot better.
3) Watts looked a bit ploddy at left-back and didn't really create the opportunities in partnership with Mayor that Grant and Lewis both have. Camara looked a lot more involved than recent games. Grant was a little anonymous. The first 45 was dull, midfield battle with little creativity for either team.
4) We looked to be continuing the Wimbledon second half performance with the forwards living off scraps. To my eyes we needed to go back to 3-5-2 to get us more width, battering down the middle just wasn't working. Camara got booked for a clumsy foul. From the free-kick Aimson missed his header and Shrewsbury had an opportunity that they put over - thus ended the first 45.
5) No changes at halftime but an early chance for Ennis produced a good save from the Shrewsbury 'keeper. Shrewsbury took the lead, Watts played a player onside and Cooper could do nothing to stop a deflected drop into the net. We almost conceded a second moments later but a good block from Opoku.
6) Argyle swapped to 3-5-2 with Grant moving to LWB. Argyle briefly looked much improved. Lolos and Jephcott replaced Hardie and Ennis with 25 or so to go. The change took some of the forwards movement out of the Argyle attack and Shrewsbury got the opportunity to come back into the game.
7) Fornah, Camara and Edwards replaced by Lewis, Reeves and Moore. All the changes had an air of "show me" about them. Almost immediately Grant made a classic back pass mistake and the game was over. Shrewsbury added a quality third that needed someone to close it down - where was Reeves?
8 ) Nobody had a great game, nobody had a shocker, Watts as a left-back perhaps shouldn't be repeated. Aimson or Fornah perhaps motm but it is difficult to pick anyone. None of the changes seemed to have a positive effect. Close to the end Mayor went on a run that beat 5 or 6 players before he passed straight to a Shrewsbury player - it summed up the day from an Argyle perspective.
9) A totally forgettable game with a score line that flattered the home side, who deserved the win but not the score. Hopefully Lowe will now abandon the 4 at the back experiment. Defeat shouldnt matter in the grand scheme of things but we've now had 100 minutes of fairly dire football and regardless of frailty I would prefer to see the flowing football of the early season.
Michael Cooper - 7
Will Aimson - 7
Jerome Opoku - 7
Kelland Watts - 5
Joe Edwards - 7
Tyrese Fornah - 7
Connor Grant - 7
Panutche Camara - 7
Danny Mayor - 7
Ryan Hardie - 6
Niall Ennis - 6
Luke McCormick - unused
Ollie Tomlinson - unused
Adam Lewis - 5
Ben Reeves - 4
Byron Moore - 5
Klaidi Lolos - 5
Luke Jephcott - 5