“Us” and “them” mentality. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

“Us” and “them” mentality.

Oct 5, 2013
Just watched RL’s post-match interview, and it’s all about “we” (the coaches) and “they” (the players).
This can’t be the way to go, can it? Especially publicly.
Surely it always has to be “we” within a team? Creating division like this doesn’t work, in my view.
It’s as if the coaches are a completely separate thing from the players, and poor performances are down to the players alone.
That’s not how I see it, I think the coaches and players are all responsible for a performance, good or bad.

Mar 14, 2009
philevs":o21j1qxz said:
Just watched RL’s post-match interview, and it’s all about “we” (the coaches) and “they” (the players).
Surely it always has to be “we” within a team? Creating division like this doesn’t work, in my view.
It’s as if the coaches are a completely separate thing from the players, and poor performances are down to the players alone.
That’s not how I see it, I think the coaches and players are all responsible for a performance, good or bad.

He (the coaching team) tells them (the players) not to pass sideways as he doesn’t like it. According to him.

So are the players not listening? Or did he lie in his interview? As we continue to do apparently something he doesn’t want us to do.

So it’s either the players doing their own thing and not taking on board what they being told (which is worrying) or it’s Lowe not realising what he is telling the players to do (even more worrying).

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
philevs":2oceb04c said:

He’s been protective of the players all season. Today was the first time he’s hung them out to dry. They deserved it.

Oct 5, 2013
Nobby":37g1djcp said:
philevs":37g1djcp said:

He’s been protective of the players all season. Today was the first time he’s hung them out to dry. They deserved it.

I make it at least the third time.
Do you think the approach of disassociating himself and the coaches from the players is going to work?
Do you think the manager has to take any of the responsibility for the Shrewsbury performance?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Hang on a minute. RL is too matey with the team according to some in here using that as a stick to beat him with. Now he’s too divided from them.

Maybe he is neither and exactly where he should be, but like everything nowadays it has to be polar opposites.

Oct 5, 2013
Daz":2mkvfatt said:
Hang on a minute. RL is too matey with the team according to some in here using that as a stick to beat him with. Now he’s too divided from them.

Maybe he is neither and exactly where he should be, but like everything nowadays it has to be polar opposites.

In this case, we are talking about what RL said, not people’s opinions about what he said - which indeed often are polarised, but that’s the nature of opinions!
What do you think of my opinion that creating division between the coaches and the players, where the crap performance is all put down to the failings of the players and has nothing to do with the coaches, was unhelpful and unlikely to improve things?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Well personally I think Lowe does more to bond with his players than any manager I’ve seen - particularly our last two, it’s evident in the way the players talk about his man management skills, it’s also evident in post match celebrations when we win. I respect the OP’s opinion but I do think it’s an odd one and slightly contradictory to everything I’ve seen from and heard about Ryan Lowe thus far.

Oct 5, 2013
Cobi Budge":2xjmcu6c said:
Well personally I think Lowe does more to bond with his players than any manager I’ve seen - particularly our last two, it’s evident in the way the players talk about his man management skills, it’s also evident in post match celebrations when we win. I respect the OP’s opinion but I do think it’s an odd one and slightly contradictory to everything I’ve seen from and heard about Ryan Lowe thus far.

What is your view of RL’s Shrewsbury post-match interview, in which he said the performance was disgraceful, blamed it entirely on the players, and said they need to look to themselves to improve matters?
He also used “we” (the coaches) and “they” (the players), as I referred to in the OP.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
philevs":1d487otp said:
Cobi Budge":1d487otp said:

What is your view of RL’s Shrewsbury post-match interview, in which he said the performance was disgraceful, blamed it entirely on the players, and said they need to look to themselves to improve matters?
He also used “we” (the coaches) and “they” (the players), as I referred to in the OP.

I think he was angry with his players following a very poor performance. I don’t think there’s much more to it than that.

May 8, 2011
Cobi Budge":7s7lps04 said:

I think you need to expand on what you mean by bond and what evidence you have that Lowe does more of whatever that is than the previous two managers.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
HC Green":w6r86rll said:
Cobi Budge":w6r86rll said:

I think you need to expand on what you mean by bond and what evidence you have that Lowe does more of whatever that is than the previous two managers.

Just off the top of my head, as far as bonding with players is concerned, so far he's not been accused of punching one or making them play/train through injury.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
up_the_line":bvpmphsg said:
HC Green":bvpmphsg said:
Cobi Budge":bvpmphsg said:

Just off the top of my head, as far as bonding with players is concerned, so far he's not been accused of punching one or making them play/train through injury.

....and plenty of his players have praised the atmosphere, including those who played under the previous manager, one of whom said the previous manager hadn't spoken to him for weeks at a time.