Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Who does'nt gush on and on about how we cant get a break, or that was a lucky bounce, say it like it is "We are playing crap" everyone can see that. Also having someone like Sawyer who is a member of the team he is not going to say anything bad about players or management. Also when is a reporter going to ask the questions that everyone is asking instead of sucking up and giving them low ball questions?

Feb 4, 2020
You are spot on...Errington and this guy 'Dan' just kowtow with simple placitudes to our 'Leader' as though he is above all criticism. This gives him an unchallenged platform to simply blame 'the players..game plan blah blah'

Apr 1, 2009
Ottawa Green":3q5v426p said:
Who does'nt gush on and on about how we cant get a break, or that was a lucky bounce, say it like it is "We are playing crap" everyone can see that. Also having someone like Sawyer who is a member of the team he is not going to say anything bad about players or management. Also when is a reporter going to ask the questions that everyone is asking instead of sucking up and giving them low ball questions?

The difficulty is, as I understand it is that Rob McNichol is employed by the club as iFollow commentator, and is not going to say anything too critical. I don't think McNichol is bad, except when paired with Sawyer when he seems to become over "matey" and removes the small critical element he sometimes allows himself. Sawyer, who understandably can't criticise his colleagues, is awful limiting himself to how good his teammates (Cons, Ry, Ty, Pan etc) are at individual skills, regardless of whether such skills are contriibuting positively to the team. As a result this partnership completely loses any empathy with its listeners - whilst they burbled on this afternoon about things not dropping for Argyle, those listening were erupting in fury at what we were witnessing.

McNichol is much better when paired with the likes of Gritton, Fox and Stonebridge who are prepared to analyse what is happening, and cast a critical eye where necessary.

Final point on Sawyer. Hasn't he spent enough time at this club to realise we are Argyle and not Plimuff. Put Gaz in the team please, and let someone else (not a current player) commentate.

smudja

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
Try listening to the away feed on ifollow.. can be quite enjoyable if Argyle are winning.. the commentators have tinted glasses too but sometimes you get an honest view of Argyle awy

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Putting a current player as a commentator is a total misreading of what fans want from commentary. We want honesty and an opinion. And a current player can’t give it. It was arse numbingly bad today. McNichol is good but not with Sawyer. And the need to abbreviate every players name down to the lowest syllable ratio possible just grates. And how do you go from Klaidi Lolos to Klads? I’m sure that was the name he used. Just far too matey. We were crap. We need someone to say it.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I always listen to the away commentators, love to hear the bias. Today's `Salop pair were very good and they said Mayor was the best player on the pitch at times.

I find Rob McNichol very good I also find him very knowledgable.

Aug 5, 2016
Sawyer's nicknames are painful to hear. Not his fault, but a window into dressing room culture you wish you hadn't looked in. And certainly not paid £10 for the privilege.

I like Rob McNichol as a commentator, his clever little asides like in a recent game, Bishop has moved diagonally, as you would expect, give a smile. He is unashamed in his bias. Gary Sawyer is a disappointment, hasn't got the right accent and needs some lessons from Niall Ennis, who clearly knew we are Argyle from day one. Current players don't have to be bad, the Accrington player who co-commentated the game up there (when our iFollow was in an underwater phonebox) was very good. Messrs Fox, Gritton and Stonebridge are good listening.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I keep meaning to listen to the away commentators and keep forgetting. Will definitely do next time.

I think at this point of the season, I may just keep my tenner for the home games too. Though it's a slight conondrum as I think Argyle still got my money from yesterday.

Apr 9, 2011
Sawyer is a complete disaster as co commentator . Obviously he is going to be all matey with those on the pitch thats why he shouldnt be doing the job. It also winds me up with his constant referral to us as" Plymuff ". Also his comment yesterday "we are just having one of those games" i ask you is that what the squad are saying about yesterdays debacle in the dressing room if so they want their collective a***s kicking

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Biggs":bdgr0qj4 said:
I keep meaning to listen to the away commentators and keep forgetting. Will definitely do next time.

I think at this point of the season, I may just keep my tenner for the home games too. Though it's a slight conondrum as I think Argyle still got my money from yesterday.

I was listening to the away comms for yesterday's game, and it made a refreshing change to be honest. Not much bias, and a clear concise view of what was happening on the pitch.

In fact, I have felt that way about a few matches I have watched this season with the away commentary.

It is certainly an area we could improve on for next season.

I also agree, Rob McNichol is not too bad for our comms in general.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
And the constant comments of how Danny Mayor is the best player and that everything flows through him and his wonderful right foot.

The guy doesn't create many chances (2) and hardly scores (1) in 40 games!

He's a clever show-boater, but with no end product.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Honest and critical commentary/reporting you will never get.....whether it's a match day commentator or a journalist.....unless you want to end up watching from a cherry picker or indeed get a banning order....and lose your job..