Match of the Decade. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Match of the Decade.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
As per the players post. Pick your match of the decade....

80s - (H) Bristol City 4-0
90s - (H) Colchester United 3-2
00s - (H) QPR 2-0
10s - (A) Portsmouth 1-2

They were my favourites all for the obvious reasons...led to titles, play off final wins, and the like.
The Bristol game I've never heard Home Park so vociferous and loud. It seemed like there was 60000 in there. :scarf:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Surely there's no debating the 00s and 10s there.

Edit... wait, I read the Portsmouth one as the play-off semi-final win. The Hartley goal is possibly my single favourite second of my entire life so far :lol:, so has to be that game.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
90s - Argyle 4 - 3 Torquay. I was 7 and the game stands out vividly in my memories. Adrian Littlejohn hat trick.

00s - Bristol City 1 - 2 Argyle. I’d recently moved to Bristol, the atmosphere was electric, Rory Fallon finished a superb team goal. Walked home smiling the whole way in the tipping rain.

10s - Peter Hartley.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That Colchester match is my greatest ever, it had everything.

April 1986. The run-in for promotion under Dave Smith. Away to Bournemouth. Pre social media and internet days, so it was not until we were en route we learned that not only had Sir Tommy re-signed, but he was playing that day.

Away support was absolutely electric with the news, and so was the team. We won without a goal from TT as I recall, and I have no memory of the game itself, just the dawning realisation that promotion was now even more likely.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
IJN":3sm0turg said:
That Colchester match is my greatest ever, it had everything.
Still can't understand how their centre half wasn't sent off for bringing Aidie Littlejohn down. No wonder Warnock lost his nut.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
Colchester was actually 3-1 on the night - we trailled to a Mark Kinsella goal at their place in the first leg. But that's my favourite Argyle game ever. Zoo corner went mental when Charlie scored at the end. Never been in a crowd like it since.

00's is definitely the QPR game but I didn't go so I'll have to choose either Sheffield Wednesday (1-3), Port Vale (1-5) or Chesterfield (7-0) earlier in that season - that's when it really became clear the team was going places.

I can see why people rate the Pompey play-off game but it ultimately meant nothing so I can't get excited about it any more. It wasn't a glamour tie by all means but winning 1-0 away at Doncaster (Sonny Bradley) in the season we did get promoted was far more important, and we stood really firm to hold on, so I'll pick that. Also, the 0-0 at Anfield will live long in the memories.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Even though we lost, the Wycombe play off first leg was very special. The atmosphere with the whole ground singing 3 little birds with the phone lights going brought a lump to my throat, especially as it coincided with us getting some goals and being back in the tie for the second leg. It’s a shame that we ballsed up the second leg so spectacularly.

Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
GreenThing":3pmdu8fq said:
Even though we lost, the Wycombe play off first leg was very special. The atmosphere with the whole ground singing 3 little birds with the phone lights going brought a lump to my throat, especially as it coincided with us getting some goals and being back in the tie for the second leg. It’s a shame that we ballsed up the second leg so spectacularly.

Not that anyone ever enjoys a loss but this game was probably the best feeling after a loss. To be 3-0 down with 5 minutes to go was devastating but the lights and 3 little birds lifted spirits. Ansah goal was brilliant and at full time there were cheers and optimism. Weird but memorable.

Jul 18, 2011
mervyn":14x97ltf said:
April 1986. The run-in for promotion under Dave Smith. Away to Bournemouth. Pre social media and internet days, so it was not until we were en route we learned that not only had Sir Tommy re-signed, but he was playing that day.

Away support was absolutely electric with the news, and so was the team. We won without a goal from TT as I recall, and I have no memory of the game itself, just the dawning realisation that promotion was now even more likely.

One of my favourites too, Steve Cooper was unplayable that day.

Also surprised no-one has mentioned Darlington at Wembley, our only success at the play-offs.

Also the 8-1 at Hartlepool, we were unplayable that day but it was all for nothing. I hate the play-offs....

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Pift":3i2zac8x said:
GreenThing":3i2zac8x said:

Not that anyone ever enjoys a loss but this game was probably the best feeling after a loss. To be 3-0 down with 5 minutes to go was devastating but the lights and 3 little birds lifted spirits. Ansah goal was brilliant and at full time there were cheers and optimism. Weird but memorable.

Remember that Banton also got one to make it 3-2. It doesn’t seem like 6 years ago, time flies!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Pift":3cnjisgf said:

I had totally forgotten about Zak Ansah, had to look him up. Strange career https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_Ansah

To be honest, I hated both of those games against Wycombe. Oh so deflating, and depressing being 3-0 down at home to Wycombe Wanderers in our biggest post-admin game. I guess that's what made the crowd reaction special, though.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Acutely personal this one, the player thing is much more stats and outside-opinion influenced, though all of it still strikes of that gamification nonsense like: film of the year, or bet in game time, or the concept of an individual being extremely frequently not likely to be stopped in attacking intent by the whole 5 man defence aka “unplayable” which must only occur per one day in ten thousand Brazilian junior nation leagues day round of fixtures.

Ahoo:

80’s: Derby County 0-0 at home in that there all-out Cup, which was a delicious knife edge all wenting our way as I recall, played out in front of those mentalists ransacking the Demport; Turnips at home later on. 4-0 was a mere procession, one could smell the fear soon as their sad shower back then bussed up.

90’s: likely Colchester for most as the boss man Ian says: had everything in two hours of tick down no doubt, but personal fave was Port Vale 2-0 at home in 92, the Dwight Pelesque-goal after all the edge on the terraces preceding, my vote.

00’s: Qpr at home. 2-0: should never have stayed at the hotel they chose, thought we’d blow it anyhow, they ended up not fancying it, their lot very gracious afterwards however, classy; but, instilled belief for us for a while.

10’s: personal fave was the 2-2 first leg of play off versus Pompey pre Hartley goal that was a terribly tense game at HP, under Cook Portsmouth made for a good game at their place and the touché of Que Sera from 2K fans after thinking it was Wycombe repeated after the mockneys went 1 up, my vote.

Aug 5, 2016
The game in the OP picked for the 2010s, away to Pompey.

We got battered for most of that game and our general play was awful.

We rescued the poor performance with two goals in the last 5 mins.

It was a jubilant feeling stealing the points after being battered for 80 mins, but it was never the greatest match of 10 years.

Being all over Pompey in the play off semi final second leg and winning with a last gasp goal to go to Wembley surely has to rank higher than that?

May 11, 2019
Slightly self indulgent but here goes:

1970’s - 12 April 1971 first ever game 1-1 home to Fulham, Jimmy Hinch scored, interestingly we finished 15th in the third tier, so no progress in 50 years! Also thanks to GOS I noticed they played, home to Torquay on the Saturday, home to Fulham on the Monday and away to Bristol Rovers on the Tuesday.

1980’s - Home to Man City, 0-2 at half and came back to win 3-2, classic

1990’s Play off semi final - Colchester - simply the best

2000’s - promotion at Rochdale -never did enough away games

2010’s - most disappointing period - Peter Hartley v Pompey